DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram - Complete Builds

Notices

Custom Dodge Ram - Complete Builds When you are modding everything on your Dodge Ram, this is the place to showcase the build.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 07-31-2012, 12:39 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: sport
Color: Black
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:161
TimW has a spectacular aura aboutTimW has a spectacular aura about

Well, a couple of quick mods tonight, License Plate braket and Tow Hooks, the license plate mount I got off of RansRam thread I think, to be honest can't remember where I saw it,

First the necessary Tools, its hard to see in the pic, but the mountains are blue

I started with a license plate holder from a 2010 Ford Escape

The first thing you do is cut off the two rabbit ears, all you need to do is score it with the knife and then break them off

Now you have to match the shape of the bumper to the holder, for that a piece of cardboard works well, and I might add this is probably the most time consuming part of the job

After you are happy, then you mark the bracket and start trimming, I found the snips worked best, and there isn't a lot of trimming needed. Not necessarily required, but I keep all my rubber bits from old flares and other accessories, so I used some rubber channel from an old set of bushwacker flares, and this gave the piece a more finished look, not to mention the protection from the hard plastic rubbing on the paint

All thats left now is to install, and the fit was perfect, whoops, how did that R/T get in there

The little ripple at the top was quickly dispatched by the heat gun

Last edited by TimW; 07-31-2012 at 12:41 AM.
Sponsored links
Old 07-31-2012, 12:59 AM
Bully's Performance

Vehicle: '15 Ram 1500 EcoD (ordered)
Trim Level: Longhorn: CC, 6'4"
Color: Granite Crystal
Rep:1787
fastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant future

Wow!
Wanna task yourself to make another one
I know someone who wants one.

100% Guaranteed to work or we will replace it for free!
Old 07-31-2012, 01:16 AM

Vehicle: N/A
Rep:1045
double0ram has much to be proud ofdouble0ram has much to be proud ofdouble0ram has much to be proud ofdouble0ram has much to be proud ofdouble0ram has much to be proud ofdouble0ram has much to be proud ofdouble0ram has much to be proud ofdouble0ram has much to be proud of

WOW that's a lot better than my fabbing of mine, consisted of swapping it off my second Gen to my 3g bumper. not quite a perfect fit but hey it works.

good job man! that trim finished it off PERFECT.
Old 07-31-2012, 01:42 AM

Next I tackled the tow hooks

The first thing I had to was jack up the front end of the truck, don't know what happened, I used to be able to fit under the bumper, the garage floor must have heaved or something in the area I was trying to squeeze under, the other thing I discovered is I need an orthopedic creeper, kept getting bloody back spasms while I was laying on it. Now this is not BS, but getting the bloody lower valance out took longer than installing the hooks.

It's hard to see but I'm sure the heave in the floor is on either side of the jack where I have to get in, whoops, theres that darn R/T again

Next you have to get the lower valance out, clips, 4 top, 4 bottom, and 1 on each end, took about 10 minutes but got them out, this is about the time I thought hmm time for a Chiropracter appointment, then I said the hell with it and came flying out from under the truck so I could walk the back spasms off.

Next you need to undo the 2 lower nuts holding the bumper to the frame, 18 mm socket

You will also be installing a bolt onto a vertical post attached to the frame

all thats left to do is slip the hooks into place and do up the nuts and bolt, the hooks are designed to be installed with the opening towards the center of the truck, there are allignment pins on the hooks and a matching hole on the mounting surface

finnally you need to make the cut outs in the valance

Then slip it over the hooks and snap it in place

Whoops, there's that darn R/T again

Well thats all I've got, not the best directions but I hope they help, License plate bracket took 45 minutes, and the tow hooks took less than an hour. All you skinny guys, check your garage floor to make sure it didn't heave in the winter like mine must have
Old 07-31-2012, 01:48 AM
Bully's Performance

fastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant future

Another great mod!
Keep EM coming....
Imagine if you installed those hooks the wrong way?
What a pita that would be.

If I don't install my body lift, I'll be doing this for sure.
Old 07-31-2012, 02:01 AM

They where both easy mods, I also picked up the cabin air filter, but had to order the door, I also ordered my wheels, I built a template out of wood to check the wheel openings and so far it looks like 37's will go, my buddy ordered a set of 4, he is going to mount the two fronts so we can check for clearance, on the off chance it doesn't work he will send them back and we will go with 35's
Old 07-31-2012, 02:22 AM
Bully's Performance

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimW View Post
They where both easy mods, I also picked up the cabin air filter, but had to order the door, I also ordered my wheels, I built a template out of wood to check the wheel openings and so far it looks like 37's will go, my buddy ordered a set of 4, he is going to mount the two fronts so we can check for clearance, on the off chance it doesn't work he will send them back and we will go with 35's
If you can fit 37's on a level. You be the first and I will certainly give your reps twice
Old 07-31-2012, 03:16 AM

Vehicle: N/A
Rep:1045
double0ram has much to be proud ofdouble0ram has much to be proud ofdouble0ram has much to be proud ofdouble0ram has much to be proud ofdouble0ram has much to be proud ofdouble0ram has much to be proud ofdouble0ram has much to be proud ofdouble0ram has much to be proud of

it's like that r/t badge has a mind of its own popping up in here whenever it wants!

nice hooks man!
Old 07-31-2012, 09:24 AM

I have to wonder if anyone has actually tried to stuff 37's in or if they are just going by what the lift companys and then therefore the dealer says will work, I know it was an 03, but my buddy had BFG 37x12.50x20's mud terrains on his daisys, all he had was a leveling kit. Personally I think the wheel openings on my 12 are bigger, add to that I'm moving the wheel out 31mm, or 1.2 inches. I know if I didn't have a buddy in the tire business I wouldn't be trying this, at 400 bucks a pop I would not be buying so I could try this, if I'm wrong, its back to tape measure school 101
Old 07-31-2012, 01:28 PM
Bully's Performance

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimW View Post
I have to wonder if anyone has actually tried to stuff 37's in or if they are just going by what the lift companys and then therefore the dealer says will work, I know it was an 03, but my buddy had BFG 37x12.50x20's mud terrains on his daisys, all he had was a leveling kit. Personally I think the wheel openings on my 12 are bigger, add to that I'm moving the wheel out 31mm, or 1.2 inches. I know if I didn't have a buddy in the tire business I wouldn't be trying this, at 400 bucks a pop I would not be buying so I could try this, if I'm wrong, its back to tape measure school 101
It certainly helps having a buddy in the industry.... Im jealous