DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Interior Modifications - Custom Audio / Video

Notices

Custom Dodge Ram Interior Modifications - Custom Audio / Video All custom mods on the interior of your Dodge Ram. Dodge Ram stereo mods, alarms, electronics, shift knobs, upholstery, etc.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 06-24-2012, 11:57 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2008 dodge ram
Trim Level: slt
Color: red
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:10
williecarrillo is on a distinguished road
Default are these going to be loud enough ?

I think i rushed into buying a sub system and i am worried that what i bought may not be powerful enough or loud enough. and just generally ignorant to everything i need.

I Already have a reciever a kenwood kvt 696 and replaced all the stock speakers. The system is loud enough now but i want something that has more bass i am wondering if anyone can tell me if what i purchased is going to give me what i am looking for sound wise and clarity

I bought as a box
http://www.ebay.com/itm/DODGE-RAM-EX...ht_1594wt_1156

as subs i got 2 12"
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_107DXI1...24.html?tp=111

and as for an amp i bought a
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_136JX50....html?tp=35834
Sponsored links
Old 06-25-2012, 01:53 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2012 Ram
Trim Level: Sport Crewcab
Color: True Blue Pearl
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:248
LeftCoast has a spectacular aura aboutLeftCoast has a spectacular aura aboutLeftCoast has a spectacular aura about

I am not a mobile sound expert, but I thought that with the bigger subs the soundwaves get further away. What I mean is that with the 12's the car next to you will hear tons of Bass, but it might not sound as loud to you. I'm thinking that 10's would be more than big enough for how close in proximity you are.
Old 06-25-2012, 03:34 AM

Vehicle: 2012 1500 Crew Cab
Trim Level: Big Horn 4x4
Color: Bright White Clearcoat
Rep:310
SS4Luck is a jewel in the roughSS4Luck is a jewel in the roughSS4Luck is a jewel in the roughSS4Luck is a jewel in the rough

There are better subs out there for around the same price and I would run a larger amp (think in the 1000W range)

I also believe those JL amps arent 1ohm stable and running 2 4ohm subs you would want to wire down to a 1ohm load possibly hurting the amp.

Also in a sealed setup the subs arent going to be "as loud" as in a ported setup. Most people just love the typeRs and with their new design they actually get down pretty well.

2 12" TypeRs on a 1000RMS @ 1 ohm amp would make for an awesome setup

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftCoast View Post
I am not a mobile sound expert, but I thought that with the bigger subs the soundwaves get further away. What I mean is that with the 12's the car next to you will hear tons of Bass, but it might not sound as loud to you. I'm thinking that 10's would be more than big enough for how close in proximity you are.
It is exponentially louder in my passanger seat that it is in the bed of my truck. I think you got something mixed up.

Sound waves are created either at the port (in a ported setup) or at the cone (sealed setup). The farther the waves have to travel the weaker they get (in theory). There are things like echo effect and enclosure design/vehicle design that can affect it, but usually the loudest part of a bass system is the port (sealed, windows up) or at a window/opening (outlaw style SPL readings). It will never be outside the car though

2011 Big Horn 4x4 -SnowWhite-
1 7/8ths catless ARH ceramic coated longtubes - Sport mirrors-55W 5000K HID low and fogs-LED EVERYTHING
Old 06-25-2012, 09:22 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2003 Dodge Ram QC
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Atlantic Blue
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
bgreer is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by williecarrillo View Post
I think i rushed into buying a sub system and i am worried that what i bought may not be powerful enough or loud enough. and just generally ignorant to everything i need.

I Already have a reciever a kenwood kvt 696 and replaced all the stock speakers. The system is loud enough now but i want something that has more bass i am wondering if anyone can tell me if what i purchased is going to give me what i am looking for sound wise and clarity

I bought as a box
http://www.ebay.com/itm/DODGE-RAM-EXT-CAB-02-08-DUAL-12-SUB-BOX-ENCLOSURE-NEW?item=330749537725&cmd=ViewItem&_trksid=p5197.m 7&_trkparms=algo%3DLVI%26itu%3DUCI%26otn%3D5%26po% 3DLVI%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D152125965009211011#ht_15 94wt_1156

as subs i got 2 12"

It's hard to tell if it's going to be as loud as you want. It will have a lot more bass than the factory system, but some people just love a ton of bass.

The subs and amp will go fine together. Wire the subs in parallel to the amp. That will show the amplifier a 2 ohm load. The amp is rated to put out 500 watts RMS at 2 ohms. Each sub will see half of that power. The subs are rated to handle up to 360 watts RMS. So that is all good.

The sub box you've got is sealed and has .55 cubic feet per enclosure. Polk recommends a sealed enclosure of .88 cubic feet per subwoofer. That may be a little bit of a problem. With the subwoofer in a box smaller than is ideal, it may not sound as good as it should. It may not play lower frequencies as well, either.

But one thing that helps with too small of a sealed enclosure is stuffing the enclosure with some polyester fiberfill (think pillow type stuffing). It comes as loose fibers or batting (mats). Stuffing the enclosure with polyester fiberfill will give the enclosure more of a 'springiness' than just the air in the enclosure. This will make the enclosure 'look' bigger to the subwoofer than it really is. I've always heard the rule of thumb is one pound of stuffing per cubic foot. So one pound should do both enclosures. This will help the subs play lower and they should sound really tight.

I hope this helps you out.
Old 06-25-2012, 09:44 PM

Vehicle: 2012
Trim Level: Express
Color: Black
Rep:24
PX8black is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by williecarrillo View Post

I bought as a box
http://www.ebay.com/itm/DODGE-RAM-EX...ht_1594wt_1156

as subs i got 2 12"

Money wise you could have bought those 12's at $53 each and you could have bought a jx1000/1d for about $270 at amazon.
K&N CAI, Hellwig 7709 rear sway bar, Trifold bed cover, painted the calipers red, debadged, WeatherTech floor mats, windows tinted, Rhino bed liner, Mopar color matched gas filler door, Recon third brake, Spec-D Projectors, smoked tail lights, Carbon fiber shorty antenna, McGaughy's 2/4 deluxe drop, Moroso 85479 oil separator, 18" Magnaflow, Lamin-X Gunsmoke Tint, Custom Billet Badges, EGR window visors, Jl audio and JBL speakers, Fastman TB,
Old 06-25-2012, 10:32 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: Lone Star w/ 26L pkg
Color: Brilliant White Clearcoat
Rep:65
MoparMike10 will become famous soon enough

The sub/amp combo is not bad given their power ratings. The problem that I see is in regards to your question of "is it going to be loud enough?" The box is smaller than the speaker's recommended enclosure volume and it is a relatively low power system. Sealed enclosures also require more power to attain higher db's than ported enclosures do. When combining those two facts, the loudness may or not be what you are looking for. That all depends on what you define as "loud" and that is subjective.

Since you have already bought these items, I would give them a run to see how they sound to you. Stuffing the box with polyfill is a good way to trick the sub into thinking it is in a larger enclosure, and I would recommend doing it. Try it first without it and then add it in to see the difference it can make. It won't be a phenomenal change, but you should notice it.

If you are unsatisfied, then a higher powered amplifier and subs that can handle the increased power, along with matching up with your enclosure's volume a little better are the next step.

Audio - Pioneer AVH-P4400BH - PPI Phantom 900.4 and 1000.1 - Boston Pro 60s - Hybrid Audio Legatia L3s - 2x Image Dynamic IDQ10s
Mods - GroundForce 2/3 lowering kit - 24" Color-matched Wheels - K&N Intake - Katzkin Leather Interior
Old 06-26-2012, 02:38 AM

Vehicle: 2010 Ram Quad Cab 4X4
Trim Level: ST
Color: Brilliant Black
Rep:27
StoneyWV is on a distinguished road

I like the variety of opinions

Now for mine. if you are running those subs in a smaller than recommended enclosure I would want to run more than recommended power to them. I concur with the 1000w recommendation for dual sealed box; about 400 to each would be good. I"m kind of picky about my sound quality and you sound the same so I think you will likely end up replacing the amp first because you will try and get more out of them with power and then you will end up swapping the box because you will assume that you are restricting the sub movement with the lack of space.

I'm not a FOX Acoustic guy, but it's very hard to beat the box for the value of it, if you just want nice loud bass and aren't concerned with space. Ported Dual 10 fox box with quality Type R, ARC, Punch woofers getting 500wrms for pair will likely significantly louder than the above setup.

In the end, underpowered subs and smaller than recommended enclosure= not happy bass. If you want to stick with everything you have listed and make the most impact, just up the juice to 1000wrms and that should make you smile.
2010 QC ST, 5.7L, 4.10 Gear Swap, 5100 Leveling Shocks at 1.7", K&N Drop-in, Pioneer U310BT, 12" Dayton/Net Audio Sub, JL Components, ARC Audio Amps, Magnaflow 14 inch, Granite Alloys sporting 34" BFG T/A KO, HID conversion full blackout.
Old 06-26-2012, 09:11 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2003 Dodge Ram QC
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Atlantic Blue
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
bgreer is on a distinguished road

StoneyWV makes some good points.

If you can run more power to the subs, that would be good. Subs in a sealed enclosure.....especially a smaller one, can handle more power. The air behind them will help control the movement of the speaker. This allows greater power handling.

Run the stuff that you've already bought and see how you like it. Then if you are not happy with something, then upgrade it.