DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > Dodge Ram Detailing and General Maintenance Forum > Oil Change

Notices

Oil Change Ready to change the oil in your Dodge Ram? Engine -Trans - Differential - Transfer Case

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 07-14-2012, 01:01 AM
Banned

Vehicle: 2012 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Lone Star
Color: Black
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:34
Jchaney579 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepgrady View Post
Let me tell you something, the word obsession in the dictionary should show some of the postings on this thread. Why would anyone change their oil as soon as they get it home from the dealer. Also, it makes no sense whatsoever for anyone to do their first oil change prior to 3000 miles.

If it was necessary, don't you think that all manufacturers would state it in their manuals, if required? They have the most to lose with their drivetrain warranties.

In the old days, the manufacturers installed what they called break in oil that required changing after about 1000 miles. That went out with carburators. They never dicatated anything more stringent.

I've purchased just short of 40 new vehicles in my lifetime. Followed the manufacturers oil change recommendations in their respective manuals and have never had an engine problem.
I am almost 100% sure it says in the manual a certain procedure for maintaining longevity of your vehicle for the first 5000 miles it states "should be followed"

No such thing as obsessed. You are miss using that term in horrid manors. You are first looking for something a long the line of "superstitious" or "religious" about ones vehicle and condition that is not required. Just because one wants to do something that might help maintain their 40grand investment does not make them obsessed. Washing it every other hour does, or rotating the tires every single weekend. I will tell you that it is not "required" but is NOT good to run your truck to 3000 miles on Oil that has SET in your engine. My truck was made back in October of last year. I purchased it in March of this year. It just set, and set, and set, and only had 15 miles on it when I bought it. 1000 mile interval by the looks of the completely black and mucky oil they pulled out was a good decision.
Sponsored links
Old 07-14-2012, 07:26 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: .
Rep:4364
Asur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jchaney579 View Post
I am almost 100% sure it says in the manual a certain procedure for maintaining longevity of your vehicle for the first 5000 miles it states "should be followed"

No such thing as obsessed. You are miss using that term in horrid manors. You are first looking for something a long the line of "superstitious" or "religious" about ones vehicle and condition that is not required. Just because one wants to do something that might help maintain their 40grand investment does not make them obsessed. Washing it every other hour does, or rotating the tires every single weekend. I will tell you that it is not "required" but is NOT good to run your truck to 3000 miles on Oil that has SET in your engine. My truck was made back in October of last year. I purchased it in March of this year. It just set, and set, and set, and only had 15 miles on it when I bought it. 1000 mile interval by the looks of the completely black and mucky oil they pulled out was a good decision.

I agree, and this is why I changed my oil at 3000klm and went to full synthetic also. Investment not obsessement here, but I do wash my truck every week, and since I live near 3 highways, I have a California dust brush to clean it when it gets a bit dusty. Ok so I am obsessed
Old 07-14-2012, 09:01 AM

Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: White
Rep:41
CaptJon is on a distinguished road

These oil threads are almost all the same on every forum. Everybody thinks their way is best. Fact is you cannot tell if oil is good or bad by looking, smelling, or tasting it. It is more of a feel good thing to change it early. You can change it everyday and you will still have the same problems as the guy who does what the manual says. I laughed at the guy who changed his oil when he got home from the dealer but remembered what my aunt Linda always said. "To each his own said the man eating dog $h1t".
Most people are just stuck in the past with the 3k oil changes and long break in miles. It's just not true anymore but if it makes you feel good to do it then rock out. It's your money. I spend my money on a ton of dumb crap so I have no room to criticize. I will say this though, if you want opinions then ask on here but if you want to know the truth then send a oil sample to a lab to test.
Old 07-14-2012, 09:27 AM

Vehicle: 2013Express,2014 Charger R/T
Trim Level: Express
Rep:39
roo is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepgrady View Post
Let me tell you something, the word obsession in the dictionary should show some of the postings on this thread. Why would anyone change their oil as soon as they get it home from the dealer. Also, it makes no sense whatsoever for anyone to do their first oil change prior to 3000 miles.

If it was necessary, don't you think that all manufacturers would state it in their manuals, if required? They have the most to lose with their drivetrain warranties.

In the old days, the manufacturers installed what they called break in oil that required changing after about 1000 miles. That went out with carburators. They never dicatated anything more stringent.

I've purchased just short of 40 new vehicles in my lifetime. Followed the manufacturers oil change recommendations in their respective manuals and have never had an engine problem.
..... And if anyone doesn't believe every nook and crany doesn't have oil after about 15 seconds pull a oil line plug out and see how long it takes to empty the crankcase. Manufacturers spend an awful lot of money cold start testing their engines for emissions and lubrication performance.
Old 07-14-2012, 10:18 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2011 Ram 1500 Quad Cab
Trim Level: Outdoorsman
Color: Silver
Rep:13
blrmkr is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to blrmkr

I changed my oil at 2500 miles and put synthetic in. Part of the reason is because it was a new engine but it was also a left over 2011 that had sat on the lot for about 8 months. I am going to change it again when I hit 7500 miles and then every 7500 after that. I drive mostly highway and about 25000 mles a year, so I don't think this will be an issue. If you drive mostly in town or not that many miles I would recommend doing it a little more often. That is just my opinion though. I didn't reset the oil change indicator thingy when I did my first oil change and at 6600 miles it still hasn't gone off yet.
As for the break-in, here's what the manual says:
ENGINE BREAK-IN RECOMMENDATIONS
A long break-in period is not required for the engine and
drivetrain (transmission and axle) in your vehicle.
Drive moderately during the first 300 miles (500 km).
After the initial 60 miles (100 km), speeds up to 50 or

55 mph (80 or 90 km/h) are desirable.
While cruising, brief full-throttle acceleration within the
limits of local traffic laws, contributes to a good break-in.
Wide-open throttle acceleration in low gear can be detrimental
and should be avoided.
The engine oil installed in the engine at the factory is a
high-quality energy conserving type lubricant. Oil
changes should be consistent with anticipated climate
conditions under which vehicle operations will occur. For
the recommended viscosity and quality grades refer to
“Maintenance Procedures” in “Maintaining Your Vehicle”.
NON-DETERGENT OR STRAIGHT MINERAL
OILS MUST NEVER BE USED.
A new engine may consume some oil during its first few
thousand miles (kilometers) of operation. This should be
considered a normal part of the break-in and not interpreted

as an indication of difficulty.

Old 07-14-2012, 11:14 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2012 quadcab 1500
Trim Level: ST
Color: GRANITE
Rep:10
NEVERDUN is on a distinguished road

"OIL GOES BAD JUST LIKE MILK" WTF.......It's a couple of million years old before they pull it out of the ground! Seriously???????????????
I'm looking for oil change tip and I get this nonsense!
Where is the ignore button on this forum?
If you honestly believe that oil goes bad from sitting, how long do you think it sat in that bottle before you bought it? Where is the expiration date on the bottle? Are you supposed to shake it up before you pour it out? Good luck with that.
Old 07-14-2012, 11:28 AM

Trim Level: Big Horn
Rep:41
CaptJon is on a distinguished road

Its not that it goes bad like milk does, it's the acid build up in the oil that not good to keep in the engine. Thats why there is a time frame along with mileage for oil change recommendations.
Old 07-14-2012, 11:28 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram 4X4
Trim Level: 1500 Big Horn Quad
Color: Saddle Brown
Rep:10
jeepgrady is on a distinguished road

Not to single anyone out, but I'm confused about the carburetor comment. What do oil changes/break ins have to do with the change from carbs to EFI?

My reference to carbs. was just a timeline issue that new engine break-in oil was eliminated around the same time as carbs were eliminated. Never said that one occurred as a result of the other.
Old 07-14-2012, 01:04 PM

Vehicle: 2011 dodge sport 1500 hemi
Trim Level: sport
Color: green
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:621
huntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to all

some of this is funny. my mother used to say, never discuss politics, religion or money. guess i should add motor oil to that list.
Old 07-14-2012, 02:15 PM

Vehicle: 2014 4x4 Regular Cab w/8ft bed
Trim Level: Tradesman 4x4
Engine: 2013-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 395hp 410lb/ft
Rep:974
Gantman is a splendid one to beholdGantman is a splendid one to beholdGantman is a splendid one to beholdGantman is a splendid one to beholdGantman is a splendid one to beholdGantman is a splendid one to beholdGantman is a splendid one to beholdGantman is a splendid one to behold

My Momma says, "Changing your oil is the work of the devil"!