DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > 2011 Dodge Ram Forum

Notices

2011 Dodge Ram Forum For specific discussion of the 2011 Dodge Ram!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 07-08-2012, 05:22 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2011 Ram 1500 Sport
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
spsvrman is on a distinguished road
Angry Intermittent Starting Problems

Hello all, Im new to this forum.

Over the past few months I have been having intermittent problems with my 2011 Ram not starting and has been towed to the dealer twice and by the time it gets there it starts for them.

The dealer replaced a relay the first time and told me they found the problem, well that lasted for about a thousand miles and the same thing. The second time it got towed to the dealer and it started, so they told me that the starter and the wiring harness for it was bad so they replaced them. So that lasted for about a week and wouldnt start again, I called the dealership and they asked me to put the truck in neutral to see if it would start, so guess what it started. I drove it there and they had it for two days and decided it was a switch in the valve body and it would have to be replaced. They replaced it and havent had any problems the past few days but I guess time will tell.

HAS ANYONE ELSE HAD ANY OF THESE PROBLEMS ?
Sponsored links
Old 07-09-2012, 12:45 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: ST
Color: Inferno Red
Rep:71
wbowyer will become famous soon enough

Mine won't start period. But that's a different issue unrelated to the starter. It is definitely odd that they requested you try to start it in neutral, because that would mean it is tied in with the transmission.
Old 07-09-2012, 02:12 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2011
Trim Level: unknown
Color: white
Lumpy816 is on a distinguished road

I too have a 2011 Dodge Ram that is back to the dealer for the 4th time that intermitently will not start. They blamed the after market alarm system the 1st 3 times. (The second time we paid to have it bypassed and the 3rd time we paid to have it removed) it has been there now for 2 weeks and they have yet to replace any parts. The dealership stated if they can't duplicate the issue, they don't know what parts to replace. I tried contacting Dodge through thier web site, but they have yet to make any head way that I can speak to. Did you have any further issues after the switch replacement?

Last edited by Lumpy816; 07-09-2012 at 02:13 AM. Reason: typo
Old 07-09-2012, 04:39 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2011 Ram 1500 Sport
spsvrman is on a distinguished road

Forgot to mention a couple of things, the starter would only click one time and not start or even try to turn over, I called Chrylser and informed me that I was very diappointed with their product. Two days later I received a call from the Dodge Resoloution Team and asked me what was going. After I explained everything they informed me that I will be getting a check in the mail for two of my payments. Ive had the truck since Saturday and no problems, but time will tell. It took over a 1000 miles for it to happen the second time.

Call them and tell them you are very dissapointed, it might be worth it. I dont think the service manager is very happy about it but oh well.
Old 07-20-2012, 10:32 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2011 Ram 1500
Color: Black
Riggs is on a distinguished road

I have a 2011 RAM 1500 with 9,150 miles on it. Two days ago my truck started to do the same thing. I can turn the key to the on position and everything turns on in the with full power so I know its not a battery issue. I even tried jumping the truck just to make sure. When I tried to start it I get the same "Click" sound but nothing else. A friend told me to try and put it in neutral and start it, and sure as $#!& it started right up.

So I drove it right to the dealer. Where it stayed for two days, only for them to tell me that they could not recreate the issue and could not find anything wrong, so I could come and pick it up.

I drove the truck from the dealer to a store a few miles away only to come out and be stuck for an hour in the parking lot because the truck won't start at all.

I find it very disappointing to have a new truck that is having an issue like this, and to be turned away from the dealership which I bought it at. The truck is going back to the dealer in the morning to be looked at for the second time. These trucks are not cheap and therefore in my opinion are held to a higher accountability then others and my experience so far is only going to deter me from purchasing Dodge in the future. I think a call to Chrysler is due. Thanks SPSVRMAN for the tip.
Old 07-22-2012, 08:22 AM

Vehicle: 2014 VW Jetta GLI
Color: Metalic Black
Rep:1358
Excoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud of

Wasn't there another thread along these lines a few months back? I think the problem was figured out and solved... I just can't remember when, who, or where.....

In the mean time I'd start getting my ducks in a row for a lemon law claim... I believe most states have a lemon law that kicks in after the same problem reoccurs 3 times without a proper resolution...

Exco
Oracle Interior LEDs, EGR Vent Visors, Ram eyes, Husky Liner Splash Guards, R/T Badges Front and Rear, LED Light Bar, Stubby Radio Antenna, Custom Shift Knob, ARE LS II bed cover, Bed Rug, Flowmaster 50 series HD, SilverStar Ultra low beams, K&N drop in filter, MOPAR sill guards, Smitty Built nerf bars, 24% tint on the front.
Bill
Old 07-23-2012, 01:51 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: R/T
Color: Deep Water Blue Pearl
Rep:11
Justn519 is on a distinguished road
Angry

Same problem here on 2011 r/t. Yesterday truck would not start just made a click sound and power would come on but that was it would not start and ETC light was on (red lightning bolt), put it in neutral started right up but then the a/c would only blow from floor vents like it was stick on a setting. have had this probem a few times in the last week seems to be getting worse so took it to the dealer said they would not be able to look at it until Monday. truck only has about 6,000 miles on it

Last edited by Justn519; 07-23-2012 at 02:01 AM.
Old 07-23-2012, 09:51 AM

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Ram Longhorn 1500
Trim Level: Laramie Longhorn
Color: Pearl Brown
Rep:31
hicksrt is on a distinguished road

I have the same issue, and it's related to the transmission being in park and a sensor intermittantly faulting. The computer is not detecting the vehicle is in park and disables the remote start or key start. Pull the gear selector out of park and back into park.
Old 07-23-2012, 10:28 AM
Banned

Vehicle: 2012 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Lone Star
Color: Black
Rep:34
Jchaney579 is on a distinguished road

What you got to do, is find Hank... Hank will take you to the Wopper Layer... From there Get yourself a number 3, grilled, and no lettuce but plenty of onions. After that locate your Key Fob Gremlin. His name will be Dankorf. Dankorf is a rare kind of Gremlin with 14 eyes on his left leg. They are very good at spotting Wherethehellarewe Gnome Tribesmen who mainly live in southern Michigan corn fields. Once you find the head Gnome this is where your number 3 with out lettuce and extra onions will come in handy. You must cut the said number 3 into 5 peaces. Not corners NOR halves. IT MUST BE 5 EQUAL PEACES. Otherwise they will set your left ear on fire. The Wherethehellarewe Gnomes have many inbred cousins who feast on number 3s because it just happens to be the number of their favorite Nascar driver. From there you will need to take your truck down to the local dealer and use the warranty you were given with the truck to replace the small problematic parking sensor to tell the truck if it is in park or not when shut off.

YOU MUST heed my warning and follow this entirely. With out doing this exact list of quests you will never get your truck fixed. You will be doomed for a lifetime of have to take your shifter out of park and into drive then back into park before you can start the truck...

YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!
Old 07-23-2012, 07:28 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Mineral Grey
mikeramhemi is on a distinguished road

My 2011 and 2009 have the same problem. They crank but wont start. Put the key back in off and turn it on and the truck starts.