DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > 2012 Dodge Ram Forum

Notices

2012 Dodge Ram Forum For specific discussion of the 2012 Dodge Ram!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 07-30-2012, 10:16 PM
Bully's Performance

Vehicle: '15 Ram 1500 Longhorn EcoD
Trim Level: CC, 6'4", 3.92, LSD
Color: Granite Crystal
Engine: 2014-20?? 182.3ci (3.0L) L630DOHC V6 240hp 420lb/ft Eco-Diesel
Rep:1787
fastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikenut View Post
This is #1 of my top 4 reason for buying a RAM.

#1 Lifetime warranty
#2 Most powerful gasser
#3 Mega Cab!
#4 BEST looking truck on the market inside and out
Cant complain with that list
100% Guaranteed to work or we will replace it for free!
Sponsored links
Old 07-30-2012, 10:59 PM
Banned

Vehicle: 2012 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Lone Star
Color: Black
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:34
Jchaney579 is on a distinguished road

Words of a buddy that I know.

He owns a 2012 Ram 1500 Express RCSB. He took the front air dam off because "It looks silly and made it look way to low in the front" Then took it down to Bauytown speedway for a couple hot laps to get a basis of what he was running bone stock before he started modding.

I catch him the next day and ask him what happened and how it went. Noticed he was in the middle of putting the air dam back on. In his words "Hitting 80+MPH WOT my truck was practicing skiing across the track from the air getting trapped under the truck. That and the rear end squatting down was making it worse. I did not even know if I was going to be able to keep it on the track. Almost like it was about to lift off the ground and I was going to do a back flip" Sad thing was he was only dramatizing that BY A LITTLE BIT. These trucks sit higher than most other trucks with from other companies who have the exact same air damn. Deal with it or lift it, IMO keep it though as the entire truck was created aerodynamically the way it was for a purpose. May not seem like a big change, but removing an ENTIRE peace of body molding to make it ride higher is a big change when you think about Formula one car teams who talk about changing the pitch in the rear wing by .05ths of an inch...
Old 07-31-2012, 01:09 AM
Bully's Performance

fastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jchaney579 View Post
Words of a buddy that I know.

He owns a 2012 Ram 1500 Express RCSB. He took the front air dam off because "It looks silly and made it look way to low in the front" Then took it down to Bauytown speedway for a couple hot laps to get a basis of what he was running bone stock before he started modding.

I catch him the next day and ask him what happened and how it went. Noticed he was in the middle of putting the air dam back on. In his words "Hitting 80+MPH WOT my truck was practicing skiing across the track from the air getting trapped under the truck. That and the rear end squatting down was making it worse. I did not even know if I was going to be able to keep it on the track. Almost like it was about to lift off the ground and I was going to do a back flip" Sad thing was he was only dramatizing that BY A LITTLE BIT. These trucks sit higher than most other trucks with from other companies who have the exact same air damn. Deal with it or lift it, IMO keep it though as the entire truck was created aerodynamically the way it was for a purpose. May not seem like a big change, but removing an ENTIRE peace of body molding to make it ride higher is a big change when you think about Formula one car teams who talk about changing the pitch in the rear wing by .05ths of an inch...
Great feedback on this topic
Old 07-31-2012, 01:31 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastNugly View Post
Great feedback on this topic
I should have added that it was a smaller and lighter truck, being a CC or a QC truck it might be different and the extra weight might help hold it down, but I could only imagine even being heavier there will be some drastic changes in air getting caught underneath the truck.
Old 07-31-2012, 01:32 AM
Bully's Performance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jchaney579 View Post
I should have added that it was a smaller and lighter truck, being a CC or a QC truck it might be different and the extra weight might help hold it down, but I could only imagine even being heavier there will be some drastic changes in air getting caught underneath the truck.
Meh, Im just gonna lift
Old 07-31-2012, 01:36 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2005 dodge RAM
Trim Level: 1500
Color: blue
Engine: 2002-2007 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 235hp 295lb/ft
Rep:10
11cwilson is on a distinguished road

If your truck is a four wheel drive then just adjust your torsion bars/keys
Old 07-31-2012, 01:43 AM
Bully's Performance

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11cwilson View Post
If your truck is a four wheel drive then just adjust your torsion bars/keys
Thought this didn't apply to 4th gens
Old 07-31-2012, 01:52 AM
Banned

Quote:
Meh, Im just gonna lift
Well lifting does change the way the air flows, but keeping the air defuser on the bottom helps get the air out and keeps it aimed in a certain direction which is slightly lower than all your components tucked under your truck. This is whether or not you have a lifted OR lowered truck. Removing the defuser will cause air to not be aimed/directed and get caught on all the said components and cause drag etc. Which can also cause lift pretty badly...
Old 07-31-2012, 08:10 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2013 1500 Quad Cab
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Black on Black
Rep:47
gusman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Thought this didn't apply to 4th gens
I think the only dodges to have torsion bars were dakotas? Didnt 2nd gen have solid fronts and 3rd gen go to struts?
Old 07-31-2012, 08:55 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram 1500 Big Horn
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Silver
Rep:25
shadango is on a distinguished road

LOL

All the him-hawwing about the air damn is just goofy IMHO.

Do it and try it or don't and move on.

How many here care about how their 4x4 truck (on stock tires) handles on a race track?

This isnt a formula 1 car where we are trying to pickup an extra 10th, its a 4x4 pickup truck for cripes sakes. It ALREADY handles squirly on the highway at 80+ mph......what do you expect? Its a high height, high profile vehicle with marginal tires and squishy suspension. How many race cars match THAT description?

These particular air dams are not for handling purposes.....go under there and move it around and you will see how flimsy it is. It is there simply for aerodynamics to improve on the drag enough to add .1 mpg onto the gas mileage and to (in someone's eyes) smooth out the front end for aesthetics, like on a minivan.

REAL air dams made for handling purposes are MUCH lower, hug the ground, are much more rigid and prevent air from getting under the vehicle. This air dam is simply to SMOOTH the air out somewhat lower drag.......the truck STILL (with the dam) sits high and will get plenty of air under it, and that is at STOCK height and rake. Not to mention that we change the aerodynamics ourselves when we add lifts, light bars, bully bars, side steps, etc etc etc.

Consider that if you lift the truck "properly" , you drop the suspension......thereby creating drag etc etc under the truck that wasn't there anyways with the suspension parts now being "exposed" below the horizon of the undercarriage...all those bits poking down affect drag. So lifting the truck will likely cause the same "issues" as removing the front plastic.

Next, consider that the front bumper ALREADY extends very low compared to truck bumpers of old. (Too low IMHO). The approach angle on this truck with this bumper and the air dam isnt much better than a crossover SUV. But the lower bumper helps with silencing the safety whiners and improve aerodynamics slightly. In the old days, you had a bumper that was maybe 6 inches high and that was it.....the front end was open and lots of space below it. How did we survive without plastic doohickeys hanging from the front ends back then I wonder? Those trucks could do 80 and be just fine, and that was with older technology tires and crappy suspensions.

Finally, on a 4x4 truck that is going to see off-road, ramming the plastic against rocks or snow-plowing sand, snow and dirt does way more to lower the efficiency of forward motion and add resistance than REMOVING it will.

Ok, so the other options:

1- Cranking up t-bars on a vehicle that has them is easy....but affects alignment and possibly warranty. Will only buy you an inch or two tops and will stiffen ride. Been there done that.

2- Adding a leveling kit will leave the ride alone since it in effect drops the front suspension and raises the front end only, but will affect alignment and affect warranty unless you have a dealer that will work with you. And its extra $$. Plus, the rear will now droop when you tow. Adding air bags will fix that, but of course more $$$.

3- A real suspension lift is cool and is what I would love to do, but is $$, will likely affect warranty coverage, unless you have a dealer who will work with you (get it in writing). Add to that the wear and tear of extra large tires on the whole system not to mention their cost and having no spare.

Finally, 1-3 , if done to a lease vehicle, which many of us have, have to be reversed if/when you return the vehicle. 1 is easy, 2 and 3 not so much.

Look -- Everything we do to our vehicles is a trade off compared to the stock design. That is how it goes.

I am willing to give up a minsicule amount of MPG for the ability to go through sand ruts on the beach without bashing the cheesy air damn off the sand constantly.

I am willing to bet that the affect that this air diverter has on handling at speed is the same as one of those cheesy air-wings that the kids add to their souped up 4 door rice burners.....not much if any in practical situations. In the air tunnel? Maybe.

But hey.....Its a free "mod", can be done in 15 minutes and makes the truck look better (IMHO).

If I find that the truck is out of control on the highway at 80 mph, I can easily put the air dam back on in 15 minutes.

I have a feeling though, the air dam will be residing in my shed for a long time.

But....To each his own....and YMMV.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG-20120730-00093.jpg (128.3 KB, 102 views)
File Type: jpg IMG-20120730-00096.jpg (135.9 KB, 89 views)
File Type: jpg IMG-20120730-00094.jpg (132.8 KB, 94 views)