DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 2ND Generation Dodge Ram 1994 to 2001 Dodge Ram Trucks > Powertrain > 5.2L V8 Specific Topics

Notices

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 07-17-2012, 06:11 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 1998 Dodge Ram 1500 Sport
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Black
Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
Rep:10
Posey is on a distinguished road
Smile Project!!

Oh boy. The husband and I made a trade today. He had a 94 Isuzu Trooper and needed a truck again. What I mean when I say "needed a truck" is "wanted a Dodge." Which is totally cool, since the beater we traded for is already cooler than the Trooper. But it's a beater, guys. Let's break it down, shall we?

No reverse. (We're thinking broken reverse piston and/or reverse band out of adjustment. Any other thoughts?)
Overdrive will shake your teeth out. (Would the jacked up reverse band cause this?)
No dash pad. (Angry rig workers are hard on dashes.)
No air conditioning.
Engine has a miss.
Passenger seat doesn't move forward to load the kids in the back.
Door trim panels fall down and get in the way when closing the doors. (We need a LOT of trim pieces. See dash above. Where is the best [cheapest] place to get such things?)
Cup holder in the dash is gone.
No air box.
Dryer sheets shoved in the vents to make the rig smell go away.
Passenger seat belt buckle receiver is gone (luckily, it will buckle into the middle one).
No AM/FM
Paint sucks
Missing almost all the bumper trim.

The good:
It's a Dodge.
We have a clean title, already transferred.
CD player works.
Starts and runs, as long as you go forward and don't idle too long.
Custom exhaust makes it sound nice, even with a miss.
Um....
It's a Dodge.

This should be fun.
Sponsored links
Old 07-17-2012, 09:41 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 95 & 98 1500 Ram 4x4s
Trim Level: SLT & Sport
Color: 1 Blk,1 Red
Rep:36
Screamintrashcan is on a distinguished road

Holy smokes!! (no pun intended)
1. Yup. someone slammed it into/rocked the truck violently AKA drove it like they stole it Ramvan 2500, where are you? Some kind of bolt clamp pin thing busted, common here with plow trucks...

2. Again, Ramvan 2500 knows about this stuff, something about torque converter solonoids or something...

3.This one's up to you, be creative.

4.Put a gauge on the ports, and charge, after replacing the reciever drier.

5. Look in air inlet with a good light while holding the throttle wide open, if you see oil down in the bottom of the hole, you need a plenum gasket change, pretty likely.

6. clean and grease tracks, ( take seat out to do this is easier) PS don't snap off the bolts/studs

7. Go to parts store and get some new plastic grommetty looking things, like push pins for door panels, and replace the 3 screws in each door panel with a little longer ones and screw the cups back down, with washers bent to the contour of the 2 in the cups, and the one i n the front top, paint to match, SNUG ONLY!! winching them down is bad

8.Cup holders on ebay, get the right color (or auto recycler, local) Suggestion. buy an aftermarket cup holder, factory ones are terrible in these trucks, velcro tape and a cover panel for the hole in the dash would be smarter in my opinion.

9. No air box? under hood or inside? go to junkyard, they'll probably be happy to unload some plastic. Color may be important here!

10. Remove drier sheets, remove foam rubber from ducting, it's probably contaminated beyond belief, use gloves, and caution, for mouse nests, go in from pass side, you can do this.

Whew!! Second wind!!

11. Ebay, or local auto recycler.

12. While door panels are off, remove old eaten out speakers (trust me on this) and replace, Even Walmart sells sony xplodes, but i cannot remember what size, they have a guide. Then do the back ones, too!(if the radio doesn't even light up, find the fuse by opening up the drivers door, and looking at all the fuses and seeing if any are burned out, doubtful that its a radio prob, the radios are pretty bulletproof. (factory speakers are terrible quality, tho) Hmm, on review, more info needed on this, antenna not connected?

13. Paint truck.

14.Any body shop has used dodge bumper plastic trim, pick thru it and get good stuff deer collisions are great producers of used bumper trim, slightly damamged use emblem tape to hold it on, it's expensive, but worth it 3 m brand only. This will take finesse to apply effectively, and invisibly.

Good luck!
Old 07-18-2012, 10:01 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Well, he pulled the tranny pan today. Touched the lever on the reverse band and lo and behold, the reverse band strut plate fell out. Whoopsie daisy.

The reverse band will NOT adjust to 72 in lb. It'll only go to 50 in lb and it runs out of threads. Worn out band? Poorly calibrated torque wrench? Transmission needs beaten with a hammer?
Old 07-18-2012, 10:47 PM

Vehicle: 2001 1500/1982 D150
Trim Level: Base
Color: White
Rep:21
ramfam is on a distinguished road

Speakers are 6x9 in doors and 6 1\2 in back of extended cab. Trans can't help you with. I went for the manual on mine (exalent choice if I say so) but have fun with that beast. (Post pics and updates.)
Old 07-18-2012, 11:22 PM

Vehicle: 1995 Dodge Ram B2500 Van
Trim Level: SLT - 2500
Color: Deep Molten Pearl Coat, Silver, Grey
Rep:127
ramvan2500 will become famous soon enoughramvan2500 will become famous soon enough

As for the A/C system make sure you have a EPA 609 certificate if you're going to remove refrigerant, elsewise if it's empty then you don't need it. What I do is wait until a system leaks out on it's own and lucky me they leak fast with ol' busted up piping. Anyways for the A/C you should replace not only the filter drier but the expansion valve and all o-rings to ensure it is leak free, be sure to put some prestite tape on the entire expansion valve for proper operation. There is more thorough things that can be done but in terms of budget this is the acceptable.

As for the transmission, we took care of that. We still have this 4th gear vibration issue. If it's gear related and not much speed related then you should notice vibration at 45MPH when cruising.
Old 07-19-2012, 02:21 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

The truck now moves backwards under power! Huge thanks to Ramvan for all his help. Reverse is functional.

New distributor cap, button, wires, and plugs. Old cap was fried and cracked. If it wasn't the original, it wasn't far from it. NASTY. One plug was absolutely black. That cylinder hadn't fired in ages. It idles much better now, but has a backfire instead of a miss. We're thinking it needs to burn all the junk out of the formerly misfiring cylinder.

Air conditioning is also functional now. Just needed filled. Almost 3 cans of refrigerant and we're cooling again.

He just got back from a test run. I'll try to grab some pictures of her this evening. She's rough right now, but we've got big plans for her. She'll be a functional beauty queen hopefully. Hopefully...
Old 07-19-2012, 02:35 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Nevermind. My gorgeous brilliant stressed husband had crossed two spark plug wires. All is well now. Still stalling every once in a while, but something tells me the lack of air box is the culprit there.

Okay, on the transfer case, there is a plug and bracket on the right side. We have a nonfunctional speedo. Related?
Old 07-19-2012, 06:11 PM

ramvan2500 will become famous soon enoughramvan2500 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Posey View Post
The truck now moves backwards under power! Huge thanks to Ramvan for all his help. Reverse is functional.

New distributor cap, button, wires, and plugs. Old cap was fried and cracked. If it wasn't the original, it wasn't far from it. NASTY. One plug was absolutely black. That cylinder hadn't fired in ages. It idles much better now, but has a backfire instead of a miss. We're thinking it needs to burn all the junk out of the formerly misfiring cylinder.

Air conditioning is also functional now. Just needed filled. Almost 3 cans of refrigerant and we're cooling again.

He just got back from a test run. I'll try to grab some pictures of her this evening. She's rough right now, but we've got big plans for her. She'll be a functional beauty queen hopefully. Hopefully...
Good to hear it drives backwards, this always means you have manual 1st gear!

I would be careful about that A/C, I would save up money to get ready to do some serious rebuilding of the A/C system. It doesn't actually cost much, you could replace the usual components i.e. Expansion valve(s), drier, valve cores, o-rings and gaskets, flush, new oil, and new refrigerant for about 150 bucks. I am going through the process right now of rebuilding my A/C system and the sad part is all the piping is steel and some moisture found its way into the system so the inside of the piping is rusted slight so I have to put everything in a phosphoric bath and rebuild the compressor and flush everything along with the replacing of the aforementioned components.

But anyways good to hear it's running, oh does it stall out in reverse frequently?
Old 07-19-2012, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Posey View Post
Nevermind. My gorgeous brilliant stressed husband had crossed two spark plug wires. All is well now. Still stalling every once in a while, but something tells me the lack of air box is the culprit there.

Okay, on the transfer case, there is a plug and bracket on the right side. We have a nonfunctional speedo. Related?
Well if it's not plugged in then the speedo won't work. Check to see if there is come debris inside the plug sometimes it causes a short, worst case is the speedo has failed and that's only a 25 dollar part so yea no biggy there.
Old 07-19-2012, 09:36 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Sorry, Ramvan. My question was if that plug was where the speedo was supposed to be plugged in. There's currently nothing there... Just an empty hole where something SHOULD be plugged in. It's a 4 pin plug, but there's nothing plugged in there. I researched it a bit here on the forum and found a previous post from you where you said the speedo was typically on the drivers side of the trans, and this is on the passenger side of the transfer case.