DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > Dodge Ram 4x4 - Offroad Discussion

Notices

Dodge Ram 4x4 - Offroad Discussion All about Off-Road in here! From prep to execution! Let us know how you roll Off Road in your Dodge Ram Truck!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 07-06-2012, 11:26 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 1996 ram 2500 4X4
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Blue
Engine: 1994-1997 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 230hp
Rep:10
DodgeGuy85 is on a distinguished road
Default Death wobble.

Hey fellas, just have a quick question.I was driving home from work on Thursday and I hit a man hole cover that was sunk down in the road with my truck on the passenger side front wheel. Truck is a 96' 2500 4x4 5.9 magnum slt. As soon as I hit the man hole my truck immediately went into a violent death wobble.I hit the brakes and it went away and was able to pull off the road. I first thought I either blew the tire or lost a balljoint. I looked underneath the front end and noticed the balljoint end of the track bar was coming apart and it had a bunch of play in it across both end of the bar.I was only about 5 miles from home so just limped it with the 4 ways on. I went out today and picked up a brand new track bar. Question is are they hard too change out? I've never done one so don't have a clue gonna have a buddy give me a hand.Any tips or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.Hopefully it's not too hard of a job. I may also have to change out hubs being that my rotors on both sides are loose.Everything is tight but definately they do have play.I also noticed that when you spin the tire the rotor on the drivers side does'nt move as soon as the wheel moves.So I'll be checking that out as well.Does this sound like worn out hubs? Thanks for any and all help ~Ronnie~
Sponsored links
Old 07-07-2012, 02:21 AM
"Just living the dream"

Vehicle: 2013 Dodge Ram Longhorn
Trim Level: Longhorn Rambox
Color: Prairie Pearl / White Gold Trim
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:1634
Chunkem has a brilliant futureChunkem has a brilliant futureChunkem has a brilliant futureChunkem has a brilliant futureChunkem has a brilliant futureChunkem has a brilliant futureChunkem has a brilliant futureChunkem has a brilliant futureChunkem has a brilliant futureChunkem has a brilliant futureChunkem has a brilliant future

Let us know how you make out and please keep us updated......

Enjoy RamForumZ? Support your forum and become a SITE SUPPORTER today!

Please be sure you understand the Ram ForumZ RULES

"MOST OF ALL HAVE FUN AND ENJOY THE SITE"
Old 07-07-2012, 01:23 PM

Vehicle: 2012 R/T, 2000 Ram Off Road
Trim Level: R/T / Larmie
Color: Black
Rep:73
frickenbored will become famous soon enough

Their not too hard to change out, just have a long bar and a second person because when you take out the old track bar the axle will shift to one side and sometimes it can be a PITA to get it to shift back to get the track bar bolt holes to line up.

I haven't seen hub and bearings cause death wobble but chopped up tires can. Also check you steering dampner, those cause death wobble on wranglers all the time. bad ball joints and tie rods can also cause it.

Old 07-07-2012, 01:57 PM

Thanks for the replies guys. A buddy of mine is on his way over so we can start on it. I'll jump back on later tonight with my findings.
Old 07-07-2012, 02:07 PM
Now 2012

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Deep Red Pearl
Rep:146
Ram11 will become famous soon enoughRam11 will become famous soon enough

I have a 2500, I had to replace the track bar, and ball joints to stop my wobble
Factory Fender Flare's... Smoked Rain Guard's... 8,000 Hid'... Zeta Body Side Molding... Painted Pinstripe... Dodge S/S Door Sills... S10 Bed Slide... Ghost Flames... Mopar Tonneau Cover... Mopar High Performance Exhaust... K and N Cold Air Intake...Bilstein 4600 Front Shocks.....Thunder Form enclosure Loaded with 2 10 Kenwood Subs,,
Old 07-07-2012, 02:32 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 2X4
Trim Level: quad cab SLT
Color: sunburst orange pearl
Rep:2615
GTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond repute

if you have a pickle fork, it may make the job much easier
this is a cheapy pickle fork, but it gives you an image to view
http://www.harborfreight.com/catalog...?q=pickle+fork
Ram 1500 SLT Quad cab, 5.7 HEMI(R) MDS VCT, 5 speed auto 545RFE, 3.55 differential gears, 18" Magnaflow muffler, EGR bug deflector, Bushwacker fender flares, customized Nfab nerf bars, CB radio, Autonet wi-fi router, custom soft tonneau cover, Line_X bedliner, DEBO Step, build date 10/15/08 a Wednesday built vehicle
Old 07-07-2012, 05:32 PM

Thanks for all the replies. My buddy came over earlier and we got it knocked out in about 20mins he's really good with working on cars.He was actually surprised how easy it was too change out he was actually prepared for it too be a nightmare. We tried to checked the hubs but whoever owned the truck before hand put the axle nuts on way too tight. We tried a big breaker bar with the jack handle on it as well for more leverage and it was bending the breaker bar. So I'll have to get a torch and heat it up too see if we can bust it loose.He said as of right now it should be fine until we can get time too mess with it again.I took it for a test drive and what a difference with just replacing the track bar. way less slop in the steering wheel and it no longer wanders while going down the road. Now I'm in total debt to a good buddy for taking time out of his day to give me a hand...
Old 07-08-2012, 12:15 PM

Vehicle: 2012 R/T, 2000 Ram Off Road
Trim Level: R/T / Larmie
Color: Black
Rep:73
frickenbored will become famous soon enough

very nice man, glad you got it fixed.

Word of advice, if the bearings ain't bad just leave them alone, they can be a total nightmare to replace after they seize into knuckle.