DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - Dodge Cummins Diesel

Notices

Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - Dodge Cummins Diesel Discuss modifying your Dodge Ram with Performance Parts and Accessories!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 10-15-2012, 01:15 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram 2500 (CTD)
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: White
Engine: 2011-20?? 409ci (6.7L) Cummins Turbo Diesel 350hp 800lb/ft
Rep:10
RugbyRef is on a distinguished road
Default Enough is enough...

Maybe you folks can shed some light on the following - I bought my 2012 Ram 2500 w/CDT in May. I have approx. 9000 miles on it. Over the last thirty days the Check Engine light has come on three times. The first two occurrences were investigated and the service department told me the O2 sensors were, either dirty (which they cleaned), or replaced outright. Well....yesterday the light came on again! I'm bringing the truck back in on Friday to have them, once again, try to fix the problem.

The only mod I have done is to change out the air filter to a K&N. I routinely clean it once a week (OCD...I guess).

Any ideas? This is getting frustrating.

Tim
Sponsored links
Old 10-15-2012, 01:38 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2014 4x4 Regular Cab w/8ft bed
Trim Level: Tradesman 4x4
Engine: 2013-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 395hp 410lb/ft
Rep:974
Gantman is a splendid one to beholdGantman is a splendid one to beholdGantman is a splendid one to beholdGantman is a splendid one to beholdGantman is a splendid one to beholdGantman is a splendid one to beholdGantman is a splendid one to beholdGantman is a splendid one to behold

Sorry to hear of your troubles man. I would always return my vehicle back to stock to try and isolate a problem. Your service department told you it was dirty O2 sensors which could have something to do with your K&N air filter but in my opinion, not too likely, but you never know nowadays with all the EPA Emission junk they throw at these vehicles, especially diesels. Did they write down the code or codes that came up?
Old 10-15-2012, 06:37 PM

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram Express RCSB
Trim Level: RCSB - Express 25C
Color: Diamond Black
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:83
EXPRESS25C will become famous soon enough

My light came on ... was loose gas cap.
Old 10-16-2012, 04:49 AM

Vehicle: 2007 RAM
Engine: 2007-2011 409ci (6.7L) Cummins Turbo Diesel 350hp 650lb/ft
Rep:64
NWRQC will become famous soon enough

Whats the current code for? You should be able to check by cycling the key 3 times.
I would also go back to the OEM filter. I'll see if I can find the filtration chart, but the OE filter ranked among the best and K&N was at the bottom, plus you don't want to run an oiled filter with a turbo.
Old 10-16-2012, 12:36 PM

Vehicle: 2012 Ram 2500 & 2011 Wrangler
Trim Level: ST
Color: white
Rep:35
Wandell is on a distinguished road

Over oiling of K&N filters has been known to cause issues. Mainly issues with MAF sensors on gasoline engines. With a diesel, who knows?
Old 10-16-2012, 08:43 PM

Vehicle: 2012 RAM Sport CC 4x4
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Black
Rep:623
bighemi04 is a name known to allbighemi04 is a name known to allbighemi04 is a name known to allbighemi04 is a name known to allbighemi04 is a name known to allbighemi04 is a name known to all

I always get my codes ran myself at autozone first, that way I know where to look first. It also prevents you from getting screwed on non warraty repairs
Old 10-16-2012, 08:58 PM
Addicted to the Z

Vehicle: 2014 RAM 1500 Limited
Trim Level: Crew Cab 4X4 Limited
Color: PX8 Black
Engine: 2014-20?? 182.3ci (3.0L) L630DOHC V6 240hp 420lb/ft Eco-Diesel
Rep:2463
RansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond repute
Talking

I scan my own codes with this. Got an IPad for my BDay and the first app I bought was BlueDriver. It scans the OBDII bus and transmits the data to the IPad in realtime. It will read any active or passive codes and recommend repair procedures. You do need to purchase the OBDII dongle for $100.00 to get to the data.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BlueDriver.JPG (12.2 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg BlueDriver1.JPG (23.2 KB, 7 views)
Old 10-17-2012, 02:06 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWRQC View Post
Whats the current code for? You should be able to check by cycling the key 3 times.
I would also go back to the OEM filter. I'll see if I can find the filtration chart, but the OE filter ranked among the best and K&N was at the bottom, plus you don't want to run an oiled filter with a turbo.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wandell View Post
Over oiling of K&N filters has been known to cause issues. Mainly issues with MAF sensors on gasoline engines. With a diesel, who knows?
Quote:
Originally Posted by RansRAM View Post
I scan my own codes with this. Got an IPad for my BDay and the first app I bought was BlueDriver. It scans the OBDII bus and transmits the data to the IPad in realtime. It will read any active or passive codes and recommend repair procedures. You do need to purchase the OBDII dongle for $100.00 to get to the data.

Everyone....thank you very much for the replies! It never even occurred to me that the K&N filter might be the problem. I am switching back to the OEM filter today. Let you all know what the outcome is.

Again....thanks!

Tim
Old 10-22-2012, 12:44 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Well....it's a bust. The dealership informed me that they now think the problem lies with a module upstream of the O2 sensors. Sounds like their version of troubleshooting is "easter-egging" to me. This is getting frustrating....

I changed back to the OEM air filter by the way. Light came on again on Sunday.

Jeez...
Old 10-24-2012, 12:20 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Okay...Got the truck fixed and it is running smoothly. The dealership replaced the O2 sensors and control module.

One thing they did notice though....according to the service tech....my engine was over-filled with oil. To the tune of 3 quarts too much. I asked how he knew this and he showed me via the dipstick and the crank case filter. Went ahead and had a new oil change, and sure enough, 3 quarts too many in the oil catch pan. He also showed me the "new" O2 sensors he pulled and replaced with new ones....they were black with soot/oil.

I had my oil changed where I get my tires worked on, so I went back to them and cautioned them to ensure that the service techs were paying attention to detail when changing oil and such. I don't think they want to be liable for a turbo or engine replacement.

I guess the lesson learned here for all of us is to make sure they tech doing work on the CDT is knowledgeable before they even turn a wrench.

Cheers!

Tim