DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 8.0 Liter V10

Notices

Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 8.0 Liter V10 Discuss modifying your Dodge Ram with Performance Parts and Accessories!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 07-04-2012, 10:13 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 98 ram v10 4x4
Trim Level: laramie slt 4x4
Color: silver and black
Engine: 1994-2001 488ci (8.0L) LA V10 300 hp 450lb/ft
Rep:10
robert malek is on a distinguished road
Default jet stage 2 module for 98 v10

Interested in feedback on this. seriously considering buying jet stage 2. there is no controller for the 98 v10. no diablo or sct. called them and every other company. called summit. I read here about guys that have controllers but maybe they no longer make them. henceforth, anyone have experience with the jet stage 2 ? its all i can find.
for gas mileage, I would like to recommend to all, electric fans. made an improvement whereas gibson headers and hooker max flo muffler made zero improvement in regards to anything. now i know its a package that makes the diff, but to change the muffler and put on headers i don't expect absolutely nothing.
jet module increases timing and fuel. such a change should help keep at least the overdrive engaged and or torque converter lockup from unlocking on hills. i got terrible 3.25 mpg going up the 8-9 % las vegas hill for 12 miles. i have a 98 v10 4x4 with 3.54 gears, 285-75-16 tires, quad cab long bed, thousand pound camper 15 inches above cab, 50 degree wind fairing on top of cab roof to help with the wind resistance, 450 pounds on board not including me which adds another 500 - just kidding. what really destroyed the gas mileage was the overdrive coming off and torque converter unlocking. the extra 1000 rpms sucked fuel like crazy. the truck handled the hill without a sweat, barely pressing on the pedal but boy was it terrribly hungry ! It was also 100 degrees and I had a minor vac leak. not enough to take the vehicle out of spec on vac but enough not to be optimum. I am going to be setting up cold air ram air that I am fabricating myself in addition to all i have done. in regards to gibson headers, they never provided me dyno testing sheets like I asked em, when I went there I saw no testing going on, no welding or manufacturing, I have pics of the horrible headers I received. I even had to re do my brake lines for the headers to fit since they were touching them. in addition, couldn't even put in all the bolts since the holes werent made right on the flanges.
Sponsored links
Old 07-04-2012, 11:18 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2003 Dodge Ram 1500 QC
Trim Level: SLT Lonestar Edition
Color: Flame Red
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:257
HemiLonestar is a jewel in the roughHemiLonestar is a jewel in the roughHemiLonestar is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via AIM to HemiLonestar Send a message via MSN to HemiLonestar Send a message via Yahoo to HemiLonestar

Did you try B&G? I don't know if they go back that far...

"Big Red"
2003 Ram 1500 QC Hemi Lonestar Edition (Mods list in profile)
2006 Charger R/T
Sarcasm - it beats killing people
Old 07-04-2012, 11:19 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 1997 Dodge Ram 2500
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Silver
MattNRamV10 is on a distinguished road

If you have an OBD II port under your dash, go to google and look up hemifever tuning. He does custom tuning using an SCT 9550 tuner. With what you have all you would need is the 'can' tune which is for bolt ons. It runs $285 and you would need a 180 degree thermostat. I have heard nothing but good things about these so you might want to give it a try.
Old 07-10-2012, 01:14 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

hi guys. thank you for the info. regarding b and g, they are an option. you send then your computer, they program it and send it back for 350. i just didn't want to go to b and g - dave. about a year ago, when i first started dodge ram club of america ( which is now closed due to lack of interest and major problems with suppliers ). if you go to the site, i don't know what version i have up, there were many where i tried everything so i don't wish to comment on the dodge ram club of america and don't know if i will ever try again with the "club." maybe ill sell it or something ) anyway, enjoy the flash intro.
okay, back to b and g. so here I just started my club and agreed to recommend dave to my members and dave agreed to give the dodge ram club of america members a 20% - 25% discount on tuning work. so i posted such on the website. then dave makes me look like a moron by cutting out without telling me and for no reason whatsoever will not return all calls and emails, leaving me hanging with me, my club and my members. so obvsiouly i don't like dave. the python/venom company also did this to me. they open your account and then screw you for fun closing it leaving you looking like an idiot / liar to your members... i can write a book on the hell of the automotive business and all i went thru which is why i may just sell the dodge ram club of america and maybe write a book on the automotive industry. in reference to hemifever, i had a bad email exhange with him that i will post.
in regards to my computer, sct does not make a controller that will recognize a 98 CALIFORNIA v10
Old 07-10-2012, 02:42 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

my email exchange with hemifever :

What is the advantage of having you do these tunes than just getting a jet stage 2 ? If you don't have my vehicle, then your tune may or may not be better than the jet. It's your tune vs theirs. However, I have the option with you to say I want more timing / and or more fuel or less fuel. Maybe you can "sell" me a bit on this.

I have headers and hooker super comp muffler. I also have 5 inch diameter plumbing pipe real ram air that I fabricated coming in through the top of the hood. I hate the phony ram air bullshit these days. Im an older guy and am nauseated by the phony scoops. In addition, the hood is cutout in four places to allow air cooling of the engine. Im running electric fans as well.

What im looking for right now is gas mileage. I'm thinking I can go with some more timing since the timing I can feel on the truck is terribly low. Since super gas is only 20 cents more a gallon, it may pay to go for the timing that is appropriate for the super. I don't know. If greater timing saves me 20 cents a gallon then getting the extra performance is having your cake and eating it too. Afterall, at least if you have the super timing setup, you can get shell vpower additive with their super gas. As far as the fuel, im thinking of moving the air temp sensor off the intake manifold since the computer reading there is always about at least 50 degrees more than what it actually is. If I want more performance, I simply can put the connector on the air temp sensor on the ram air ducting. If I want a leaner gas mileage setup, it goes back to the manifold. I don't want rich all the time. Most of the time im looking for more gas mileage. My ability here to have some flexibility is appealing to me. Maybe a little more fuel with your tune that I can magnify with this concept. Remember, I want the flexiblity to switch between gas mileage and performance.

im located in california so the gas here is 91 octane, SADLY. no east coast 93 octane in ca. !

what is the benefit of me having an sct tuner WITH YOUR TUNE ? It seems like only you can do the tune anyway so once I plug it in, why not have a jet module if I can't to anything with the sct !!! Please fill me in / educate me here.

So there you go with my truck. What do you think ?

thank you,

robert
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jet isn't a "tuner". It's a plug in module that manipulates voltages and skews signal's to fool the pcm. SCT is a programmer. You hook it to the ODB port and program the pcm with all new tablesets. There's no manipulation, the pcm gets a reflash. My 87 octane tune knocks .3 off the 1/4 mile ET of other v10 trucks. A common complaint on the v10 is the constant lock and unlock of the converter while holding a cruise speed and I mostly correct that. It will in turn give a little better mpg. These trucks are too old for mpg guarantees because so much is old and just plain....old lol.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"These trucks are too old for mpg guarantees because so much is old and just plain....old lol."
I don't think thats funny at all. not at all.
I don't know what is plain about the v10 engine. It has a dual plane intake manifold, the 98 + v10 does not have an engine soot generating egr valve like my buick lucerne does !, and it has roller lifters. I spoke with another tuner about the v10 some months ago and he laughed and said "if you want gas mileage, don't get a v10 ! " very funny. Well, I know a guy that had one who told me he was getting 16 mpg highway. I was getting 13 miles per gallon with a significant vaccum leak causing rough idle, 12 year old copper spark plugs that were never changed on a dis ignition engine for 146k miles !!! thermoclutch fan, tailgate up, regular exhaust manifold, regular muffler. Him and I both have 3.54 gears and 285-75-16 tires. ( this was my truck when I bought it used. )When you put it all together with increased timing and the modifications I have indicated, timing, headers, electric fans you push the v10 right into new cummins diesel category on gas mileage. there is a reason why I had started dodge ram club of america and it is because I loved my truck and love dodge rams. It hurts me when professioinals in the business such as yourself insult a truck that was and still is the most powerful production gas powered four wheel drive pickup ever made and it is people like yourself who make such comments that relegate the truck to the future of the junkyard as parts supply dries up. You know, I was the only one who manufactured the crank timing gear installation tool for the engine. I was the only one who supplied discontinued cam plate bolts and throttle body screws. Why people choose to dump on this truck while give respect to the bogus new "hemi" i will never know.
let's not go ahead with any tuning work sean. I don't like you too much anymore. why people in the automotive business have such bad attitudes, I will never know. so my v10 is old and plain. I should post your email on the v10 forums and see what the guys there think of your comment. OLD AND PLAIN. nauseating just nauseating.
robert
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'm not sure where you took that the wrong way, all I'm saying is I can't guarantee mpg gains because the 15 year old vehicles have a lot of worn down parts to state guarantees.
**Note** Hemifever Tuning is shutdown the week of May 26th to Jun 2nd for Vacation
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I never asked for a guarantee but you should be giving some type of specifics as to what to expect when you want to be paid. I didn't ask for an exact figure or figures. but..... claims like better and imroved only are scam words. AND to assume owners of v10s haven't put siginificant money into their truck restoring it is downright insulting. for myself for instance, every single sensor has been changed on my truck from front to back. In addition, parts wear down in reference to mileage. 15 year old vehicles dont have worn down parts by themselves. now if i pulled a 72 buick out of a barn i agree with you. but a 14 or 15 year old truck ? you must be kidding.

robert malek
Old 07-11-2012, 05:57 PM

Vehicle: 2009 Ram 1500
Color: Deepwater Blue
Rep:127
Swaggerville Ram will become famous soon enoughSwaggerville Ram will become famous soon enough

I see nothing wrong with what he posted.
He was warning you not to expect the world with a tuner on the v10's, they have limitations in stock form.

You have your panties in a bunch for no reason, judging by experiences with others it seems to be common.

Sometimes, to find the problem, one must look in the mirror

"I don't care to hear what your ideas are, mine are better"
Old 07-11-2012, 10:37 PM

Vehicle: 2003 Dodge Ram 1500 QC
Trim Level: SLT Lonestar Edition
Color: Flame Red
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:257
HemiLonestar is a jewel in the roughHemiLonestar is a jewel in the roughHemiLonestar is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via AIM to HemiLonestar Send a message via MSN to HemiLonestar Send a message via Yahoo to HemiLonestar

I'm not seeing anything bad with that exchange other than the fact that you seem to have taken his comments personally. There are no guarantees, especially with an older vehicle (in most states, you truck is 3/4 of the way to collector status), every vehicle is different. There will be a big difference in knowing what will happen with a newer engine that has aftermarket support versus an older engine that was only designed to be a workhorse with little to no aftermarket. He didn't insult your truck, just stating reality as it stands. It sounds like you got mad because no one seems to care about the iron non viper v10...too bad welcome to reality. 03 owners with 5.7's like myself and others pretty much got crapped on by the factory and aftermarket. Do we sit here crying about it? No, we adapt and overcome. If you don't like the guy who can hook you up with custom tuning because you're butt hurt, then go somewhere else. I can tell from personal observation that jet chip your so hung up on will eventually be adapted to by your PCM and you will have to reset your engine adaptives constantly (think weekly) to see any consistent gain out of it. What I can tell you from personal experience is Sean knows what he is doing; he managed to figure out how to custom tune 3.7's in Rams and Jeeps that no one gave a sh!t about and it works. You might consider giving him a chance, because you probably aren't going to find much else out there. There isa good chunk of the online Dodge Ram world (with our "bogus" new hemis, you want to talk about insulting someone's truck) has been tuned by him (either Sean or Stu).

As for mileage with a V10...gotta agree. No one buys a 488 cu V10 in a 3/4 ton truck for it's ability to sip gas. You buy it for it's ability to imitate a diesel and pull ocean liners around at low tide. Any attempt to improve that is admirable, but not really a realistic goal. Hope you can find something/someone who can meet your expectations with all this.

"Big Red"
2003 Ram 1500 QC Hemi Lonestar Edition (Mods list in profile)
2006 Charger R/T
Sarcasm - it beats killing people
Old 07-14-2012, 04:30 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 1997 Dodge Ram 2500
Color: Silver
MattNRamV10 is on a distinguished road

I also dont see what was wrong with that email, the V10 will never get what people would consider "good" gas milage, you signed your life away gas wise when you bought the truck. Also, a 15 year old truck just wont respond to electronic tuning like a brand new truck, and every one will experience something different due to the miles on the vehicle, how hard its life was, and a multitude of other things. Tuning one of these trucks isnt like tuning a diesel or a hemi, after you do all the bolt ons and a tuner if you are lucky you are still probably only going to be sitting with 300-340 rwhp and maybe 480-500 in torque on a good day. After that you start getting into cams, custom tuning, nitrous, forced induction,etc., all of which cost thousands of dollars. If all you want is better gas mileage it would be cheaper to sell the truck and buy a diesel, but if you want to keep the V10, then dont expect to be able to go to the local parts store and buy a bunch of mods for the truck, cause that just wont happen.
Old 07-23-2012, 07:21 PM

Vehicle: 2009 Ram 1500
Color: Deepwater Blue
Rep:127
Swaggerville Ram will become famous soon enoughSwaggerville Ram will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert malek View Post
my email exchange with hemifever :

What is the advantage of having you do these tunes than just getting a jet stage 2 ? If you don't have my vehicle, then your tune may or may not be better than the jet. It's your tune vs theirs. However, I have the option with you to say I want more timing / and or more fuel or less fuel. Maybe you can "sell" me a bit on this.

I have headers and hooker super comp muffler. I also have 5 inch diameter plumbing pipe real ram air that I fabricated coming in through the top of the hood. I hate the phony ram air bullshit these days. Im an older guy and am nauseated by the phony scoops. In addition, the hood is cutout in four places to allow air cooling of the engine. Im running electric fans as well.

What im looking for right now is gas mileage. I'm thinking I can go with some more timing since the timing I can feel on the truck is terribly low. Since super gas is only 20 cents more a gallon, it may pay to go for the timing that is appropriate for the super. I don't know. If greater timing saves me 20 cents a gallon then getting the extra performance is having your cake and eating it too. Afterall, at least if you have the super timing setup, you can get shell vpower additive with their super gas. As far as the fuel, im thinking of moving the air temp sensor off the intake manifold since the computer reading there is always about at least 50 degrees more than what it actually is. If I want more performance, I simply can put the connector on the air temp sensor on the ram air ducting. If I want a leaner gas mileage setup, it goes back to the manifold. I don't want rich all the time. Most of the time im looking for more gas mileage. My ability here to have some flexibility is appealing to me. Maybe a little more fuel with your tune that I can magnify with this concept. Remember, I want the flexiblity to switch between gas mileage and performance.

im located in california so the gas here is 91 octane, SADLY. no east coast 93 octane in ca. !

what is the benefit of me having an sct tuner WITH YOUR TUNE ? It seems like only you can do the tune anyway so once I plug it in, why not have a jet module if I can't to anything with the sct !!! Please fill me in / educate me here.

So there you go with my truck. What do you think ?

thank you,

robert
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jet isn't a "tuner". It's a plug in module that manipulates voltages and skews signal's to fool the pcm. SCT is a programmer. You hook it to the ODB port and program the pcm with all new tablesets. There's no manipulation, the pcm gets a reflash. My 87 octane tune knocks .3 off the 1/4 mile ET of other v10 trucks. A common complaint on the v10 is the constant lock and unlock of the converter while holding a cruise speed and I mostly correct that. It will in turn give a little better mpg. These trucks are too old for mpg guarantees because so much is old and just plain....old lol.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"These trucks are too old for mpg guarantees because so much is old and just plain....old lol."
I don't think thats funny at all. not at all.
I don't know what is plain about the v10 engine. It has a dual plane intake manifold, the 98 + v10 does not have an engine soot generating egr valve like my buick lucerne does !, and it has roller lifters. I spoke with another tuner about the v10 some months ago and he laughed and said "if you want gas mileage, don't get a v10 ! " very funny. Well, I know a guy that had one who told me he was getting 16 mpg highway. I was getting 13 miles per gallon with a significant vaccum leak causing rough idle, 12 year old copper spark plugs that were never changed on a dis ignition engine for 146k miles !!! thermoclutch fan, tailgate up, regular exhaust manifold, regular muffler. Him and I both have 3.54 gears and 285-75-16 tires. ( this was my truck when I bought it used. )When you put it all together with increased timing and the modifications I have indicated, timing, headers, electric fans you push the v10 right into new cummins diesel category on gas mileage. there is a reason why I had started dodge ram club of america and it is because I loved my truck and love dodge rams. It hurts me when professioinals in the business such as yourself insult a truck that was and still is the most powerful production gas powered four wheel drive pickup ever made and it is people like yourself who make such comments that relegate the truck to the future of the junkyard as parts supply dries up. You know, I was the only one who manufactured the crank timing gear installation tool for the engine. I was the only one who supplied discontinued cam plate bolts and throttle body screws. Why people choose to dump on this truck while give respect to the bogus new "hemi" i will never know.
let's not go ahead with any tuning work sean. I don't like you too much anymore. why people in the automotive business have such bad attitudes, I will never know. so my v10 is old and plain. I should post your email on the v10 forums and see what the guys there think of your comment. OLD AND PLAIN. nauseating just nauseating.
robert
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'm not sure where you took that the wrong way, all I'm saying is I can't guarantee mpg gains because the 15 year old vehicles have a lot of worn down parts to state guarantees.
**Note** Hemifever Tuning is shutdown the week of May 26th to Jun 2nd for Vacation
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I never asked for a guarantee but you should be giving some type of specifics as to what to expect when you want to be paid. I didn't ask for an exact figure or figures. but..... claims like better and imroved only are scam words. AND to assume owners of v10s haven't put siginificant money into their truck restoring it is downright insulting. for myself for instance, every single sensor has been changed on my truck from front to back. In addition, parts wear down in reference to mileage. 15 year old vehicles dont have worn down parts by themselves. now if i pulled a 72 buick out of a barn i agree with you. but a 14 or 15 year old truck ? you must be kidding.

robert malek
Quoting for future reference

"I don't care to hear what your ideas are, mine are better"
Old 07-24-2012, 12:40 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 1999 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: slt sport
Color: red
sofast785 is on a distinguished road

Robert, I have a 99 v10 with auto. I have the Jet stage 2 chip installed. Honestly I can't tell any difference in performance. I also have the K&N cold air intake installed. Noticed a little better throttle response and a slight increase in fuel mileage. Now for the big whammy, the v10 trucks have a crapy stock exhaust system. You have headers already installed, and I'm guessing single exhaust. Ok, cut the exhaust after the converters and run duals all the way out. If your truck was like mine, you have duals untill the muffler. Replace the factory converters with high flo units(factory ones are crap) put on a set of performance mufflers( I used Thrush welded turbo flows). Now for the most important exhaust mod, weld in an "H" pipe before the converters not after. This will equalize the exhaust pressure and cause a more even flow. Now with all this done on my v10, I went from 7-8mpg to 10-12mpg. That is a HUGE jump in my book. That's real numbers not someone giving you a load of crap. After the exhaust mods, my v10 woke up. It has instant throttle response, sounds better, and pulls like you wouldn't believe. Hope this helps other v10 owners as well. Oh and I'm also runing 285-75-16 tires with 3.55 gearing.