DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > 2011 Dodge Ram Forum

Notices

2011 Dodge Ram Forum For specific discussion of the 2011 Dodge Ram!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 07-08-2012, 08:50 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2011 dodge ram
Trim Level: Big horn
Color: grey
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:18
Bent21606 is on a distinguished road
Default Seafoam advice

Hey guys I have 43k miles on my truck And I'm coming up on a oil change and spark plug change so I want to seafoam my truck. They say dump about a 1/3 can directly in the intake (in assuming this is while it's running?) and to put some in your oil and about a can in the gas. Does that sound rite or should I just put a can in the gas and call it good?
Sponsored links
Old 07-08-2012, 09:00 AM

Vehicle: 2014 VW Jetta GLI
Color: Metalic Black
Rep:1358
Excoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud of

There should be directions listed right on the can of SeaFoam. I used it as a fuel stabilizer in my motorcycle with mixed results. It didn't do much for making the bike run any better....

Why would you need to change your plugs out at 43K miles? Why would you want SeaFoam when there is nothing wrong with the truck?

I'm not sure about the 11's, but I know my owner's manual recommends to NOT use additives, be it for fuel, oil, or anything else.

Exco
Oracle Interior LEDs, EGR Vent Visors, Ram eyes, Husky Liner Splash Guards, R/T Badges Front and Rear, LED Light Bar, Stubby Radio Antenna, Custom Shift Knob, ARE LS II bed cover, Bed Rug, Flowmaster 50 series HD, SilverStar Ultra low beams, K&N drop in filter, MOPAR sill guards, Smitty Built nerf bars, 24% tint on the front.
Bill
Old 07-08-2012, 10:26 AM

Vehicle: 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8
Rep:3883
Grubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond repute

I absolutely love Seafoam!

I have commercial lawn equipment and use it on ALL of them all throughout the year to stabilize the fuel and make sure it all runs efficiently. Once my vehicles get over 40K miles, I use a can of Seafoam on every third fuel fill. Something I've been doing for about 5YRS now.

I've never added it anywhere other than the fuel tank on all my vehicles and equipment so I'm not sure about other places you're speaking of.

Grub out!
Old 07-10-2012, 04:48 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Ram 2500
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Silver
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
svt2026 is on a distinguished road

1/3 into fuel tank,
1/3 into oil, change after driving with a 100 miles,
1/3 into a main vacuum line such as one coming off of the brake booster. This is done with the car running and will blow a ton of smoke. Plenty of videos on youtube to show you how. There are official seafoam release videos to.
Old 07-10-2012, 05:43 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 2X4
Trim Level: quad cab SLT
Color: sunburst orange pearl
Rep:2608
GTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond repute

If you are changing your oil on a regular basis, your engine is staying clean enough as far as the places that need oil
People seem to forget, the oil going into your crankcase has DETERGENTS in it
it is very difficult to find NON DETERGENT motor oil

Your fuel system on the other hand can get very dirty
if you don't change your air filter when it needs it, dirt is carried by the air flow & goes into your fuel system
Then even worse is the fact that the SMOG System pulls oil Vapor out of your crankcase, so that the engine can breathe, these vapors are put into your fuel system, supposedly to burn off when the spark plugs fire. Instead of actually burning off, they only cause the oil to char & build up carbon deposits. Sea foam or a similar product help to keep these deposits at a minimum. Of course a Catch Can will help to keep the oil vapors from entering the fuel system.

For those that have always had a smog system on their vehicles, before about 1968, vehicles did not have Smog Systems, the engines all had a Road Draft Tube, the engine crankcase breathed by allowing the excess pressure to release through the draft tube.
http://www.google.com/imgres?q=327+e...:13,s:32,i:214
Ram 1500 SLT Quad cab, 5.7 HEMI(R) MDS VCT, 5 speed auto 545RFE, 3.55 differential gears, 18" Magnaflow muffler, EGR bug deflector, Bushwacker fender flares, customized Nfab nerf bars, CB radio, Autonet wi-fi router, custom soft tonneau cover, Line_X bedliner, DEBO Step, build date 10/15/08 a Wednesday built vehicle
Old 07-10-2012, 11:02 PM

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: ST
Color: Inferno Red
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:71
wbowyer will become famous soon enough

Don't use it in the crank case unless you actually need it (i.e. lifters or valves are stuck/sticking). Due to the higher quality of fuel and oil and electronic fuel injection there really isn't a point in using a product like this if you maintain your vehicle in accordance with the owners manual. Also, if you use this product and some damage results (directly or just occurs at the same time) you are SOL on your warranty.

I do some fuel system treatment with every oil change and once half way between oil changes out of habit. This is due in part to using synthetic oil (8k between changes) and I normally use it if I get some bad gas (typically an octane booster).
Old 07-11-2012, 02:07 PM

Vehicle: 2011 Ram Crew Cab 4x4
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Deep Cherry
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:92
JHamilton will become famous soon enough

You can spray a little water in the intake and it will have the same effect.
Old 07-11-2012, 02:45 PM

Vehicle: 2006 Dodge Ram SRT 10
Trim Level: SRT-10 Nightrunner
Color: Black
Engine: 2004-2006 505ci (8.3L) Viper V10 510hp 535lb/ft
Rep:26
Canviper is on a distinguished road

You tube is your friend everything is on there lol. Honestly a lot of how too's on You tube.
NIGHTRUNNER #167/#400 MODS: K&N CAI, BBK TB, BORLA EXHAUST catless, AMERICAN RACING HEADERS, SCT TUNED By Chris Jensen. My album is finally up come check out some pics.