DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Chassis - Drive Line - Suspension - Wheels and Tires - LIFTING - Dodge Ram 4x4, 2x4

Notices

Custom Chassis - Drive Line - Suspension - Wheels and Tires - LIFTING - Dodge Ram 4x4, 2x4 Discuss anything related to Custom Dodge Ram Wheels, Tires, Brakes, Suspension Mods, Chassis Mods and Tuning, Towing options, Driveline, 4x4, Differentials, Sway Bars, Lifting Springs, Body Lifts, Strut Braces, etc.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 07-18-2012, 05:04 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: White
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:16
dbowmaneod is on a distinguished road
Default Leveling my truck what should I look into?

I have 11' CC 1500 4x4. I am looking to use the Bilstein 5100 on the front to level the truck. I have heard these shocks work well and still offer a good ride. My concern is for the rear. What shocks, bumpstops or other upgrades should I use. I want to be able to throw some weight in the back and not sag. I know the ride will change some I'm sure. But I don't want to look like most of the other trucks riding down the road with nothing in the rear and the tailgates touching the ground.(<---Sarcasm) Anyways, I'm trying to research the best way to go. Don't want to go the airbag way, I'm not going to be putting thousands of pounds back there. I know there are some really nice Rams on here that already have this done. Just looking for the best bang for the buck. Thanks in advance.
Old 07-18-2012, 09:23 PM

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: Express
Color: Silver
Engine: 2009-2012 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:272
h2oman is a jewel in the roughh2oman is a jewel in the roughh2oman is a jewel in the rough

Bilsteins all around. Never worry about it again.
Old 07-19-2012, 09:20 AM

Vehicle: 2004 Dodge Ram 1500 4X4
Trim Level: Sport quad cab
Color: Bright Silver Metallic
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:327
starquestbd22 is a jewel in the roughstarquestbd22 is a jewel in the roughstarquestbd22 is a jewel in the roughstarquestbd22 is a jewel in the rough

I doubt you will notice much of a change in the ride, especially on a new truck where the stock shocks aren't completely worn out. If you do notice, however, I would venture to say it won't be a negative change.

If I read your post correctly, you are wanting to make sure your truck doesn't have the "nose high" look after leveling? That was a very big deal for me when I put the Bilsteins on my 2006 Ram. I see trucks off all different makes running around the town I live in that have been leveled and set too high in the front (at least in my opinion). I can spot them a mile away, lol.

That being said, I set my Bilsteins on the second to last setting rather than the highest setting. By measuring, the front was still lower than the rear by an inch or more. By eyeball, I would not have wanted it any higher. I would rather still have a very slight front rake myself than risk it sitting nose high. Seems like most 4th gen owners go with the max 2.8" setting on the Bilsteins. You may want to consider the next setting down. Google or search this site for photos...I know at least a few have gone with that setting. Putting the Bilsteins on the rear is a good option too as they probably won't let the rear of the truck droop as much as the stockers under load. But if you have the truck completely level and put more than a couple hundred pounds in the bed or tow most anything, you are going to end up nose high....at least until you unload. There are other options but I'm not too familiar with those...maybe someone else will chime in. The first thing that comes to mind is a rear air bag setup but I would guess that could get expensive. Good luck!
06-08 chrome clads w/33" Cooper Discoverer H/T Plus, Mopar tailgate spoiler, debadged door trim & tailgate emblems, 13" antenna, LED dome & maps, Magnaflow 22" SI/DO, 18% tint, "HEMI" hood spears, VHT tinted tails & third brake light, Lamin-x optic blue fogs, leveled w/McGaughys 2" drop shackles.
Old 07-19-2012, 09:55 AM

Default Thanks.....

Thanks for the help h2oman, and starquestbd22. I am talking about the nose high. I have found the bilstein 5100s on autoanything for the front. Is it the same bilstein 5100 for the rear as well or is there a different model I should look into? I have a 2011 1500 crew cab 4x4. This is a mod I will be doing soon. As well as putting the shocks on I'm thinking about getting the Timbren bumpstops. Just to add a little extra support. I won't be towing anything heavy. I plan on getting a utility trailer later on but by no means a car hauler. I have been looking around the forum as well and seen some writeups on the airbag systems. I'm not looking for that much support. Again Thanks for the input guys.
Old 07-19-2012, 11:59 AM

starquestbd22 is a jewel in the roughstarquestbd22 is a jewel in the roughstarquestbd22 is a jewel in the roughstarquestbd22 is a jewel in the rough

Yes, they do make Bilstein 5100s for the rear but it is a different shock. It is more of a stock replacment...it doesn't provide any lift or anything of that nature. I said the 5100 for the rear might not droop as much under load as the stock shocks simply because they seem to be a tad stiffer but they do not provide any other type of extra support over the stockers. That will have to be your call on replacing the rear stockers. I did on my 2006 because the stockers were 5-6 years old and had 70k miles on them. Chances are you could get several more good miles out of the stockers on your 2011 model truck. Unless money is no object or you are completely unhappy with the stockers, it might be better to do the front 5100s and explore other options for the rear. If you decided to do them later you could replace the rears yourself in your driveway. They are much simpler than replacing the fronts.
06-08 chrome clads w/33" Cooper Discoverer H/T Plus, Mopar tailgate spoiler, debadged door trim & tailgate emblems, 13" antenna, LED dome & maps, Magnaflow 22" SI/DO, 18% tint, "HEMI" hood spears, VHT tinted tails & third brake light, Lamin-x optic blue fogs, leveled w/McGaughys 2" drop shackles.
Old 07-19-2012, 12:48 PM

Its not the money is not an object. Im in the Army so Im by no means a millionaire. LOL. Anyways, I am thinking about putting the ones on in the rear so that it does add that extra stiffness. Between the 5100s on the rear and the assistance from the timbren bump stops I think it will be enough. Now I just have to find the best price fo 5100s front and rear and the timbren bump stops. Thanks again for the advice all.
Old 07-19-2012, 04:38 PM

That's cool. You can't go wrong with the Bilsteins. My truck was a third gen of course but I thought the Bilsteins gave it a really nice ride. They are so popular that the prices seem to be fairly consistent everywhere I have looked but you might luck up and catch a sale or promo somewhere. I bought all four of mine from a forumz member that bought them and needed some money before install so I got a pretty good deal. Good luck!
Old 07-19-2012, 08:28 PM

Thanks that sounds like a good deal.