DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > 2011 Dodge Ram Forum

Notices

2011 Dodge Ram Forum For specific discussion of the 2011 Dodge Ram!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 07-12-2012, 04:15 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge RAM Sport Crew
Trim Level: Sport w/ Sunroof
Color: Pearl Black
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:13
SwampDonkey2012 is on a distinguished road
Default Any opinions on Tint? Brand, %, quality?

I don't know if this is something that has already been covered. I did a quick search and didn't find much.

I am looking to tint the two front windows on my 2011 Sport CC and wanted to see if anyone on here has a brand they would recommend. Maybe what % darkness that you guys have gone with.

I know a guy who will likely tint it as dark as I would want, but I don't want it to look cheap or tacky. I have seen many dodges drive by, and the tint on the front windows almost has a blue type hue to it. It looks so unmatched and cheap on such a nice truck.

Not what I am looking for obviously. I just wanted to do a little research before taking it over to the tint shop.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

SWAMP
Sponsored links
Old 07-12-2012, 04:30 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2011 Ram Crew Cab 4x4
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Deep Cherry
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:92
JHamilton will become famous soon enough

LLumar and Formula One are both very good. 3M is probably the most common and fine for most applications. I have LLumar on my truck. 20% will match your factory tint very well.

The biggest challenge is finding a good shop. Go somewhere you trust with good reviews and they should have a selection of quality films. They should help you select the right shade and warranty their work.
Old 07-12-2012, 04:32 PM

Vehicle: 2004 Dodge Ram
Color: Black
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:184
ORT has a spectacular aura aboutORT has a spectacular aura about

I installed 20% on the front two windows and 5% on the rear window. I had 20% on the rear first but it was too light for me.
Sidewinder Cam/Edge Converter/Pacesetter LT's/SCT&SC Stack/Hemifever Tune/BFI #32/20% UD Pulley/Fastman TB/Triple Pillar/1 TonCooler/Sonnax/E-Cutout/Venom Hood/SRT Bumper/Roll Pan/HID's/Aeroforce Wideband/E-Fan/Hellwig/2" Drop/170 Stat/D&S Rotors/Remote Start/Hella 500's/5% Tint/Black Everything
Old 07-12-2012, 06:45 PM

Vehicle: 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8
Rep:3883
Grubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond repute

I have 3M on my Ram and Llumar on my Tahoe.

The Tahoe with Llumar was installed January 2011 and the Ram with the 3M was January 2012

My Ram [6K] is showing microscopic scratches on both front windows; not obvious to the nakes eye but I can [clearly] make them out. The Tahoe [18K] doesn't have a single mark on it.

Hope this helped.

Grub out!
Old 07-12-2012, 06:51 PM

Vehicle: 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8
Rep:3883
Grubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHamilton View Post

The biggest challenge is finding a good shop. Go somewhere you trust with good reviews and they should have a selection of quality films. They should help you select the right shade and warranty their work.
Very true.

Just to add...

Find a shop that has your vehicle in its laser data base. The laser will cut the selected tint to your vehicle's glass size specifications. This insures a perfect cut/fit/finish for your vehicle.

There are still tint shops that cut your tint freehand, that is: measured up against your glass. While the very best can do a near perfect job, they are far-n-few between.

Finally a strong word of advice: do NOT roll down the windows until the alocated time.... and then wait another day to be certain. I rolled a previous vehicle's front windows down early one time and pretty much ruined it. I payed for it....

Grub out!
Old 07-12-2012, 07:34 PM

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Express
Color: Black
Rep:10
hnrypat21 is on a distinguished road

3M color stable is the best tint IMO its more expensive but i believe 30% will match factory tint in the color stable because it is a little darker than average tint

Big Man Certified
Old 07-12-2012, 11:14 PM

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: ST
Color: Inferno Red
Rep:71
wbowyer will become famous soon enough

I love the Viper security tint I have on mine. 20% measured about 16%, but it reinforces the window so it won't shatter under impact. I also have a 105lb doberman who decided to claw at the interior of the rear window and it came away with no damage (thankfully)...if that is not a tribute to its toughness I don't know what is.

I did pay for it, and I had it installed at a shop that does very high end sound systems...but I couldn't be happier.
Old 07-13-2012, 02:46 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge RAM Sport Crew
Trim Level: Sport w/ Sunroof
Color: Pearl Black
SwampDonkey2012 is on a distinguished road

in Texas I believe the limit is 35%. I may be mistaken. Any people get hassled by police or during inspection about the darkness? The only other thing that I am worried about.
Old 07-13-2012, 03:29 PM

Vehicle: 2011 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Mineral Gray
CRANKYPISTOL is on a distinguished road

35% is FEDERAL law, not state. Some states get you, some don't. Know the laws and inspection procedures. I added 35% to my fronts and 20% over the factory on the rear.

Can't see in the back and on a sunny day not the front either. Looks good and still legal.
Old 07-13-2012, 04:21 PM

Vehicle: 2011 Ram Crew Cab 4x4
Color: Deep Cherry
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:92
JHamilton will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRANKYPISTOL View Post
35% is FEDERAL law, not state. Some states get you, some don't. Know the laws and inspection procedures. I added 35% to my fronts and 20% over the factory on the rear.

Can't see in the back and on a sunny day not the front either. Looks good and still legal.
The Federal DOT only regulates commercial trucks, not passenger vehicles. That is done on the state level. Some states do not allow you to have any tint. In GA you can be fined even if you are not a resident.

To the OP's question, I have never had an issue with my tint on any vehicle. However, as stated above, know your local laws and ask around locally as YMMV.