DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - News Desk > MOPAR NATION - Dodge Ram Club Regional Chapters! > Dodge Ram Forum CANADA

Notices

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 12-10-2013, 11:24 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member

Vehicle: 2014 Ram Bighorn
Trim Level: Bighorn
Color: Black
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
beeg3 is on a distinguished road
Default Best replacement tires?

I'd like to replace the Wrangler tires that come on my new Ram. Has anyone had any experience with Michelin LTX A/T 2's or LTX M/S 2's. I would prefer the A/T's, I think, for the Ontario winters, but will they ride as nice as the M/S tires? What has your experience been with the M/S tires in winter conditions?
Sponsored links
Old 12-10-2013, 05:34 PM

Vehicle: 2009 Ram RCSB 4x4
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Stone White
Rep:100
dbuzz77 will become famous soon enoughdbuzz77 will become famous soon enough

I liked my Cooper Discoverer HT's on my 07. when i looked after company vehicles the michelins lasted forever but only had traction for the 1st year. maybe someone else has had them before.
Old 12-10-2013, 05:52 PM

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Sport 4x4
Color: White
Rep:212
jsettle has a spectacular aura aboutjsettle has a spectacular aura aboutjsettle has a spectacular aura about

On my previous 2005 ram I had the Coopers at one point but also had the Michelin's...I did enjoy the comfort and grip the Coopers had, however they just didn't last as long as they are a more soft compound. I'll second dbuzz77 in that the Michelin's do last forever and are great the first year, but after that first year the handling and comfort aspect of them isn't near as good.

IMHO, the Goodyear Wrangler's that come on the new trucks are phenomenal. They are a good combination of longevity and comfort.

Build Thread: http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=160442
Old 12-10-2013, 08:00 PM

Thanks guys, for your input. Interesting that you like the wranglers. I was going to put new tires on because of the many negative reviews I've read. Maybe I should give them a chance. I'll also look into the Coopers.
Old 12-10-2013, 10:09 PM

Vehicle: 2009 Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Deepwater Blue
Rep:130
Swaggerville Ram will become famous soon enoughSwaggerville Ram will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsettle View Post
On my previous 2005 ram I had the Coopers at one point but also had the Michelin's...I did enjoy the comfort and grip the Coopers had, however they just didn't last as long as they are a more soft compound. I'll second dbuzz77 in that the Michelin's do last forever and are great the first year, but after that first year the handling and comfort aspect of them isn't near as good.

IMHO, the Goodyear Wrangler's that come on the new trucks are phenomenal. They are a good combination of longevity and comfort.
Except they're P rated tires

I've had Goodyear Duratrac's on my 09 since 25000kms and I love them. Currently at 106xxx

I had the dealer put on Goodyear silent armours on my 13 when I bought it. I like them so far the deep snow traction is not quite what the Duratrac's were new but they seem to work well on the snow and ice. Much quieter than the Duratrac's

"I don't care to hear what your ideas are, mine are better"

Last edited by Swaggerville Ram; 12-10-2013 at 10:12 PM.
Old 12-15-2013, 12:50 PM

I got my new Bighorn four days ago. I ended up last night caught in a big snow storm. You couldn't tell where the road ended and the shoulders started. It was blowing deep snow, with no tracks in front of me. I guess I was the only person stupid enough to be out in it last night. The Goodyear SR/a's were incredible. No sliding or spinning at all. In fact, I had no problems at all, including climbing a number of good sized hills, almost from a stop. I've heard so many negative comments about these tires. Now I don't know if it makes any sense to replace them.
Old 12-15-2013, 02:13 PM

Color: Deepwater Blue
Rep:130
Swaggerville Ram will become famous soon enoughSwaggerville Ram will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by beeg3 View Post
I got my new Bighorn four days ago. I ended up last night caught in a big snow storm. You couldn't tell where the road ended and the shoulders started. It was blowing deep snow, with no tracks in front of me. I guess I was the only person stupid enough to be out in it last night. The Goodyear SR/a's were incredible. No sliding or spinning at all. In fact, I had no problems at all, including climbing a number of good sized hills, almost from a stop. I've heard so many negative comments about these tires. Now I don't know if it makes any sense to replace them.
Imagine how well you would like REAL tires
IMO the truck should come with tires that are capable of meeting, or exceeding its towing capacity.
P tires belong on cars

"I don't care to hear what your ideas are, mine are better"
Old 12-15-2013, 04:12 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Color: Brilliant Black
Bluedragon436 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by beeg3 View Post
Was wondering how these tires would perform in the snow, as the ones that were on my 04 stock sucked in anything that was completely dry pavement..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggerville Ram View Post
Imagine how well you would like REAL tires
IMO the truck should come with tires that are capable of meeting, or exceeding its towing capacity.
P tires belong on cars
Do wish these were higher rated, but as I don't haul anything too heavy or tow anything too heavy.. at least not at the moment, and by the time I will be I'll have replaced the tires and probably the rims as well anyways... I think these tires will do just fine for me for now anyways, at least till I can afford some new rims/tires...
Old 12-15-2013, 04:36 PM

The fact that they are P rated tires is a little rediculous, considering the price of the trucks and the tow ratings. It seems that most half-tons come with P's. I occasionally haul a two horse gooseneck maximum 5500 lbs. My last truck, a Silverado had P's and I didn't have any problem hauling. Maybe I was just lucky.
Old 12-15-2013, 11:25 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2013 Ram Big Horn
Trim Level: SLT Big Horn
Color: True Blue
cdnp62000 is on a distinguished road

My Big Horn also came with stock SR/A's. They do handle ok in light snow, but on the heavy snow covered residential roads in town, I find the truck gets pulled around until the wheels find traction again. The truck also slides a fair distance at icy intersections with ABS kicking all the while. Not good if I need to stop in a hurry.
I used to run "all weather" but winter rated (mountain/snowflake marked) Nokian Rotiivas on my Dakota, and have just installed them on my wifes Durango. They handle deep snow better than the SR/A's and stop very well on ice.
I am not sure if I will install the 20 inch rotiiva's on my truck (will need to have speedo recalibrated), or buy 17 inch rims and install speed equivalent 17 inch Rotiivas.