DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > 2012 Dodge Ram Forum

Notices

2012 Dodge Ram Forum For specific discussion of the 2012 Dodge Ram!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
FGT Motorsport
Bayou Goat Mounts
Mopar Online Parts!

Old 10-19-2015, 03:03 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Black
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
IBEWSteve is on a distinguished road
Default Valuing your truck

When you add a bunch of aftermarket parts to make your truck awesome, how do you value it when it comes time to sell? Do you just assume depreciation based on the time it's been installed, or do you just say 50% off cost, or are you valuing it like a dealer would and say it isn't worth anything etc?

I am just curious since I look at how much it will take to pay my truck off, how much I put into it and then I kbb it to see its value, so I am wondering where the break point is.
Sponsored links
Old 10-19-2015, 03:18 PM

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: Sport Crew
Color: True Blue Pearl
Rep:1123
LowUFO has much to be proud ofLowUFO has much to be proud ofLowUFO has much to be proud ofLowUFO has much to be proud ofLowUFO has much to be proud ofLowUFO has much to be proud ofLowUFO has much to be proud ofLowUFO has much to be proud ofLowUFO has much to be proud of

I think others will agree. Take off some of the higher dollar stuff, sell that stuff at half or better of original price, and leave on the lower dollar stuff that's labor intensive to remove. Then sell at the going rate for an unmolested vehicle.
Old 10-19-2015, 04:32 PM

Vehicle: 2012 Ram Sport crew cab 4X4
Trim Level: Sport Crew Cab 4x4
Color: Black
Engine: 2009-2012 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Black12Sport is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBEWSteve View Post
When you add a bunch of aftermarket parts to make your truck awesome, how do you value it when it comes time to sell? Do you just assume depreciation based on the time it's been installed, or do you just say 50% off cost, or are you valuing it like a dealer would and say it isn't worth anything etc?

I am just curious since I look at how much it will take to pay my truck off, how much I put into it and then I kbb it to see its value, so I am wondering where the break point is.
What's awesome to you is seldom awesome to a stranger. To the average buyer aftermarket parts add little or no value. Depending on what's been added it might even shy people away from making an offer. If you want the broadest appeal you'd be better off removing what you can and selling the parts by themselves. Make the truck as factory looking as possible. Good luck.
Old 10-21-2015, 10:03 AM

Vehicle: 2012 Ram
Trim Level: Ram 1500, ST
Color: Silver
dblj1500 is on a distinguished road

Yup, Dealer wont pay extra for add on's or atleast from all my experiances they wont. My 05 ram had a bed rug, cap, air intake, side steps dual exhaust and aftermarket radio in it. When i brought it to the dealer to trade it in and he gave me his price i said what about all the xtra's....he said take them off. We wont give you anything for them right down to the side steps. I said well thats a basic thing everyone wants on a truck and he said if you dont want to lose the money on them, take them off cause we wont give you anything for them. I would have just left them on but i paid $600 at the dealer for them so i yanked them. Sold everything on craigslist in one shot as a package deal.
Old 10-21-2015, 09:28 PM

Vehicle: 2012 Ram Hemi Regular Cab
Trim Level: ST
Color: Mineral Gray
Rep:277
GrayhemiST is a jewel in the roughGrayhemiST is a jewel in the roughGrayhemiST is a jewel in the rough

Nope...every dealer has told me extras are for personal tastes....they go by year, options and milage