DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.7 HEMI V8

Notices

Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.7 HEMI V8 Discuss modifying your Dodge Ram with Performance Parts and Accessories!
Factory Spec: 5.7-liter HEMI® V8 engine - 390 horsepower, 407 lb-ft of torque.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 12-08-2014, 01:08 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram Express 4x4
Trim Level: Express 4x4
Color: Black
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:39
goodcracker is on a distinguished road
Default Headers worth it or not ??

I found JBA long tube headers on AutoAnything for $610. Does anyone have these or any similar headers? Do they add decent power? I read where Shorty headers aren't really worth putting on but long tubes do pretty well. Thanks guys!
Sponsored links
Old 12-08-2014, 02:10 PM

Vehicle: 2012 RAM
Trim Level: Tradesman
Color: Mineral greay
Engine: 2009-2012 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:81
Sixfive will become famous soon enough

Long tube headers do make a difference with a tuner just not on a stock tune
Old 12-08-2014, 07:03 PM

Vehicle: 2013 ram 1500 laramie
Trim Level: Leather
Color: black
Engine: 2013-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 395hp 410lb/ft
Rep:7
gixxer160 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi. I just had a set of JBA Long tube headers without cats put on, plus I am using a Diablo T1000 tuner with jmgak47 tune. I have to say that the headers work great. An absolute must to get best performance. JBA are good quality, just check that they fit. Call Dustin Williams at JBA to get correct install instructions. Make sure you center the engine between frame rails. Otherwise you'll end up with the steering knuckle hitting the headers.
Old 12-09-2014, 01:40 PM

Vehicle: 2005 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Silver
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:1045
Kamanhart has much to be proud ofKamanhart has much to be proud ofKamanhart has much to be proud ofKamanhart has much to be proud ofKamanhart has much to be proud ofKamanhart has much to be proud ofKamanhart has much to be proud ofKamanhart has much to be proud of

Agree with both of what these guys have said. I would get on the horn with either Jay(jmgak47) or Dave (white lighting) and see about a custom tune to go with it. That will really pull out all the ponies you just added in.

Idk how set you are on JBAs and what your potential budget is but i would look here as well before you pull the trigger as it sounds the JBAs can give you some hassle.
Old 12-09-2014, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gixxer160 View Post
Hi. I just had a set of JBA Long tube headers without cats put on, plus I am using a Diablo T1000 tuner with jmgak47 tune. I have to say that the headers work great. An absolute must to get best performance. JBA are good quality, just check that they fit. Call Dustin Williams at JBA to get correct install instructions. Make sure you center the engine between frame rails. Otherwise you'll end up with the steering knuckle hitting the headers.
I have the Diablo T1000 also but not custom tuned. How hard was the install and how long did it take?
Old 12-09-2014, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamanhart View Post
Agree with both of what these guys have said. I would get on the horn with either Jay(jmgak47) or Dave (white lighting) and see about a custom tune to go with it. That will really pull out all the ponies you just added in.

Idk how set you are on JBAs and what your potential budget is but i would look here as well before you pull the trigger as it sounds the JBAs can give you some hassle.
Im not dead set on JBA really, any header would work long as they're not real expensive. I'll definitely read through this. Thanks!
Old 12-09-2014, 09:24 PM

Vehicle: 2014 Dodge Ram Crew Cab 4x4
Trim Level: Sport
Color: White
Rep:76
doz will become famous soon enough

Install is pretty straight forward and easy. The hardest part is tightening the bolts 1/4 turn or less on a few of them each time. Having swivel head, ratcheting box wrench will both help. Just takes some time. Very easy to do though.
DS Trinity w/ custom tune, S&B Intake, ARH LT Headers, Magnaflow Cat-back, 87mm PTB, BT Catch Can, 180* T-Stat, v6 E-Fan, 5000k RS HID, XD Misfits w/ 35"x12.5"x18", Rancho QL level, 5% tint w/ 35% full windshield, Hifonics Brutus 1100.1 w/ Sundown SA12 in ported FoxBox
Old 12-10-2014, 08:07 AM

Vehicle: 2012 Ram 1500 - QCSB
Trim Level: Sport
Engine: 2009-2012 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:21
Vinnie the Wrench is on a distinguished road

headers give you gains regardless if they are shorties or longtubes.. both help ease the exhaust flow out of the engine. shorties wont give you as much of an increase as longtubes, but you have to decide what your ultimate goals for the truck will be. like if you put headers on, but still have the factory restrictive cats and/or muffler then you definitely wont notice much. its called the exhaust "system" for a reason because it takes changing more than one component to make a big difference.

i have shorties on my truck because i wanted to be able to do a quick swap back to stock if necessary which is a plus to me. I wish is hindsight i had gotten longtubes with my current direction for my trucks future, but i am in no way upset with my gains from a full exhaust(headers, high flow cats, high cfm muffler, and deleted the resonators)and a tune.

so to answer the question yes headers make a difference, especially combined with a system designed to help that hemi breathe easier all the way around.

"....I will never leave a fallen comrade. I will never surrender though I am the last. If I am taken, I pray for the strength to defy my enemy...." -De Opresso Liber
Old 12-10-2014, 12:42 PM

Vehicle: 2013 ram 1500 laramie
Trim Level: Leather
Color: black
Engine: 2013-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 395hp 410lb/ft
Rep:7
gixxer160 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by doz View Post
Install is pretty straight forward and easy. The hardest part is tightening the bolts 1/4 turn or less on a few of them each time. Having swivel head, ratcheting box wrench will both help. Just takes some time. Very easy to do though.
I'm thinking now that I should have paid the extra and gone with ARH long tubes instead of JBA. The fitment with the JBA was a challenge. Not 100% pleased. But the performance is there, and the sound is earth shattering. Lol.
Old 12-10-2014, 12:47 PM

Vehicle: 2005 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Silver
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:1045
Kamanhart has much to be proud ofKamanhart has much to be proud ofKamanhart has much to be proud ofKamanhart has much to be proud ofKamanhart has much to be proud ofKamanhart has much to be proud ofKamanhart has much to be proud ofKamanhart has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodcracker View Post
Im not dead set on JBA really, any header would work long as they're not real expensive. I'll definitely read through this. Thanks!
Quote:
Originally Posted by gixxer160 View Post
I'm thinking now that I should have paid the extra and gone with ARH long tubes instead of JBA. The fitment with the JBA was a challenge. Not 100% pleased. But the performance is there, and the sound is earth shattering. Lol.
That is exactly why I mentioned if he was stuck on JBA, I had heard rumors that there might be more hassle to go along with the cheaper price.

I had heard nothing bad out of the ARH