DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Exterior Modifications - Body Mods - Body Kits

Notices

Custom Dodge Ram Exterior Modifications - Body Mods - Body Kits All custom mods on the outside of your Dodge Ram. Custom Dodge Ram Body Kits, Custom Paint, Grilles, Camper Tops, Bed Liners, etc.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

View Poll Results: What color should ArmyofOne paint his calipers?
DWBP 12 31.58%
Flame Red 16 42.11%
High-Gloss Black 5 13.16%
Leave it stock (silver) 5 13.16%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-06-2012, 05:37 AM
US Army Retired

Vehicle: '11 Ram 1500 Big Horn Crew 4x4
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Brilliant Black
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:1189
ArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud of
Default Caliper Paint...Help me choose a color!

Ok Z members. I need your help. Here is my truck:

I want to paint my calipers. Whatever color we choose, I have the following criteria I have to meet.

1. MUST be pleasing to the eye. No Yellow or hot pink
2. has to flow well with the rest of the truck, Whatever color we choose, my engine bay pieces will be done in the same color, and would also like to eventually follow the theme into the interior.
3. Must go well with blue, the black fender flares that I am getting in the near future, and Chrome, as these 3 accents are not changing.

For my options I was thinking:

-Blue (color matched). I can get the blue in a high-temp application easliy enough, at autozone or online. Duplicolor makes a Metallic blue paint that when used in conjunction with a high-heat primer, will take temps up to 800 degrees. If my brakes are getting that hot, it might be time to stop and let 'em cool. It flows well with the rest of the truck, and will bring attention to the Slotted/Drilled rotors. In addition to that it meets all of my above criteria.

-Red...not to sure on this one. It could be a disaster, or it might look really good. Basically, I have nothing else red on the truck except the taillights (which will be tinted eventually), and the embroidered logo on the seat covers. Will it flow well? I dont know. I could continue it into the engine bay, but I don't know about the interior.

-Black. Easy, will flow well with the trim, but in all honestly, it wont draw the attention to the brakes and it wont "complete" the look. If I was going to go Black, I might as well stay stock. I am not sure. It will for sure match the fender flares though.

My biggest concern with the DWBP is that there may already be too much blue on the truck. But I have enough chrome and black that it balances out well, so IDK. I am torn and this is why I want some opinions. Hell, maybe someone could even throw up a photoshop or 3.

Thanks for the help folks!

2014 Mazda CX-5 Touring w/Tech Pack-6000K HID's, 20% tint, 35mpg, so I will leave it alone.
2002 Ford Focus ZTW Wagon-loaded, tinted, tunes and commuting. 163k miles and counting...

Last edited by ArmyofOne; 07-06-2012 at 05:51 AM.
Sponsored links
Old 07-06-2012, 09:37 AM
US Army Retired

ArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud of

A couple of friends of mine suggested gold...idk man, thats a little far out there LOL.

2014 Mazda CX-5 Touring w/Tech Pack-6000K HID's, 20% tint, 35mpg, so I will leave it alone.
2002 Ford Focus ZTW Wagon-loaded, tinted, tunes and commuting. 163k miles and counting...

Old 07-06-2012, 09:38 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT
Color: White
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:1385
snrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud of

I picked stock because I was thinking you should paint them silver...then realized it's already silver lol. I think blue would look good but I wouldn't do it personally as I think it'd look sort of "flashy". I think red would look out of place. Black would be good but not too flashy.

Breathing in and out is good enough for me.
Old 07-06-2012, 10:14 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2012 1500 Crew 4x4
Trim Level: Laramie Longhorn
Color: Black
Rep:10
evanyj350 is on a distinguished road

I vote red. Patriotic, classic, will definitely pop. Race cars always have red calipers....... Will carry well into engine bay as well.
Old 07-06-2012, 10:30 AM
US Army Retired

I also received the suggestion of Mango-Tango Orange which I am seriously entertaining...

Old 07-06-2012, 10:46 AM
Just some guy in Canada

Vehicle: 2010 Ram 1500 QC
Trim Level: Sport
Rep:2581
brad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond repute

I vote for black as the calipers are hard to keep clean and if you paint them a showy color, then they become part of the detailing process.

Interested in one of my mods?
If it's underlined, it's a link to that mods thread.

2010 Ram 1500 Hemi Sport, 3.92, Leather, NAV, Alpine, Sunroof, Trailer tow, Brake Contoller, Rear Cam
Mods - 3M clear protect, Decals removed, Electric Tailgate Lock, Tow Hooks, Skid Plates, Bed Rug, Pace Edwards Bedlocker Electric Tonneau, Timbren Rear SES, Tinted Tail Lights, Debadged, Grill Blacked Out, Shorty Antenna, Black Chromed Emblems, Lightly tinted front windows, DS Predator, Cabin Air Filter, K&N Drop In, Mufflex (Magnaflo) DOD24M, Sonnax line pressure booster, Volant CAI
Old 07-06-2012, 11:04 AM
US Army Retired

LOL, They are already Brad. Thats how I have 65k on my Ram and they still look factory. I should have clear-coated them when I bought them.

Is there even a need for High-Temp paint? I mean, I painted my calipers on other cars and never bothered with it. Never had an issue. Reason I am asking is VHT is only available in certain colors, and its making me mad. I cant seem to get metallic in VHT. The one I thought I could get from Duplicolor, they apparently don't make anymore.

Old 07-06-2012, 01:58 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Ram Big Horn
Color: Deep Water Blue
Rep:611
InDeepWaterBlue is a name known to allInDeepWaterBlue is a name known to allInDeepWaterBlue is a name known to allInDeepWaterBlue is a name known to allInDeepWaterBlue is a name known to allInDeepWaterBlue is a name known to all

I say high gloss black just to contrast the wheels, but paint (or decal) a logo on there like Mopar, Ram or something. Or lie and put a Brembo sticker on it lol I haven't had any issues with painting Calipers before, they don't get super hot like a Rotor does unless you're into auto cross or something.
Old 07-06-2012, 04:18 PM
US Army Retired

Does anyone know where I can get 4 Mopar Logos that are Curved? Hell, maybe I can call powerstop and see if they have decals.

OH...

I can have them made at Sunray! POWERSTOP in white, curved with the caliper.

hmm. Now I REALLY wish I had a set or RT or SRT wheels to make 'em visible.

Old 07-06-2012, 04:28 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: '12 RAM 1500
Rep:420
gotbrains230 is just really nicegotbrains230 is just really nicegotbrains230 is just really nicegotbrains230 is just really nicegotbrains230 is just really nice

I voted blue but like the high gloss black ideal too
I'm not too sure red would good due to all the other colors
BUT I've never seen a vehicle with red calipers that it didn't look good on
Food for thought bud