DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > 2011 Dodge Ram Forum

Notices

2011 Dodge Ram Forum For specific discussion of the 2011 Dodge Ram!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 06-28-2012, 11:58 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: ST
Color: Inferno Red
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:71
wbowyer will become famous soon enough
Default What Happened???

Headed home and stopped to say hey to the other half and the dog (on a walk), left the truck running. Got back in and turned into the neighborhood, truck acted like it was out of gas, ignition and mechanical system lights (lightning bolt and gear box shapes) were blinking furiously. Fuel gauge had bounced over to dead E, even though I had a half tank and was on level ground the whole time. Fuel gauge bounced back to appropriate position and the truck died. I removed the key from the ignition and put her in park for a few minutes, turned the ignition on to allow the fuel pump to run and prime the motor and noticed all of the idiot lights were on. Upon attempting to start she acted like she was out of fuel and continued to attempt to start well after the key had been turned back to "OFF". Disconnected the battery for 30 mins and still no change.
Noted the following:
- all fuses intact
- no leaks in fuel or cooling system
- engine bay was VERY hot (the head had slacked off from 101 to about 88, should not be overheating...also only going about 25 mph for the 10 minutes prior).
- yesterday noted that my fuel gauge registered a full tank with only 3/4 actually in the tank.
- coolant in good shape
- oil in good shape
- trans fluid in good shape
- radiator is not blocked, should be cooling effectively.

Thankfully this occurred less than 1/4 mile from my house, in a relatively low traffic and low speed area. I will note that Chrysler has made a dramatic improvement in their customer service, the towing support rep was very friendly and helpful, and my truck was on the back of the tow truck and headed to the dealer in less than 30 mins. The other customer service rep was also very helpful in getting my claim in for a loaner vehicle in the mean time (all while dealing with the after-hours staff), and I should hear back from a RAM rep tomorrow in regards to the final word on the loaner.

I take very good care of my truck and go the extra mile in terms of using the highest quality products and even paying the dealer to do the service when I could easily do it myself (part of my warranty "forever" contract is that I have them bid on it). I usually run 89 octane fuel and use a fuel system cleaner in every 4th tank (2000mi). I had them upgrade my TC to the R/T converter when there was a warranty issue, but that was months ago and this seems to be unrelated to this. Bottom line: I really don't have any idea what could have cause this, it definitely was not operator error or lack of care/maintenance...especially with under 22,000 on the clock.

Any input would be greatly appreciated!
Sponsored links
Old 06-29-2012, 12:21 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2011 Ram Sport 4X4 Crew Cab
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Deep water blue pearl
Rep:13
bluedodgeram is on a distinguished road
Unhappy Maybe PCM or TIPM plus came loose?

Sorry man, can't think off the top of my head other than maybe your PCM came unhooked, PCM is located on the passenger side, up against the firewall. Or your TIPM, which is your fuse box, there will be a few plugs going into it, check to see if they are tight and plugged in place. Maybe check your grounds for the PCM and TIPM, just a suggestion, hopefully they will find your problem. But I never heard of this issue before, Good Luck.
Old 06-29-2012, 12:28 AM

I checked all of the usual suspects, part of me checking the fuse box was checking the connections. Unfortunately it doesn't appear to be anything simple. Thanks for the input!
Old 06-29-2012, 12:59 AM
Just some guy in Canada

Vehicle: 2010 Ram 1500 QC
Color: Black
Rep:2581
brad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond repute

There is so much advanced electronics in these trucks now that an issue like this can show up with no warning and is not the result of anything anyone did or didn't do. It has gotten to the point that we are driving a computer that looks like a truck. LOL

Based on your description, I am leaning toward a PCM failure. If it was the TIPM I would have expected different symptoms and if it had been the Instrument Cluster Module, I would have expected it to continue running, maybe not well but running.

Please keep us posted as to what the final repair solution is. It is information like this that helps us all have a better understanding of what makes this computer on wheels tick.

Interested in one of my mods?
If it's underlined, it's a link to that mods thread.

2010 Ram 1500 Hemi Sport, 3.92, Leather, NAV, Alpine, Sunroof, Trailer tow, Brake Contoller, Rear Cam
Mods - 3M clear protect, Decals removed, Electric Tailgate Lock, Tow Hooks, Skid Plates, Bed Rug, Pace Edwards Bedlocker Electric Tonneau, Timbren Rear SES, Tinted Tail Lights, Debadged, Grill Blacked Out, Shorty Antenna, Black Chromed Emblems, Lightly tinted front windows, DS Predator, Cabin Air Filter, K&N Drop In, Mufflex (Magnaflo) DOD24M, Sonnax line pressure booster, Volant CAI
Old 07-01-2012, 07:54 PM

RAM customer service hooked me up with a 5-day rental on Friday; however, I am still no closer to figuring out what has happened with my truck. Truck was towed to the dealer Thursday night, and the dealer was unable to get it worked in on Friday (understandable) and I was assured they would at least get some diagnostics done on Saturday. I have not heard back from the dealer, so I am assuming they are going to take their sweet time since I have a rental.

Has anyone had to have their ECM/PCM replaced? I am assuming that the electrical system is fried, so would this be a modular replacement (just unplug the old unit and plug the new one in and flash the computer)? If it's the fuel system then I'd assume there are some pumps, etc. and be a more in depth process.
Old 07-08-2012, 01:44 PM

Ok, truck has been down over a week and thought I'd give an update in case anyone else runs in to this issue. Keep in mind that the truck was running perfectly and then acted as though it ran out of gas and will not restart as a result. It cranks just fine, but behaves as though no fuel is getting to the motor. There are no leaks and the gas is in good shape.

Truck was towed to a dealer that was closest to my house (not where the truck was purchased). That dealership scanned and found and issue with the Fobik and replaced the ignition. After the ignition was replaced there was no change (Who could have guessed?!) and the dealer blamed the remote starter. Per their suggestion I had the truck towed to the shop where the remote start was installed and they replaced the unit (no change) and completely removed the unit (no change). I then had the truck towed to the dealer where it was purchased and has had all service completed at. The assistant service manager stated that there might have been some wires crossed in the ignition...the ignition that was just installed at another dealer. After describing the situation to him and making him attempt to start the truck I hope it was clear that the issue is not in the damn ignition, it's either in the fuel system or somewhere else in the electrical system. Just to be sure I am not crazy I got up with Viper and they claim the remote start is in no way integrated with any system other than the ignition and locks, and once the other ignition was installed it would have been out of the equation. Just looking for some feedback on whether I am taking the right track that there is no way the ignition is the cause, especially not the remote starter.

I feel as though I am dealing with a bunch of idiots who don't want to fix my truck and act as though it is not their job to get it back up and running. After dealing with Chrysler customer support I am under the impression now that they are going to look for any way to claim it is not covered under the warranty even though my truck is a 2011 with just over 20k miles.
Old 07-19-2012, 09:00 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2011 Ram
Engine: 2009-???? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:23
bodhi is on a distinguished road

Had the exact same thing happen to my 2011 Sport. Well close. Mine started with just the gas gauge reading incorrectly either empty or full. Took it in to service rep, he told me it was the relay or chip or whatever the technical computer jargon name for the sensor that reads fuel level was bad. Then told me to just bring it in when I could and that it would not cause a problem. That was about a week ago. Last night driving home from dinner it dropped from half tank to empty and then died, luckily two houses down from mine. We checked wires harnesses and fuses, disconnected battery for an hour. With no luck. Called roadside had it towed in to dealer. They had it fixed by four this afternoon. They said it was the fuel pump and sensor, they replaced it checked for codes and everything is good. Truck is running great. Hopefully they have gotten yours fixed by now but if not maybe this can help. Sorry your experience with this has not been good.
Old 07-20-2012, 02:23 PM
"Just living the dream"

Vehicle: 2013 Dodge Ram Longhorn
Trim Level: Longhorn Rambox
Color: Prairie Pearl / White Gold Trim
Rep:1634
Chunkem has a brilliant futureChunkem has a brilliant futureChunkem has a brilliant futureChunkem has a brilliant futureChunkem has a brilliant futureChunkem has a brilliant futureChunkem has a brilliant futureChunkem has a brilliant futureChunkem has a brilliant futureChunkem has a brilliant futureChunkem has a brilliant future

Sorry to hear that...Please keep us updated on how things turn out......

Enjoy RamForumZ? Support your forum and become a SITE SUPPORTER today!

Please be sure you understand the Ram ForumZ RULES

"MOST OF ALL HAVE FUN AND ENJOY THE SITE"
Old 07-27-2012, 12:05 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2012 Ram 2500 Outdoorsman
Trim Level: Outdoorsman
Color: White
Rep:22
mriboy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodhi View Post
Had the exact same thing happen to my 2011 Sport. Well close. Mine started with just the gas gauge reading incorrectly either empty or full. Took it in to service rep, he told me it was the relay or chip or whatever the technical computer jargon name for the sensor that reads fuel level was bad. Then told me to just bring it in when I could and that it would not cause a problem. That was about a week ago. Last night driving home from dinner it dropped from half tank to empty and then died, luckily two houses down from mine. We checked wires harnesses and fuses, disconnected battery for an hour. With no luck. Called roadside had it towed in to dealer. They had it fixed by four this afternoon. They said it was the fuel pump and sensor, they replaced it checked for codes and everything is good. Truck is running great. Hopefully they have gotten yours fixed by now but if not maybe this can help. Sorry your experience with this has not been good.
Same Thing just happened to me on my 2011 sport they changed out sensor 2 days ago so for so good.
Old 07-30-2012, 01:44 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2011 Ram 1500 CC
Trim Level: Laramie
Rep:10
SleepyWeasel is on a distinguished road

Any updates as to what caused this?