DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.7 HEMI V8

Notices

Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.7 HEMI V8 Discuss modifying your Dodge Ram with Performance Parts and Accessories!
Factory Spec: 5.7-liter HEMI® V8 engine - 390 horsepower, 407 lb-ft of torque.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 12-06-2013, 06:21 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8
Rep:3883
Grubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to the boards.

Correct, I never plugged it up until I installed The Scoop.

The more opportunity for air to get in, the better.

I don't understand your comment: "IT's getting cool here in California this time a year so maybe put it on during summer months and remove it when it gets cool?"

Why that route?

Why not, at the very least, the other way around?

As I said in my opening posts --

Quote:
One last thing if you’re still awake: The intake comes with an air inlet drop tube [almost a scoop type but not quite] that hangs down well past the intake housing and is attached [you can see it it the pics]. S&B Filters provides a plug for this tube for those who may be concerned that [unwanted/unwelcomed] warm/hot air may be sucked into the throttle body. I did NOT install this plug as I see four credible reasons not to IMHO. One: as we all know, hot air will rise so it’s highly unlikely any standing hot engine compartment air in that region will hover around long enough to be sucked thru. Two: if for some reason that particular region does have standing hot air, the several crevices directly in front of this region [the grille/bumper/skirt/under-body area] will assure that it escapes quickly. Three: the more air you can get into and thru your intake, the merrier. Not plugging this inlet drop tube will guarantee that additional air – albeit minimal – will assist the main fender wall opening. But give the crew at S&B Filters credit where it’s due; at least they’re trying to cater for everyone and those people’s concerns by providing the plug. Kudos guys! The final reason for NOT installing the supplied plug is that horrible fender-wall opening Ram have used as the primary outside air supply for the intake. Have you seen it? If you don’t know what I’m speaking of, HERE BlackRamHemi speaks about it briefly and snaps a bunch of really good picture of it. Can you say “restrictive?” Another brain-fart on Ram’s behalf; pfftt… For that reason alone, leaving the plug off of the S&B CAI will assist in drawing much needed additional outside air, IMO.

Grub out!
Sponsored links
Old 12-07-2013, 05:05 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram Crew Laramie
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Blue
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
Barrios is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grubrunner View Post
Welcome to the boards.

Correct, I never plugged it up until I installed The Scoop.

The more opportunity for air to get in, the better.

I don't understand your comment: "IT's getting cool here in California this time a year so maybe put it on during summer months and remove it when it gets cool?"

Why that route?

Why not, at the very least, the other way around?

As I said in my opening posts --
What I meant was, keep the plug in during summer months and remove it when it's cooler.
Old 12-07-2013, 07:04 PM

Grubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrios View Post
What I meant was, keep the plug in during summer months and remove it when it's cooler.
Yes, that's a better route.

Grub out!
Old 12-08-2013, 01:32 AM

Vehicle: 1999 Dodge Ram 1500
Color: Red
Engine: 1998-2001 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 245hp(standard), 250hp(Sport package)
Rep:254
Bigred74 is a jewel in the roughBigred74 is a jewel in the roughBigred74 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigred74 View Post
well my s&b came in the other week! its still not mounted yet but last week i worked on heating the tube and bending it back to account for my body lift so maybe this weekend i can get around to installing it!
ugh ive been so busy it still isn't on but had a question for ya grub... on the 2nd gen S&B doesn't offer a scoop so would it be wise to cut a three inch hole in front of intake and run a three inch pipe to the front of my grill? i have plenty of room to the left of my radiator to fit in a scoop that would actually then be working as a ram air scoop. what you think? cause i know that fender well is restrictive like you said. i can take pics of my engine compartment if need be but i bet u know what im talkin about haha any other ideas fellas??

*Bedliner paint job, leveling kit, 3'' body lift, 17'' eagle alloy rims series 197, 315/70/17 Nitto Trail Grappler M/T tires, S&B cold air intake, 52mm ported and bored throttle body, Superchips 3865 programmer
Old 12-08-2013, 12:07 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: 1500 Express CC 4x4
Color: True Blue Pearl
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:122
Joekrooz will become famous soon enoughJoekrooz will become famous soon enough

Nice write up Grub. I found this thred while researching the S&B online looking to replace my air grabber ( should of looked here first, duh). Didn't like all the dirt getting around the vararam base of filter and it not making a good seal on hood. I really wish I would have seen this first before I spent $350 on vararam. Live and learn right. By the way I'm getting the s&b this week.
Old 12-08-2013, 12:14 PM

Quote:
ugh ive been so busy it still isn't on but had a question for ya grub... on the 2nd gen S&B doesn't offer a scoop so would it be wise to cut a three inch hole in front of intake and run a three inch pipe to the front of my grill? i have plenty of room to the left of my radiator to fit in a scoop that would actually then be working as a ram air scoop. what you think? cause i know that fender well is restrictive like you said. i can take pics of my engine compartment if need be but i bet u know what im talkin about haha any other ideas fellas??
Yes, absolutely run a tube down to the grill to suck in outside air.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joekrooz View Post
Nice write up Grub. I found this thred while researching the S&B online looking to replace my air grabber ( should of looked here first, duh). Didn't like all the dirt getting around the vararam base of filter and it not making a good seal on hood. I really wish I would have seen this first before I spent $350 on vararam. Live and learn right. By the way I'm getting the s&b this week.
Awesome.

Welcome to the club.

Glad I could be of assistance.

Let us know how you like it after installing and running it for a few.

Grub out!
Old 12-08-2013, 12:33 PM
Stickers add Horsepower

Vehicle: 2008 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SXT 4x4
Color: Silver/ Black
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:2778
Canadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrios View Post
The only time I put my plug in is when I am going offroading or mudding. The distance the tube is down, I doubt it will suck in much hot air. My truck shows that it is runner cooler with the plug out over the stock intake, so sorta figures that it helps.
Tow mirrors up for all the haters
Old 12-09-2013, 01:21 AM

Vehicle: 1999 Dodge Ram 1500
Color: Red
Engine: 1998-2001 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 245hp(standard), 250hp(Sport package)
Rep:254
Bigred74 is a jewel in the roughBigred74 is a jewel in the roughBigred74 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grubrunner View Post
Yes, absolutely run a tube down to the grill to suck in outside air.

hmm guess il have to come up with something then! any ideas why S&B wouldnt have designed a scoop for it? and do i need to try and do it with a smooth pipe instead of the flexible tubing stuff ive seen others use? would i also need to make a way to close it for off road use?

*Bedliner paint job, leveling kit, 3'' body lift, 17'' eagle alloy rims series 197, 315/70/17 Nitto Trail Grappler M/T tires, S&B cold air intake, 52mm ported and bored throttle body, Superchips 3865 programmer
Old 12-09-2013, 01:56 AM
Stickers add Horsepower

Vehicle: 2008 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SXT 4x4
Color: Silver/ Black
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:2778
Canadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
hmm guess il have to come up with something then! any ideas why S&B wouldnt have designed a scoop for it? and do i need to try and do it with a smooth pipe instead of the flexible tubing stuff ive seen others use? would i also need to make a way to close it for off road use?
I don't know about flex or smooth piping, but for sure a cap for odd road. Never wanna be sucking up water, mud and crap into the intake and ruining the filter.
Tow mirrors up for all the haters
Old 12-09-2013, 11:03 AM

Quote:
A smoothed pipe would be better for flow, but it'll be hard if you don't have the expertise and/or equipment.

A ridged, dry vent type of piing would be better than nothing at all.

If you're off-roading [creeks, rivers and the like] then yes, definitely remove or block it prior to venturing out. Like CHP commented above, it's not a good idea sucking in anything but air.

Keep us posted.

Grub out!