DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 2ND Generation Dodge Ram 1994 to 2001 Dodge Ram Trucks > Powertrain > 3.9L V6 Specifc Topics

Notices

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 07-09-2012, 12:18 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 1996 dodge ram
Trim Level: dodge ram 1500 v6
Color: grey
Engine: 1994-2001 239ci (3.9L) Magnum V6 175hp
Rep:10
kebrowns is on a distinguished road
Default Help with intermittent misfire on ram v6 1500

I have a 1998 dodge ram. I get misfires sometimes. I have already done the tsb(Technical Service Bulletin) for routing the wires properly and still get the misfires. I also did a tune up. Replace plugs, wires, rotor cap, button and pcv valves. Used seafoam through the intakes. Did several fuel treatments. I also bought the haynes manual and tested the 02 sensors, and ignition coil and they were fine. I even bought carb cleaner to spray around the intake manifold several times and there were no vacuum leaks. I checked all vacuum lines they were good. I cleaned maf sensor, iac and tps sensor and no luck. What am I missing? Please help.
Sponsored links
Old 07-10-2012, 06:46 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2004 Quad Cab diesel
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Silver
Engine: 2005-20?? 359ci (5.9L) Cummins ISB 610 24-Valve Diesel I6 325hp 610 lb/ft
Rep:217
dodge man has a spectacular aura aboutdodge man has a spectacular aura aboutdodge man has a spectacular aura about

Did you check for error codes? I think you can do the on off key trick on your truck, and it will show error codes in the display for the odometer. You just turn the key on, off 3 times total leaving it on the last time. It should then show any codes stored in the computer. Don't start the truck when doing this.
Old 07-10-2012, 07:02 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 2X4
Trim Level: quad cab SLT
Color: sunburst orange pearl
Rep:2615
GTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond repute

if you don't have the display function
you can count the beeps, dings, or chimes or count the light flashes
that series of codes should be in the manual, like Haynes or Chiltons
under trouble shooting codes
Ram 1500 SLT Quad cab, 5.7 HEMI(R) MDS VCT, 5 speed auto 545RFE, 3.55 differential gears, 18" Magnaflow muffler, EGR bug deflector, Bushwacker fender flares, customized Nfab nerf bars, CB radio, Autonet wi-fi router, custom soft tonneau cover, Line_X bedliner, DEBO Step, build date 10/15/08 a Wednesday built vehicle
Old 03-08-2013, 08:07 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Ok this what I have done so far. I took the fuel rail off didn't see any blockage. I did notice that the lean bank that threw p0301, p0303, and p0305 had mustang 4.7 2004 fuel injectors on that side. The other bank, bank 2, had the correct injectors for a 1998 dodge ram v6. The mustang injectors were reading around 15.2 ohms and a rating of 20 lbs/hr. The bank 2 side with the correct injectors were reading around 12.2 ohms and had a rating of 22lbs/hr.

Well, since the auto store was closed last night just to see what would happen I swapped bank 1 injectors with the bank 2 injectors. I still got the p0301, p0303, and p0305 codes but his time with a p1756 code. That is some type of transmission governor pressure error that is a solenoid in the tranny. At this point what should be my next move? Would installing the correct injectors be the cure? Or replace the solenoid? Or both?
Old 03-10-2013, 01:36 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2012 Ram Express
Trim Level: Express
Color: Silver
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:63
S.C. Express will become famous soon enough

Get the correct injectors in there regardless.. It might be that the misfires are creating your pressure problem for the tranny solenoid..
Old 03-11-2013, 01:19 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2005 Dodge Ram 1500 Daytona
Trim Level: Daytona
Color: Go ManGo
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:22
NBCarbone is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to NBCarbone

Here's an error code list - I hope it helps

http://www.allpar.com/fix/codes.html

P0301 to P0312 — Cylinder misfire detected where the last two digits are the cylinder number, e.g. P0303 = cylinder #3.

P1756 - Transmission control pressure not what it should be (should be 15-20 PSI)

Last edited by NBCarbone; 03-11-2013 at 01:22 AM.
Old 03-14-2013, 11:26 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

I have already removed the TB didn't see any puddle of oils just a small amount of carbon build up here and there. I also did a compression test but was getting off readings guess my gauge was bad too. Bank one was
All wet.
Bank two
The gauge was giving me issues and I had to do the test several times to get a remotely close readings as mentioned. For about two days I noticed the truck wouldn't start on times. I would turn the key and nothing happened. But after about three turns it will start and will struggle to do so. The battery is ok it's at about 12.46 volts. I am kinda thinking it might be a camshaft sensor or PCM issue now.
Old 03-18-2013, 09:36 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

I recently changed out the mustang injectors that were on bank one to the correct ones and I am still getting p0300, p0301,p0303, and p0305. I forgot to mention that the muffler was off. Not sure if that would cause a problem, but I was having this problem before the muffler became an issue. Also when I replaced the purge solenoid it went away for a month some time ago. I then replaced it again and it re-occurred in 2 days. I have notice that when the truck is warmed up the purge solenoid will make constant
clicking sounds. Not sure if that would be normal.
Old 03-22-2013, 05:01 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Thanks you all for taking the time out to help me with this.

OK I did a lot of searching around and changes and hoping what I did so far made a difference. But before I get into that my biggest concern now is does certain injectors suppose to make louder noises than others?

Ok lets get into what I did so far.

First.

I got some solvent cc cleaner and sprayed and cleaned every sensor connectors and their corresponding sensor terminals including the pcm. After doing this I didn't notice any difference in drive-ability.

Second.

I placed a 16 gauge wire ground strap on the lower screw of the ignition coil and put another ground wire on the bank one rail. Now after doing this I did notice a slight difference in drive-ability and response but no codes popped up.

Third.
I had the muffler installed and that seemed to smooth things down a bit too. After doing all of what I did this the first time ever I got another code P0171 besides the dreadful p030x codes on bank one. P0171 means bank 1 running lean. I also replaced the current upstream bosch 02 sensor on the truck with a NTK o2 sensor. The NTK sensor was the only one I could find that matches the dealers p/n and was $30 cheaper. I have read several other posts that says bosch parts doesn't fit well with dodges. I also changed out the plugs with the oe double plat autolight from autozone.

fourth
Thank you all for your help but before I go tutting my own horn I will continue to drive this truck and report back to see if anything else changed.

The truck starts up smooth but when it warms up it gets a little rough/rumble to it maybe that normal and I am just concerned now as to why some of the injectors only on bank 1 is clicking louder than others. Are these signs of dying injectors? or is it normal?
Last edited by kebrowns : Today at 02:47 PM.