DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - Dodge Cummins Diesel

Notices

Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - Dodge Cummins Diesel Discuss modifying your Dodge Ram with Performance Parts and Accessories!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 07-13-2012, 12:15 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2001 Dodge Ram 2500
Trim Level: SLT Laramie
Color: white
Engine: 2001-2003 359ci (5.9L HO) Cummins ISB 24-Valve Diesel I6 245hp 505lb/ft (6-Speed Manual)
Rep:10
KR15 is on a distinguished road
Default some questions about boosting power...

according to the stats ive read, my 01 2500 cummins is around 210-230 i believe (less than 300 guaranteed). i was wanting to up my total horsepower output to around 400 to 475ish tops.

what are some safe options for someone on a tight budget? or at least what would i be looking at costwise to achieve that kind of HP gain? how much (if any) mpg's will i loose? and will it shorten the life span of something like the injector pump, or anything else vital or extremely expensive? and last, but not least, are they things that someone with general mechanical know how could do or would i need a professional to install them?
Sponsored links
Old 07-13-2012, 12:17 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Engine: 2001-2003 359ci (5.9L HO) Cummins ISB 24-Valve Diesel I6 245hp 505lb/ft (6-Speed Manual)

245hp, 505lb/ft. according to what the forum has provided. my bad. lol
Old 07-15-2012, 08:29 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2011 Ram
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Mineral Grey
Engine: 2011-20?? 409ci (6.7L) Cummins Turbo Diesel 350hp 800lb/ft
GRam is on a distinguished road

Something along the lines of a Banks tuner, turbo-back exhaust of your choice, those power levels I think a good 4" system would be plenty, intake plenum, cold air intake and you'd be awful close.. EGT's should stay low, but make sure and add a pyro as well just to keep a watchful eye on things...
Then there's always higher flow injectors, bigger turbo housings etc that make them things rock...

Torque, it's what moves you...
Old 07-15-2012, 08:33 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2004 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Red
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
ramfanzach is on a distinguished road

Yeah the things you can do with a tuner on those diesels are just wicked. Banks is one of the best to go with too from what I gather but a lot of the guys around here run Bully Dog. That and opening up your exhaust to 4 or 5 inches will bring you on up there. Good luck brother.
Old 07-15-2012, 09:48 PM

Vehicle: 1998.5 Dodge 2500HD 4x4
Color: Black
Engine: 1998-1998 359ci (5.9L) Cummins ISB 24-valve Diesel I6 235hp 420lb/ft (manual), 215hp 420lb/ft(auto)
Rep:57
ArtNJr will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by KR15 View Post
according to the stats ive read, my 01 2500 cummins is around 210-230 i believe (less than 300 guaranteed). i was wanting to up my total horsepower output to around 400 to 475ish tops.

what are some safe options for someone on a tight budget?
K&N air filter, free-flowing exhaust, Edge boost elbow.

Quote:
or at least what would i be looking at costwise to achieve that kind of HP gain? how much (if any) mpg's will i loose? and will it shorten the life span of something like the injector pump, or anything else vital or extremely expensive?
You're #1 problem is the Bosch VP44 injector pump & if yours hasn't already failed it will -- it's not a matter of if, it's just a matter of when & I recently got my 3rd (I said 4th in an another earlier post but that was a mistake). All 1998.5 thru 2001 24-valve Dodge/Cummins trucks came with those pumps -- in 2002 they changed the fuel system completely & did away with that pump. Yes, you can switch to the newer system -- last I checked it would cost around $4500 (& that was several years ago).

But lucky for us there is now a solution -- you've no doubt seen the long, high-roof Freightliner "Sprinter" vans (also sold by Dodge & Mercedes) -- FedEx & other companies use 'em & they came with a 3.7L Mercedes V-6 diesel, but with the very same VP44 piece-of-junk pump. The problem is heat cycles & vibration on the computer & the fact that the Gov't. outlawed lead in solder -- the computer part of the pump heats up / cools down over & over again as you use your truck & the solder joints start to break loose. There's no way of fixing that problem either.

However, when the Freightliner vans started breaking down all over North America, evidently they gave Bosch an earful & Bosch re-designed the computer, making a "heavy duty" version for Frieghtliner that would withstand heat & vibration -- 2 killers of electrical circuits. To the best of my knowledge you cannot get the upgraded pump from Dodge but you can get it from Blue Chip Diesel in New Hampshire & there are probably other vendors / rebuilders who sell them (no affiliation w/ Blue Chip, just a happy customer). The top-of-the-line version is what I got & it costs $2150 -- yes you can get a rebuilt stock unit for about 1/2 that, but then you'll be right back where you started -- with a pump that you KNOW will fail someday.

Now then, once you get the injection pump issue taken care of, you can get larger injectors from different sources & I'm going to get the ones for the motorthome (275 HP) engine direct from Cummins rather than aftermarket -- my truck lasting another 14 years & longer is a lot more important to me than tire-smoking HP. Last I checked those injectors run about $600.

Then you can get a larger turbocharger & of course change the exhaust, the best trick there being a new turbo outlet / wastegate setup with a 4" outlet -- not a 3" outlet then sticking a 4" (or larger) pipe on, but a bigger outlet to begin with. Since exhaust speed is even more important than flow & for now I really don't need more flow, I just took the stock exhaust off from the front pipe back, put on a 3" straight-thru muffler & with two 45º mandrel-bent elbows, turned the exhaust out the right side in front of the rear tire -- that's the least restrictive & easiest to make setup for the stock turbo -- adding a 4" pipe really doesn't do anything as the turbo itself limits the flow, but you can speed it up.

I also have the Edge "boost elbow" which allows more boost (to the intake manifold) & makes it come on quicker too -- a nice simple part change for $27 that actually works! Also, there are replacement necks for the intake manifold -- to smooth out the flow from the intercooler hose into the manifold -- that's next on my list & since they cost about $300 I'm going to make one.

Quote:
and last, but not least, are they things that someone with general mechanical know how could do or would i need a professional to install them?
The injector pump is a pain to work with but if you've got some good tools & general mechanical / electrical experience you can replace that yourself -- you'd want to change the "lift pump" too & that's not a big job -- as long as that pump is external (mine is) & not inside the fuel tank. The injector change is quite a job & that one you might want to have done, but I think everything else (exhaust, intake, etc.) is pretty straightforward.

Cummins pulled 1100 HP from an ISB Cummins stuck in a Dakota & run @ the Bonneville salt flats (world's fastest stock-bodied truck - well over 200 mph several years ago) so going crazy with the engine can be done, but it helps when you've already got a factory full of parts & engineers handy! But realistically, unless you can afford to replace the injector pump often, or spend $4500 to do away with it, going to a "common rail" setup, with the upgrade Frieghtliner pump & a setup that will hold together for a long time, I think 375-400 HP is realistic & if I end up with 350 HP / 700 tq. I'll be happy. More HP gets you from 60 mph to 100 (or more) -- torque is what gets you from 0-60, up the long hill, pulls the trailer, etc.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg truck @ Biltmore.jpg (101.6 KB, 9 views)

Last edited by ArtNJr; 07-15-2012 at 09:59 PM.
Old 07-17-2012, 11:38 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

from what ive seen, the same injector pump runs from 1400-1700 anyways. thanks for the info on the "heavy duty" injector pump that freightliner and the big trucks are using. kinda spendy to my budget. but something i can always save up for.

thanks everyone for your comments. its extremely wonderful to have guys with know how to answer questions like these.
Old 07-18-2012, 01:19 PM

Vehicle: 1998.5 Dodge 2500HD 4x4
Color: Black
Engine: 1998-1998 359ci (5.9L) Cummins ISB 24-valve Diesel I6 235hp 420lb/ft (manual), 215hp 420lb/ft(auto)
Rep:57
ArtNJr will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by KR15 View Post
from what ive seen, the same injector pump runs from 1400-1700 anyways. thanks for the info on the "heavy duty" injector pump that freightliner and the big trucks are using. kinda spendy to my budget. but something i can always save up for.
It's not a semi-truck pump, it's the same Bosch VP44 that the ISB Cummins comes with, but is also used on the Mercedes V-6 diesel in the "Sprinter" vans made by Frieghtliner, sold under their own name & also by Dodge & Mercedes -- FedEx & a number of companies bought a LOT of 'em.

They're longer/taller than the biggest American-made cargo vans, like an extended-body E-350 Ford & when they started breaking down all over North America is when Frieghtliner realized what the problem was -- same one 1998.5-2001 Dodge/Cummins owners have -- the computer part of the pump fails.

So the upgrade pump has the newer "heavy duty" computer that was designed to solve the Freightliner van injection pump failures, but VP44's always fail for the same reason, so what fixes Frieghtliner's problem also fixes Dodge/Cummins owners' problem. You can get a rebuilt version for $1850, but I went ahead & spent the extra $300 to get one with a new computer that has -0- heat cycles on it.
Old 07-24-2012, 07:15 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2006 1500 Laramie
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Blue/Silver
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
hockeyguynick is on a distinguished road

Just my personal opinion, but Banks is way overrated, you are paying extra to get a Banks logo to put on your rear window.... Look into getting a Smarty, or go with an Edge module. I had an Edge Juice with the attitude monitor on my '02, and it livened it up biiig time..... that being said, whatever programmer you get, definitely get an aftermarket lift pump or it will smoke your VP. I had a mechanical pump from Glacier Diesel that ran off the crank pulley, no more electic pump to worry about dying. Plus, the best part about that system was since it was spun by the crank, it actually delivered more fuel the faster the engine was turning.
Old 07-26-2012, 02:12 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

like the sound of a mechanical pump rather than electronic. how much did that pump end up costing you in the long run? was that just the part or installation included?
Old 09-11-2012, 09:58 PM

Vehicle: 1995 dodge ram 2500
Trim Level: Laramie SLT
Color: Red
Engine: 1994-2001 488ci (8.0L) LA V10 300 hp 450lb/ft
Rep:24
95dodgeV10 is on a distinguished road

old edge programmer 100 horse injectors and 4 inch straight exhaust put me at 305 horsepower and 625 bl ft of torque at the rear wheels and thats with an auto trans.