DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 2ND Generation Dodge Ram 1994 to 2001 Dodge Ram Trucks > Powertrain > 5.2L V8 Specific Topics
Register Advertising Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 07-18-2012, 12:35 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 1997 dodge ram 1500
Trim Level: Base model 1500
Color: Black
Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
Rep:22
Irishpride413 is on a distinguished road
Default Transmission help!! ):

so im finally back on here and ive been having some tranny issues. my 1-2-3 gears work just great, BUT O/D is a no go and then the other day i developed a P1757 code (governor psi over 5psi [should be 0 at that time]) so i figured i had a blockage. so upon some digging i found a forum that showed you can refurb your own solenoids and sensors so i went ahead and disassembled the solenoid down to the piston and ran 12v to it, piston engaged i sprayed everything out until i saw no more dirt, also doing so with the pan and the tranny filter is brannddddd new. i had alot of shavings so i cleaned them all out after using special sea foam just for A/T. i then reassembled everything only to find out now it wont go into third unless i hammer it around 2700rpm then let off and get back on the gas and itll shift up or i have to go from D down to 2 and then back to D. i dont want to just assume my transmission is fried because when it was shifting right it was engaging pretty hard. the fluid was a normal color when i dropped the pan and i went threw with a fine tooth and comb and nothing, so im trying to get some input on whether my tranny is just flat out facked or if i can replace the solenoid and sensor, and if thats the case is there a aftermarket brand i should go with because i really dont want to drop this pan again for awhile. its in a 1997 dodge ram 5.2L (46re-rh). please helpppp i dont know what to do anymore im running out of ideas and i cant afford a new transmission at this particular time.
Sponsored links
Old 07-18-2012, 07:29 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member

Vehicle: 1995 Dodge Ram B2500 Van
Trim Level: SLT - 2500
Color: Deep Molten Pearl Coat, Silver, Grey
Rep:128
ramvan2500 will become famous soon enoughramvan2500 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishpride413 View Post
so im finally back on here and ive been having some tranny issues. my 1-2-3 gears work just great, BUT O/D is a no go and then the other day i developed a P1757 code (governor psi over 5psi [should be 0 at that time]) so i figured i had a blockage. so upon some digging i found a forum that showed you can refurb your own solenoids and sensors so i went ahead and disassembled the solenoid down to the piston and ran 12v to it, piston engaged i sprayed everything out until i saw no more dirt, also doing so with the pan and the tranny filter is brannddddd new. i had alot of shavings so i cleaned them all out after using special sea foam just for A/T. i then reassembled everything only to find out now it wont go into third unless i hammer it around 2700rpm then let off and get back on the gas and itll shift up or i have to go from D down to 2 and then back to D. i dont want to just assume my transmission is fried because when it was shifting right it was engaging pretty hard. the fluid was a normal color when i dropped the pan and i went threw with a fine tooth and comb and nothing, so im trying to get some input on whether my tranny is just flat out facked or if i can replace the solenoid and sensor, and if thats the case is there a aftermarket brand i should go with because i really dont want to drop this pan again for awhile. its in a 1997 dodge ram 5.2L (46re-rh). please helpppp i dont know what to do anymore im running out of ideas and i cant afford a new transmission at this particular time.
Well you can afford a rebuild but not the shipping... Anyways, it sounds like there is a leakage either with the valve body which is more likely the issue because you have to remove it to take the sensor off and many people don't know how to properly torque the valve body, thing is torquing bolts into aluminum is different then steel.
So it might just be a leakage there, elsewise it's a direct clutch inner lip seal leak (causes the slip or no 2-3 shift, it's very famous issue what made dodge famous for there crap transmissions) (they aren't crap btw, it's the idiot who overmachined the drum)...

I can't tell you what to do exactly because it could be anything, but I gave you some things to think of.
Old 07-20-2012, 11:22 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramvan2500 View Post
Well you can afford a rebuild but not the shipping... Anyways, it sounds like there is a leakage either with the valve body which is more likely the issue because you have to remove it to take the sensor off and many people don't know how to properly torque the valve body, thing is torquing bolts into aluminum is different then steel.
So it might just be a leakage there, elsewise it's a direct clutch inner lip seal leak (causes the slip or no 2-3 shift, it's very famous issue what made dodge famous for there crap transmissions) (they aren't crap btw, it's the idiot who overmachined the drum)...

I can't tell you what to do exactly because it could be anything, but I gave you some things to think of.
my solenoid and sensor were right next to my tranny filter? i didnt have to touch my valve body and it was shifting okay til i cleaned the bad sensor and i know the refurbished units just change the copper wire that sends a signal up to the ecm. so im thinking that automatic wire is toasted. im gonna order a B&M solenoid and see if that dosent help because i have 3rd gear i just have to floor it right near the shift point then let off to get it to shift or i have to shift it manually on the column but it still engages
Old 07-20-2012, 11:30 AM

ramvan2500 will become famous soon enoughramvan2500 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
my solenoid and sensor were right next to my tranny filter? i didnt have to touch my valve body and it was shifting okay til i cleaned the bad sensor and i know the refurbished units just change the copper wire that sends a signal up to the ecm. so im thinking that automatic wire is toasted. im gonna order a B&M solenoid and see if that dosent help because i have 3rd gear i just have to floor it right near the shift point then let off to get it to shift or i have to shift it manually on the column but it still engages
Well the 2-3 shift should be very firm and quick, the times when you have to let go of the gas to get it into third usually indicate that there is a internal leak, specifically the direct clutch inner lip seal (where the 'why dodge transmissions suck' came from). I don't know what to tell you, try checking the throttle valve cable adjustment, make sure it's adjusted properly.
Old 08-13-2012, 09:51 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Quote:
Well the 2-3 shift should be very firm and quick, the times when you have to let go of the gas to get it into third usually indicate that there is a internal leak, specifically the direct clutch inner lip seal (where the 'why dodge transmissions suck' came from). I don't know what to tell you, try checking the throttle valve cable adjustment, make sure it's adjusted properly.
okay so since all this, ive replaced all solenoids retorqued the valve body and cleaned everything well, still shifting like a bitch so im gonna just swap it for a tranny i found thats got 15k on it since rebuild. buddy said hell sell it for like 400$, cant beat that lol
Old 08-13-2012, 10:03 PM

Quote:
okay so since all this, ive replaced all solenoids retorqued the valve body and cleaned everything well, still shifting like a bitch so im gonna just swap it for a tranny i found thats got 15k on it since rebuild. buddy said hell sell it for like 400$, cant beat that lol
No you can't. The 2-3 shift WOT will always be slow and it is somewhat of a good thing because if it just went bang into 3rd then the planets would most likely explode from shock loading. The 3-4 shift well it's difficult because it's controlled electronically and crap like that. The second you throw electronics into the works things go hay wire.
Old 08-13-2012, 10:09 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Quote:
No you can't. The 2-3 shift WOT will always be slow and it is somewhat of a good thing because if it just went bang into 3rd then the planets would most likely explode from shock loading. The 3-4 shift well it's difficult because it's controlled electronically and crap like that. The second you throw electronics into the works things go hay wire.
okay, silly question time. can i swap my 46re out for a 46rh. id much rather a hydraulic/mechanical setup then this crap electronic setup
Old 08-13-2012, 10:18 PM

Quote:
okay, silly question time. can i swap my 46re out for a 46rh. id much rather a hydraulic/mechanical setup then this crap electronic setup
well the 46RH still has electronics, but it's only for the 4th gear (OD gear) and the torque converter clutch. this is good because you will always have the first three gears and reverse if the electronics failed so it's more reliable.

But yes you could put a 46RH in there, you can put a 46RH behind motor that it can mount too and it will shift. you just may not have 4th gear or TCC activation. What you would need to do is take the 46RE wiring, cut the connector and take the plug for a 46RH and connect the wires for the TC clutch and OD plus the ground wire to that 46RH connector in order to have 4th gear and a TCC. TCC Is torque converter clutch. Now you may well probably will throw codes left and right but it will work. The older computers that were in vehicles with the 46RH or any RH wouldn't do crap for the transmission, the computer in those vehicles controlled one thing in primary, the engine. Of course the PCM would have control over 4th gear because you don't want to run in 4th up a hill because you will hurt the engine badly.
Old 08-13-2012, 10:36 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

ive debating that, or a NV swap
Old 08-14-2012, 10:33 AM

Quote:
ive debating that, or a NV swap
If you go to a manual transmission then you WILL have to change the ECM for one that handles the manual.