DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Drag Racing Discussion

Notices

Drag Racing Discussion Post your questions and info about how to best get these beasts down the 1320!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 08-06-2012, 11:01 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2010 RCLB SLT 1500 Ram
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Mineral Gray
Rep:72
catsltd will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jchaney579 View Post
If you are serious about drag racing the 20's aren't "killing you"... I have DRs I mounted on older style 17s. Ran about .2 faster time. Yes a bit of a drop but that isn't "Killing your time". What I will add is you seem to not be launching your truck correctly. Or even doing it at all. Might just be because I am used to my loud exhaust you can hear me launching, but it really seems like you aren't doing anything but letting it idle then punching it to the floor when it hits green. That is KILLING your QM time for sure. Your truck doesn't produce HP until it reaches 3k+

Remove the spare, and remove the tailgate. Rear seat and interior peaces are a bit over kill unless you are being VERY serious about a good time. If this is just a hobby don't bother.

My best advice is to lower the PSI in the rear tires, and inflate the front to say 45. When launching turn TC off on the dash, and when staging (before the tree is getting ready to drop to green) press your foot on the break and hold the gas around 2k RPM. When you see green let off the break and step on the go petal. This is a controlled launch. Gets your engine in the higher RPMS where the power is made a lot faster. Your truck should be running quite a bit lower 1/8th mile. I think launching correctly will get you there. You will hear a tad bit of wheel spin (They will chirp) right when you let off the break and stamp on the gas but that is a good thing.

IMO that is exactly what is killing your time. My truck from a dead dog start (what you're doing here) Runs almost an 8 second 0-60 time. When I do a controlled launch on a good day I am mid to high 6 seconds or even lower. That to me is EXACTLY what is killing your time.

Also I don't know if you are manually shifting but you will net a lot faster time if you are. Remember the truck will shift from 1st to 2nd for you so don't worry about that first one. :P

Here is a video, it is NOT the best. But is our truck with the correct method of 2k RPM launch. What it should look, and sound like for you.

Whats your truck running in the 1/4 mile.????.

The advice i gave him was so he could reduce his time by about 1/2 a second.
Stalling it up will lead to more wheel spin and accomplish nothing.

My 60 foot is 1.8 to his 2.3,thats a big difference.
Fast Freddie the guy who posted below my last post,is probably the fastest NA hemi truck anywhere,and he really knows how to launch a hemi correctly.
My 4g truck is 1 of the fastest 4g trucks in the 1/4 mile,so again if you switch to stock 17inch aluminum wheel and run a 28inch drag radial you will drop your time by about a 1/2 second,Not 2 tenths.
Just trying to help.
3:92 gears.
Sponsored links
Old 08-06-2012, 11:49 AM

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 6.6L Hemi!
Trim Level: Crew Cab Sport 4x4
Color: Stone White
Rep:366
RamTex is just really niceRamTex is just really niceRamTex is just really niceRamTex is just really nice

Doing the above will also pull timming and thus decrease power... And will also make you spin like a bat out of hell unless you launch in 4x4...

"New Project" 1969 Road Runner
BV Heads,K1 Crank and Rods,Corrillo Pistons,ARP Head, Main, Side Studs and Rod Bolts,Spartan Eagle Cam,6.1 Manifold,Fastman 85mm,LMI Hammer, ARH's,3000TC,Hemifever Tuning
Old 08-06-2012, 02:07 PM
Banned

Vehicle: 2012 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Lone Star
Color: Black
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:34
Jchaney579 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by catsltd View Post
Whats your truck running in the 1/4 mile.????.

The advice i gave him was so he could reduce his time by about 1/2 a second.
Stalling it up will lead to more wheel spin and accomplish nothing.

My 60 foot is 1.8 to his 2.3,thats a big difference.
Fast Freddie the guy who posted below my last post,is probably the fastest NA hemi truck anywhere,and he really knows how to launch a hemi correctly.
My 4g truck is 1 of the fastest 4g trucks in the 1/4 mile,so again if you switch to stock 17inch aluminum wheel and run a 28inch drag radial you will drop your time by about a 1/2 second,Not 2 tenths.
Just trying to help.
I run a 14.2 on a good day in Texas heat. You have to remember that with 17 inch tires in a qm you run into things like speed limiters in untunable 2012s. Of course that time was the ONLY time I have been to the track and I ran two times in the morning with my stock setup. 30psi in the rear, and 45psi in the front. 2wd with 3.55 gears. LAUNCHING at 2k rpm. With a mostly stock truck that is setting you RIGHT in the RPM range. I mean I didn't feed you a line of BS to purposely make my truck seem like crap when describing my 8+ second 0-60mph time when dogging it out of the whole.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamTex View Post
Doing the above will also pull timming and thus decrease power... And will also make you spin like a bat out of hell unless you launch in 4x4...
Woa woa woa... Maybe in your truck. But in our stock trucks you will get a "chirp" as I described. My truck can not and will not burn the tires in ANY manner with 3.55 gears on a mostly stock platform. Revving to 2k and then standing on it from there has at most made a single chirping noise. Never has it EVER left a black mark anywhere.
Old 08-06-2012, 07:37 PM

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Ram Sport
Trim Level: Sport
Engine: 2009-???? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:111
TheBlackHemi will become famous soon enoughTheBlackHemi will become famous soon enough

There's no doubt you would hit the speed limiter dropping 4-5" from a stock 33" height tire without re-calibrating the speedometer but it's an easy fix for us guys that don't have any tuning options, hypertech has a calibrator compatible for 2011s and up. I would have to agree with Catsltd and Ramtex stalling up like that doesn't do any good for our 4gen Hemi's. It does pull timing and decrease power just compare my launch with yours and you'll see. I basically hook and go where you have trouble and comparing 0-60 times with my Crewcab and your's I'm at least 1 sec and a half quicker.

I have a Circle D TC in this video but I also have 14lb heavier 22" KMC Slides per corner(good rid of them and headers weren't installed yet either)

Last edited by TheBlackHemi; 08-06-2012 at 07:44 PM.
Old 08-06-2012, 07:46 PM
Banned

Vehicle: 2012 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Lone Star
Rep:34
Jchaney579 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBlackHemi View Post
There's no doubt you would hit the speed limiter dropping 4-5" from a stock 33" height tire without re-calibrating the speedometer but it's an easy fix for us guys that don't have any tuning options, hypertech a makes calibrator one compatible for 2011s and up. I would have to agree with Catsltd and Ramtex stalling up like that doesn't do any good for our 4gen Hemi's. It does pull timing and decrease power just compare my launch with yours and you'll see. I basically hook and go where you have trouble and comparing 0-60 times with my Crewcab and your's I'm at least 1 sec and a half quicker.

I have a Circle D TC in this video but I also have 14lb heavier 22" KMC Slides per corner (headers weren't installed yet either)

I always seem to have quite a bit faster launch times in 0-60 when launching at 2k rpm. Is it falling on its face after that and I'm just not knowing it?

Yea I need to get a hold of the re calibrator I seen somebody do a write up a week or so ago on it. Just waiting till I get my entire tire/rim situation sorted out before I order one. They are a bit pricy esp for somebody like me who goes to the track once in a blue moon. Baytown isn't far, but on a Friday night it can be a pain for sure.

Also that isn't my video :P I just pulled it off of youtube. My truck pulls a quicker 0/60 than him.

Can you elaborate on the whole pull timing thing? I seriously feel a lot harder punch when launching at 2k. Could just be completely inexperienced sadly, and hating admitting ...
Old 08-06-2012, 08:28 PM

Vehicle: 2005 Dodge Ram
Color: white
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:650
chefred112 is a splendid one to beholdchefred112 is a splendid one to beholdchefred112 is a splendid one to beholdchefred112 is a splendid one to beholdchefred112 is a splendid one to beholdchefred112 is a splendid one to behold

we can't stall up like typical cars because of tq management..if we do, we have to do it quick and not sit there and hold it. throughout the years I've been racing my truck i found that leaving from the gitgo and not stalling up netted me my quickest and fastest times.. you may not know it unless you have a datlogger but stalling up does pull some timing... the only way to tell an/or test it is taking it to the track and really watch your 60 ft times....
2005 Dodge Ram 1500 QC SLT: 12.107 @ 113.960 MPH
Old 08-06-2012, 08:33 PM

Vehicle: 2005 Dodge Ram
Color: white
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:650
chefred112 is a splendid one to beholdchefred112 is a splendid one to beholdchefred112 is a splendid one to beholdchefred112 is a splendid one to beholdchefred112 is a splendid one to beholdchefred112 is a splendid one to behold

the more you go to the track the more you realize that the end number, altho important is not as important as the 60 ft times.. the goal it to get that 60 ft under 2.0 and the fast times will be the result...so you try to do as much stuff to get that sub 2. Weight is key, gearing is too, stall tq verter is a big plus...
2005 Dodge Ram 1500 QC SLT: 12.107 @ 113.960 MPH
Old 08-07-2012, 12:17 AM

Vehicle: 2011
Trim Level: Badass
Color: Silver
Rep:19
03lowram is on a distinguished road

I dont stall my truck up at all. I just leave from idle. It works best for me.
Old 08-07-2012, 09:25 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2014 5.7 Ram 1500 RCSB/2WD
Trim Level: ST
Color: White
Engine: 2013-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 395hp 410lb/ft
Rep:43
WarBaby is on a distinguished road
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jchaney579 View Post
Yea I need to get a hold of the re calibrator I seen somebody do a write up a week or so ago on it. Just waiting till I get my entire tire/rim situation sorted out before I order one. They are a bit pricy esp for somebody like me who goes to the track once in a blue moon. Baytown isn't far, but on a Friday night it can be a pain for sure.
The Hypertech review is here.
Old 08-08-2012, 04:48 PM

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 6.6L Hemi!
Trim Level: Crew Cab Sport 4x4
Color: Stone White
Rep:366
RamTex is just really niceRamTex is just really niceRamTex is just really niceRamTex is just really nice

The only stalling that is do is to take all the slack out of the drive line by braking then gently push the throttle and gently let of brake and then brake again to lock everything up and your good to go. Its easy to do when staging once you trip the first light...

"New Project" 1969 Road Runner
BV Heads,K1 Crank and Rods,Corrillo Pistons,ARP Head, Main, Side Studs and Rod Bolts,Spartan Eagle Cam,6.1 Manifold,Fastman 85mm,LMI Hammer, ARH's,3000TC,Hemifever Tuning