DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 4TH Generation Dodge Ram 2009+ Dodge Ram Trucks > Powertrain > 5.7L (345 cu in) HEMI V8 Specific Topics

Notices

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 06-27-2012, 02:47 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2011 Ram Sport 4X4 Crew Cab
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Deep water blue pearl
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:13
bluedodgeram is on a distinguished road
Unhappy 2011 5.7 Hemi Engine Knock, very embarrasing.

Hello everyone, I'm just looking to see if anyone knows about this engine noise that I have. When I first start the truck, the engine starts up quiet, and smooth as it rpm's rise, then as the engine idles down, you hear the knock, pause knock, knock, knock, then the knock comes once in a while, then quietens out, as the engine temp. rises. Hopefully this isn't an issue, when the weather gets colder the knock seems louder, hopefully a Chrysler engineer can answer my question, for the knock is annoying and embrassing at the same time. It would definately drive away future Dodge Ram owners to another Manufacturer.
Sponsored links
Old 06-27-2012, 04:37 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2012 ram reg cab express
Trim Level: Express
Color: Silver
Rep:79
dusterman will become famous soon enough

It's called the hemi tick all hemis eventually get it. Mine does the same on my 2012 my dad does it on his 04 and that's a non Vvt hemi. Don't fret most of us have it. Can you make vid I want to here how loud it is mines just a loud tick but ounce it gets warmed up it goes away
Old 06-27-2012, 05:29 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2011 Ram Sport 4X4 Crew Cab
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Deep water blue pearl
Rep:13
bluedodgeram is on a distinguished road

I will make a video when the so called hemi knock, tick occurs, I just got home from work, and I can't reproduce the noise at this time. The engine has to be cold, usually first morning start she will do it. The funny thing is, when I changed my oil to synthic 5w20, that's when I noticed it. A direct injected engine will make noise from the injectors, because of the high pressure fuel system, same as an older deisel engine would. But the hemi has no reason to have this knock, tick. Metal to metal sound, doesn't sound right to me.
Old 06-27-2012, 06:23 AM

Vehicle: 2009 Ram Sport
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
zabman is on a distinguished road

No tick here.80,000km's.
Old 06-27-2012, 10:48 AM

Vehicle: 2013 Dodge Ram 2500
Trim Level: ST
Color: Mineral
Rep:21
Parkersdad is on a distinguished road

I wonder if you are getting spark knock. What gas are you running? All Hemis tick but not like you are describing.
Old 06-27-2012, 01:21 PM

Vehicle: 2014 Ram RC SB
Trim Level: Express
Color: Blue streak pearl
Rep:18
mark09sport is on a distinguished road

My 09 had a terrible knock on start up only when you put it in gear.
They replaced the whole engine block under warranty & said the bearings were shot after pulling the oil pan!
2014 Ram Express 4x4 Reg cab Short bed 5.7, 8spd, 3.92 gears, Blue streak pearl with all options. 180 T stat, drop in, wrapped intake tube, 24" Mufflex, 2 1/2 lift, Black out ram emblems, Tail light tints.
More MODS to come!
Old 06-27-2012, 01:29 PM

Vehicle: 2011 dodge sport 1500 hemi
Trim Level: sport
Color: green
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:636
huntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to all

just to be sure, change your oil and filter to rule out any problem with those. i have never heard the hemi tick described like this and makes me wonder about oil, filter and manifold leak.
Old 06-27-2012, 01:41 PM

Vehicle: 2014 4x4 Regular Cab w/8ft bed
Trim Level: Tradesman 4x4
Color: White
Engine: 2013-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 395hp 410lb/ft
Rep:974
Gantman is a splendid one to beholdGantman is a splendid one to beholdGantman is a splendid one to beholdGantman is a splendid one to beholdGantman is a splendid one to beholdGantman is a splendid one to beholdGantman is a splendid one to beholdGantman is a splendid one to behold

Hello bluedodgeram! Well the knocking noise you are describing sounds similar to mine upon first start up after sitting parked overnight. To me it sounds like the trans just going through it's cycling of getting fluid to the torque converter and everywhere else from sittin parked overnight. It only occurs at first start up and not the rest of the day I am running about. Compared to the other brands, I have come to expect the high performance Hemi and its style of tranny to be a bit noisier than anything else out there. Am I concerned, no, that's what your 100000 mile powertrain warranty is for.
Old 06-27-2012, 01:51 PM

Vehicle: 2012 2500 4x4 Crew
Trim Level: Bighorn
Color: Silver
Rep:11
Mophead is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gantman View Post
To me it sounds like the trans just going through it's cycling of getting fluid to the torque converter and everywhere else from sittin parked overnight. It only occurs at first start up and not the rest of the day I am running about.
So what you are saying is dodge still has the same pump leak down problem with their tranny's ? Will it move immediately upon startup or do you have to wait for it to get enough fluid to the system? My 2000 experienced codes at 50 miles. They replaced a valve body under a service bulletin at 200 miles. I had multiple check engine lights due to transmission codes while under warranty. I had it serviced at the dealer under the severe duty cycle. At 37100 when it wouldn't move dodge wouldn't repair it under warranty. The service manager even recommended a rebuilt over a new because he said I would still have the same problems.

Things that make you go Hmmmm!?
Old 06-27-2012, 02:29 PM

Vehicle: 2014 4x4 Regular Cab w/8ft bed
Trim Level: Tradesman 4x4
Color: White
Engine: 2013-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 395hp 410lb/ft
Rep:974
Gantman is a splendid one to beholdGantman is a splendid one to beholdGantman is a splendid one to beholdGantman is a splendid one to beholdGantman is a splendid one to beholdGantman is a splendid one to beholdGantman is a splendid one to beholdGantman is a splendid one to behold

Hello Mophead and Oh No! That's not what I was suggesting at all even though my 99 Ram and 97 Dakota with the 5.9 had that very problem until I invested in an upgrade for the tranny in that matter. Fixed it too by the way. I take it with a grain of salt and just say drive the thing until it breaks. The noises could very well be the nature of the beast. Before I settled with my Ram, my wife and I purposely payed particular attention to the engine noise on three different Ram models;
An SLT 4x2 QC, a Laramie 4x4 CC, and our decision maker, the Lonestar 4x4 CC. In all three models, the noises were identical. Don't get me wrong, I made the comment to the salesman, "Wow, these Hemis carry a little noise with them don't they, compared to my old 99 Magnum?" No matter what make or model we have owned both past and present, a safety or service recall has always come about. Even the so called Giant; Toyota or Lexus, they too still have their share of recalls as I have had to bring Mom's 2006 Highlander Hybrid in twice this year for two seperate recalls both service and safety related. That's why they call them engineers, not God's.

Last edited by Gantman; 06-27-2012 at 02:32 PM.