DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > 2009 Dodge Ram Forum

Notices

2009 Dodge Ram Forum For specific discussion of the 2009 Dodge Ram!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 06-25-2012, 06:12 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Sport Regular Cab
Color: Brilliant Black
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
mopar09 is on a distinguished road
Default 09 Ram Owners- Very Important- Please Read

Hello, I am sure you all have heard of and also seen post on here, about the infamous "hemi tick". I noticed my truck was making the ticking sound. At first I thought it was a lifter pecking. After reading threads on here about this sound and looking at my exhaust manifold bolts I realized that the problem was, that I had 2 bolts broken off at the head near the number 7 and 8 cylinders. I had my wife to take my truck to the dealership this morning for an appointment due to the fact I was at work. When I bought the truck I bought it used with 16,972 miles on it. Right now it has 31,542. I have owned the truck almost 2 years. When I called to talk to someone at the dealership to talk to them about this problem and have an appointment set up, the lady in the service department new right away what I was talking about, and said that it was a problem but Chrysler Corporation had now issued a recall. Again, I had my wife to take the truck to the dealership this morning. While at work I received a phone call from wife and she told me that the dealership had called her to let her know exactly what they were doing and that it would be covered under my extended warranty. Clearly I made the right choice of buying the extended warranty even though I have to pay a one time 100.00 deductible. The factory warranty ran out in mid January so I'm thankful for playing it smart and buying the extended warranty. Needless to say, my wife told me that the lady in the service department said that they had to replace the whole exhaust manifold itself because the gasket had come out due to the bolts breaking, which of course, warped the manifold. My reason for posting this is, if you have experienced this problem in the past or if you are experiencing it now, you definitely should have it checked out. Not only could it be the bolts broken off but it could be the exhaust manifold itself as well. If you have the 5yr/100,000 miles factory warranty then its covered under the powertrain part of your warranty. Hope this is some helpful information and hope no one has to experience a problem like this. I am supposed to be picking my truck up tomorrow after work. The dealership has been great in helping me and serving me well so far. One thing that did not make sense to me is this. I was told the reason I had to wait until tomorrow to pick it up was because they had to order the gasket. If they have the exhaust manifold itself in stock, surely, hopefully they would have the gasket in stock. Beats me. If anyone has any questions about this feel free to pm me or leave a post. I will help to the best of my knowledge.

Sincerely - Justin(mopar09)
Old 06-25-2012, 06:19 PM

*Correction, I meant to put Chrysler Corporation had "not" issued a recall. My apologies!
Old 06-27-2012, 09:02 PM

Vehicle: 2014 ram sport crewcab rambox
Color: black
Rep:346
crusher is a jewel in the roughcrusher is a jewel in the roughcrusher is a jewel in the roughcrusher is a jewel in the rough

mine is going in tomorrow for this but the service manager said it whould be warranty under the 5 year plan but he also mention that most of the time the manifold is to be replace and they dont have it stock so probably it wont be fix tomorrow,..
Old 06-28-2012, 08:42 PM

crusher is a jewel in the roughcrusher is a jewel in the roughcrusher is a jewel in the roughcrusher is a jewel in the rough

so i went today to see the service manager, they check my truck and their going to replace all passerger side manifold bolts , the gasket and the manifold itself.,.. they didnt had the part so they will be doing it a other day
Old 06-29-2012, 09:23 AM

Trim Level: SLT
Color: Blue
BlueRam1500 is on a distinguished road

I am having the same problem and looks like sometime next week before they can get me in...sound is starting to tick me off...!
Old 07-02-2012, 01:46 PM

Vehicle: 2oo9 standard cab 4~4 1500 ram
Trim Level: plain
Color: pearl black
eltoro2 is on a distinguished road

mine has the sme trouble tic dealer says that normal thats what they say about everthing so what u going to do .?/
Old 07-02-2012, 04:35 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 2X4
Trim Level: quad cab SLT
Color: sunburst orange pearl
Rep:2597
GTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond repute

RECALLs are usually used for Safety issues

Chrysler has TSBs, RRTs, CSNs
Technical Service Bulletins
Rapid Response Transmittals
Customer Satisfaction Notifications

date of invoice September 01, 2010
there was a RRT 10-009 Exhaust Manifold Stud Replacement
my invoice does mention a Recall

Perform RRT 10-009 Engine Tick Noise
cause P00
30 Perform Recall Services

RRT 10-009 955 5.7L Unable to perform RRT 10-009 Exhaust Manifold Stud Replacement, Parts on back order, will install parts when they arrive

The dealership several weeks later had to go to a Public Vendor to buy the Bolts, at my insistence, i was about to do several long distance jobs & they know what i do for a living, no charges were applied
Ram 1500 SLT Quad cab, 5.7 HEMI(R) MDS VCT, 5 speed auto 545RFE, 3.55 differential gears, 18" Magnaflow muffler, EGR bug deflector, Bushwacker fender flares, customized Nfab nerf bars, CB radio, Autonet wi-fi router, custom soft tonneau cover, Line_X bedliner, DEBO Step, build date 10/15/08 a Wednesday built vehicle
Old 07-07-2012, 09:15 AM

the first dealer i went said it was normal, went to a other dealer told them that i hear sound from my manifold and that its covered under the five year warranty and they look at it and found out that the passenger side bolts where broken and that the manifold bent ,.. so their doing it under the warranty,..
Old 07-08-2012, 03:55 PM

I have my truck back. It sounds and runs so much better. I apologize for not responding to everyone's post quicker. I have been working a lot of overtime. We had 2 bad storms to hit us here in WV and I have been working crazy hours cutting trees out of the roads, off of peoples houses, and off of their vehicles. Seems like this is a big problem with dealerships. Mine was covered under the extended warranty and I only had to pay a 100.00 deductible. The sad part is they still thought they were going to charge me the full amount for the repair until they realized all I had to pay was the deductible. Hope everyone has better luck with this and that your repairs go better than mine or are covered under warranty. Any questions just leave a post or pm me. Again I apologize for not responding any quicker.

-Justin(mopar09)
Old 07-13-2012, 11:34 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram Laramie 4x4
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: White
KevinGoodyear is on a distinguished road

Justin, how much did the extended warranty cost you? I just bought a 2009 4x4 with 60,100, Laramie and I have not heard any ticking sound...does it sound like a blown exhaust manifold gasket? It doesnt sound like the typical fuel injector ticking right? Also, went and bought 16 spark plugs from the dealership yesterday and the dude behind the counter seemed like he didnt have a clue about any service PM intervals...oh well, guess I can count on this forum...Later, Kevin