DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > Dodge Ram Detailing and General Maintenance Forum > Oil Change

Notices

Oil Change Ready to change the oil in your Dodge Ram? Engine -Trans - Differential - Transfer Case

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 07-13-2012, 04:56 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Black Pearl
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
blackram12 is on a distinguished road

BTW I used Quaker State 5w-20 Ultimate Durability Full Synthetic with some Lucas Oil Stabilizer.
Old 07-13-2012, 05:38 PM
Banned

Vehicle: 2012 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Lone Star
Color: Black
Rep:34
Jchaney579 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgos929 View Post
Well thats simply not true. Every engine is started and ran as a part of the QC process. You think when the delivery truck shows up to the dealer to deliver the trucks they're all pushed to where they're gonna be parked? No they're driven. Very very rarely will you ever by a brand new vehile that has exactly 000000.0 miles on it. But even if you do trust me it's been started before.

Just to stay on subject, I did my first oil change at 500 miles and went to full synthetic Penzoil Platinum. I now have 5700 miles on it and will be changing it again this weekend. The filter was a complete PIA to get off the first time and it's in a very odd spot. It wont be near as bad this next time around.

You miss understood me. My truck had 15 miles on it. That is it, hardly "Broken in" Yes that is true that they are started and moved, THEN they sit for A LONG TIME. Before shipped to dealers where they might sit for another couple months before you bought it. 15 miles is NOT broken in, and the engine is HARDLY thoroughly lubricated with oil to a point where one should feel safe. It takes several hundred miles before lubrication is thorough to every nuke and cranny needed. Is what I meant, why it looked like your truck kind of "chugs" oil the first oil change maybe even slightly the second. The whole point was, it sits, and it needs some of the oil for lubrication, oil does go bad almost like milk.... And one should ALWAYS change oil at 500-1000 miles in a brand new vehicle. Unless you just walked down the assembly line with it and stole the keys as you drove it off the plant lot.

Better?
Old 07-13-2012, 05:53 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2012 1500 4x2 CC Laramie
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Bright White w Silver trim
clanger is on a distinguished road

Thank you for the heads up!

I'm at almost 3K miles on the odo. - will bring it in for the first change!
I plan to do 5K mile changes with synthetic from here on out (will probably change again at 5K miles on odometer to start the 5K mi cycle on nice even numbers from here on out)
Old 07-13-2012, 06:02 PM

Vehicle: 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8
Rep:3883
Grubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond repute

You've lost me here:

First you say...

Quote:
Originally Posted by snrusnak View Post
Exactly. All newer vehicle engines ARE broken in(before installed) to help rid the issues associated with improper break in procedures. It is also for QC as mentioned above.
Then you contradict yourself by saying...

Quote:
Originally Posted by snrusnak View Post
I would still change the oil immediately(with conventional oil, not synthetic). Conventional oil works much better for break in.
If you believe your first point, then the type of oil should make no difference whatsoever, correct?

So which is it that you believe? Are new vehicle's engines broken in prior to hitting the dealership's lots or are they not?

For the record: I do NOT believe in a break-in period for new vehicles. As I mentioned earlier, I have ALWAYS changed my engine oil IMMEDIATELY after bringing it home with SYNTHETIC engine oil [Amsoil].... and then driven them hard.

I've NEVER had a single issue with almost 15 new vehicles in our immediate family in about the last 12 years of using this method.

To each their own I guess.....

Grub out!
Old 07-13-2012, 07:08 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram 4X4
Trim Level: 1500 Big Horn Quad
Color: Saddle Brown
jeepgrady is on a distinguished road

Let me tell you something, the word obsession in the dictionary should show some of the postings on this thread. Why would anyone change their oil as soon as they get it home from the dealer. Also, it makes no sense whatsoever for anyone to do their first oil change prior to 3000 miles.

If it was necessary, don't you think that all manufacturers would state it in their manuals, if required? They have the most to lose with their drivetrain warranties.

In the old days, the manufacturers installed what they called break in oil that required changing after about 1000 miles. That went out with carburators. They never dicatated anything more stringent.

I've purchased just short of 40 new vehicles in my lifetime. Followed the manufacturers oil change recommendations in their respective manuals and have never had an engine problem.

Last edited by jeepgrady; 07-13-2012 at 07:09 PM. Reason: ?
Old 07-13-2012, 08:28 PM
Z funambulist

Vehicle: 2012 1500 reg. cab 4x4
Trim Level: Express
Color: Mineral Gray Metallic
Rep:3227
PaulMys has a reputation beyond reputePaulMys has a reputation beyond reputePaulMys has a reputation beyond reputePaulMys has a reputation beyond reputePaulMys has a reputation beyond reputePaulMys has a reputation beyond reputePaulMys has a reputation beyond reputePaulMys has a reputation beyond reputePaulMys has a reputation beyond reputePaulMys has a reputation beyond reputePaulMys has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepgrady View Post
Let me tell you something, the word obsession in the dictionary should show some of the postings on this thread. Why would anyone change their oil as soon as they get it home from the dealer. Also, it makes no sense whatsoever for anyone to do their first oil change prior to 3000 miles.

If it was necessary, don't you think that all manufacturers would state it in their manuals, if required? They have the most to lose with their drivetrain warranties.

In the old days, the manufacturers installed what they called break in oil that required changing after about 1000 miles. That went out with carburators. They never dicatated anything more stringent.

I've purchased just short of 40 new vehicles in my lifetime. Followed the manufacturers oil change recommendations in their respective manuals and have never had an engine problem.
AMEN Enough said.
Old 07-13-2012, 08:39 PM

Vehicle: 2014 4x4 Regular Cab w/8ft bed
Trim Level: Tradesman 4x4
Color: White
Engine: 2013-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 395hp 410lb/ft
Rep:974
Gantman is a splendid one to beholdGantman is a splendid one to beholdGantman is a splendid one to beholdGantman is a splendid one to beholdGantman is a splendid one to beholdGantman is a splendid one to beholdGantman is a splendid one to beholdGantman is a splendid one to behold

Come on guys, return to your corners please.....As we mechanics say, "You do you, Don't do me". To each his own; Potato or Pototto; This or That; Suck it or Fu?? it! Whoa, sorry man, got off subject there. Speakin of oil change, Where's my wife?
Old 07-13-2012, 09:37 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2012 Ram 1500 Outdoorsman
Trim Level: Outdoorsman
Color: Mineral Grey
AmericanIron is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gantman View Post
Come on guys, return to your corners please.....As we mechanics say, "You do you, Don't do me". To each his own; Potato or Pototto; This or That; Suck it or Fu?? it! Whoa, sorry man, got off subject there. Speakin of oil change, Where's my wife?

well said... do as you fell necessary.
Old 07-13-2012, 09:40 PM

Vehicle: 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8
Rep:3883
Grubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepgrady View Post
Let me tell you something, the word obsession in the dictionary should show some of the postings on this thread. Why would anyone change their oil as soon as they get it home from the dealer.....
I've clearly explained my reasons. It works for me and I sleep better at night.

Grub out!
Old 07-14-2012, 12:13 AM

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT
Color: White
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:1385
snrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud of

grubrunner, I'm not sure where you see the contradiction. You pulled sentences out of context from what I said.

To be a little more clear, just about every modern manufacturer will break an engine in on an engine stand before installing the engine in the vehicle. This is not the exact same break in as a 1,000 mile drive. It is say a 30 minute procedure on a stand. It is a process that accelerates break in, and does a good job at it, but the first say 1,000-5,000 miles of the engine's life in the vehicle still has an effect on the longevity and performance(just not as much as if the engine hadn't been broken in on a stand).

It is not REQUIRED to change your oil immediately or continue with another break in procedure at low miles, but it DOES impact the engine's longevity and performance(albeit in a smaller way than 20-30 years ago).

Not to single anyone out, but I'm confused about the carburetor comment. What do oil changes/break ins have to do with the change from carbs to EFI?

Most owners manuals even have this info included. I remember when my dad bought his s10 it said in the manual to drive the vehicle normally, but to not let it idle for prolonged periods of time and not to give it WOT for X miles(I think it was like 500-1,000 miles). It explained that a break in procedure was not required but the way it was driven initially would effect the vehicle. My ex gf's hyundai elantra had nearly an identical paragraph in it's manual.

Part of the reason that some people get 12mpg on the same vehicle as someone else getting 15mpg is due to the way it was broken in(and other factors, of course). But when you hear about those bastard vehicles like a 2012 hemi 2wd getting 8mpg hwy, you can be sure it was hammered badly off the lot.

Breathing in and out is good enough for me.

Last edited by snrusnak; 07-14-2012 at 12:17 AM.