DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 2ND Generation Dodge Ram 1994 to 2001 Dodge Ram Trucks > Powertrain > 5.2L V8 Specific Topics

Notices

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 07-19-2012, 10:45 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 1998 Dodge Ram 1500 Sport
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Black
Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
Rep:10
Posey is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramvan2500 View Post
But anyways good to hear it's running, oh does it stall out in reverse frequently?
It does stall in reverse, but we're thinking that's the lack of air box. We're replacing that tomorrow. It tries to stall anytime you let off the gas when it's in gear.

Big junkyard journey planned for tomorrow, and we're so excited. How hokey are we? Most awesome couple ever, I swear. (Our children may not mind it now, but someday, they will write sonnets dedicated to our lameness.)

As for the AC, we likely will replace most of the components. Right now, we just wanted to get everything mostly functional. Like I said, our hope is for the truck to be a functional beauty queen eventually, but it'll be a Johnny Cash One Piece at a Time kinda thing. She even got a name today. Big things happening at Casa Posey.

One thing I forgot to mention in my original post, and I feel like a total dope for it, is that the front drive shaft is missing. Like, gone. Not there. We'll be looking for one of those on our junk journey tomorrow as well. I was wondering if the outlet/plug thingamajig on the transfer case might be related to the missing front drive shaft, but the husband said it was highly unlikely.

So in terms of updates... Engine is running excellent for something with no air cleaner. Tranny shifts super smooth (even into reverse!) and OD is working perfect now. No more miss thanks to a tune up. Air conditioning is at least functional if not perfect. Interior still outright sucks. Exterior still needs a lot of body hammer love, rocker panel repair, and PAINT. Need a bumper. Lights are 100% functional. Ready for WV inspection (on the docket for tomorrow).
Sponsored links
Old 07-19-2012, 10:47 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member

Vehicle: 1995 Dodge Ram B2500 Van
Trim Level: SLT - 2500
Color: Deep Molten Pearl Coat, Silver, Grey
Rep:128
ramvan2500 will become famous soon enoughramvan2500 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Posey View Post
Sorry, Ramvan. My question was if that plug was where the speedo was supposed to be plugged in. There's currently nothing there... Just an empty hole where something SHOULD be plugged in. It's a 4 pin plug, but there's nothing plugged in there. I researched it a bit here on the forum and found a previous post from you where you said the speedo was typically on the drivers side of the trans, and this is on the passenger side of the transfer case.
If it's driver side then it's going to be a 2WD, if it's passenger side then it's 4WD. I hadn't known that you have a 4WD, but something should be connected look for a plug.
Old 07-19-2012, 11:00 PM

ramvan2500 will become famous soon enoughramvan2500 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
It does stall in reverse, but we're thinking that's the lack of air box. We're replacing that tomorrow. It tries to stall anytime you let off the gas when it's in gear.

Big junkyard journey planned for tomorrow, and we're so excited. How hokey are we? Most awesome couple ever, I swear. (Our children may not mind it now, but someday, they will write sonnets dedicated to our lameness.)

As for the AC, we likely will replace most of the components. Right now, we just wanted to get everything mostly functional. Like I said, our hope is for the truck to be a functional beauty queen eventually, but it'll be a Johnny Cash One Piece at a Time kinda thing. She even got a name today. Big things happening at Casa Posey.

One thing I forgot to mention in my original post, and I feel like a total dope for it, is that the front drive shaft is missing. Like, gone. Not there. We'll be looking for one of those on our junk journey tomorrow as well. I was wondering if the outlet/plug thingamajig on the transfer case might be related to the missing front drive shaft, but the husband said it was highly unlikely.

So in terms of updates... Engine is running excellent for something with no air cleaner. Tranny shifts super smooth (even into reverse!) and OD is working perfect now. No more miss thanks to a tune up. Air conditioning is at least functional if not perfect. Interior still outright sucks. Exterior still needs a lot of body hammer love, rocker panel repair, and PAINT. Need a bumper. Lights are 100% functional. Ready for WV inspection (on the docket for tomorrow).
Don't worry, I plan junk yard days. Love going to the junkyard, just wish there were some more dodge's, tons of jeeps.

Anyways if you want to replace or get a driveshaft I always buy from dynotech. They make the best driveshafts in the world, hands down. There website is www.dynotecheng.com

But one from the junkyard will do fine, most likely the previous owner or someone at one time remove the driveshaft to improve MPG's, one could replace the hubs with locking hubs to improve MPG.

Well if you ever need any help I do more than just transmissions.
Old 07-19-2012, 11:09 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

We just realized we had a misunderstanding about the Mystery Plug. It isn't ON the transfer case. It's in the wiring harness. It exits the wiring harness BY the transfer case, and is held TO the transfer case by a bracket. So it's not a wire that enters the TC in any way shape or form. Just an exit point for whatever mystery system this happens to be. We're clueless right now. ANY help would be appreciated.

Once again, Ramvan, we appreciate all your help. I can't up your rep any more yet! I will as soon as I can though. Promise!
Old 07-19-2012, 11:14 PM

Quote:
We just realized we had a misunderstanding about the Mystery Plug. It isn't ON the transfer case. It's in the wiring harness. It exits the wiring harness BY the transfer case, and is held TO the transfer case by a bracket. So it's not a wire that enters the TC in any way shape or form. Just an exit point for whatever mystery system this happens to be. We're clueless right now. ANY help would be appreciated.

Once again, Ramvan, we appreciate all your help. I can't up your rep any more yet! I will as soon as I can though. Promise!
I haven't worked on a 4X4 before, it isn't much different but I am not familiar where plug locations are with the 4X4. The only thing I can do for you is give you a service manual but I need you to PM me your email address.
Old 07-20-2012, 02:40 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

A service manual would rock my world. I'll mail you cookies in return if you want. PMing you now.

Junkyard has just about everything we needed from there. Some things we obviously will purchase new, but drive shaft and the like were readily available. Now if the rain would stop, the building could begin.
Old 07-20-2012, 02:46 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

I don't have enough posts to send you a private message and I don't want to just spam the forum to get my post count up. My email is livinglikescarlett at gmail dot com. Hopefully that doesn't violate any rules. :-/
Old 07-20-2012, 05:06 PM

Vehicle: 2003 Dodge Ram 1500 Quad
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Grey
Engine: 2002-2007 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 235hp 295lb/ft
Rep:27
Maddevill is on a distinguished road
Talking A thought

I just want to say that you are an enchanting, very funny lady. Your relationship with your hubby sounds a lot like the one I have with my wife. Lots of laughs. I enjoy reading your posts. Keep it up!
Old 07-21-2012, 11:11 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Aw, thanks Maddevill! Mr. Posey is my heart. Our life is absolutely insane, full of transmission fluid and gear oil and Johnson's Paste Wax and Aveeno Baby Wash and mud and pool water and all sorts of goodness.

Together, we have a 4 year old son (Xavier) (mine, from a previous marriage), who is probably certifiably insane, but also kind and good and sweeter than watermelon. We also have a daughter, Emerson, who will be 1 on August 10. She's 24 pounds of personality and her birth trumped everything else that happened in J's life previously - including 20 years in the US Army and 3 combat tours.

In the driveway, there's that ol' beater Dodge that we've named Black Betty (Bam a lam), a 77 Corvette named Eartha cause she looks like Catwoman and purrs like Eartha Kitt, and an 07 Nitro that doesn't take much tinkering and remains nameless. It mostly carries groceries and babies. The Vette carries neither. Right now, the Dodge mostly carries parts. :0)
Old 07-22-2012, 11:39 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Okay, back on track. After the junkyard journey, the truck is in a lot better shape. J got and installed:

Air cleaner
Front drive shaft
Dash assembly (whole shebang, top to bottom)
Power steering pump
Steering gear box

We did figure out what The Mystery Plug is... 02 sensor. We'll have to pick one of those up.

When he was replacing the steering gear box, he found out that the pittman arm has some slop in it. That will need attention as well. Wheels are solid, no wiggle.

In all the transmission work, apparently the reverse light switch got mashed down. Reverse lights are on 100% of the time. He's going to have to drop the pan AGAIN and get that taken care of.

No dice at the junk yard on door trim panels. Ours are okay, just need a few repairs. All the ones at the yard had water damage. Same for seats. Ours are pretty worn out. J is thinking we'll recover them eventually. Our plan is to go with an all black interior eventually.

Also no dice on a bumper. All the donor trucks there had front end damage, which we expected. I would venture a guess that something like 90% of vehicles there are victims of front end collisions. We'll get there eventually.

But she's running really great. No more stalling at all. No miss. No smoke. Shifts great. We're really pleased with the progress made in such a short time.