DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 2ND Generation Dodge Ram 1994 to 2001 Dodge Ram Trucks > Powertrain > 5.9L V8 Specific Topics

Notices

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 07-25-2012, 02:00 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2001 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine: 1998-2001 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 245hp(standard), 250hp(Sport package)
Rep:10
PatrickHenry is on a distinguished road
Default 2001 Ram 2500 Idling Issue

Hi folks, new to the forum! I'm having a strange issue with my 5.9L gas burner truck. The CEL light has been on since I got the truck. EVAP codes, I replaced all the hoses that I found split which was pretty much all of them. I also replaced the gas cap when I was told that it could cause that problem. I would erase the code with my scanner and it would always come back on at some point. I finally just gave up on it since it seemed to be running just fine. One day, I hit the lottery and was able to afford to fill it all the way up. I started smelling gas real strong and looked under the truck and sure enough it was leaking.

Upon further inspection, I found that there's a plastic 90 degree fitting that a smaller hose hooks to that goes to the filler neck. So, there's the large filler hose and this smaller hose that branches off and goes to this fitting. That's where it's leaking, where that fitting screws into the fuel tank. I did the back brakes a while back and decided I was going to try and fix it. I pulled the hose off and tried to get the fitting out of the tank. It looks to me like it's cross threaded in the tank.

I put quite a bit of pressure on it with a pair of channel lock pliers and it didn't want to budge. I was afraid it would break since it's plastic. So I decided that I needed to wait until I was going to have the fuel tank down to actually fix it. I've been told that any leaks in the fuel system can cause these codes. As I said, it wasn't hurting the truck performance wise so I decided to leave it until I was going to replace the fuel pump or something requiring the tank to be removed.

Well this morning, I started it up to move a generator I've been working on. It started and ran fine, I backed it up to this gen set and turned it off to get it hooked up. It didn't want to start back up. I finally put my foot on the gas and it started but wouldn't idle. I went ahead and moved this gen set all the while having to hold my foot on the gas to keep it running. I unhooked and pulled it into my shop, it still wouldn't idle.

What seemed strange to me was that the CEL was off. So I got my code scanner out and plugged it in, no codes. That's what has me perplexed. I finally disconnected the negative cable and waited a few minutes. Then I reconnected it and the truck started and idled just fine. I drove it into town and ran several errands and it did fine. I'm wondering if it's some kind of default with this fault code. Does anyone here have any ideas?
Sponsored links
Old 07-26-2012, 01:16 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2001 1500/1982 D150
Trim Level: Base
Color: White
Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
Rep:21
ramfam is on a distinguished road

? Maybe the purdge silonid got stuck. Or computer just whent duhh.
Old 07-26-2012, 02:25 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Well, it's very strange, after I posted yesterday, I went out and started it and kept my foot on the pedal to keep it running. After it got to operating temp. I let my foot off and it stayed running. I could rev it up to about 2500 or 3000 rpm and let off and it would stumble but would pick back up. So I decided to pull the cold air intake that I bought off of it and take a look. The darned filter element just fell right off. So I guess it's been sucking air past the filter for who knows how long. The throttle body was pretty nasty, so I cleaned it as best I could with carb cleaner.

I've driven it this morning and it seems to be doing fine. I still don't have an explanation for the CEL light going off without me erasing the codes that were there. I started thinking that maybe it could've been the TPS. But I hooked my scanner up to it and was able to watch it work under the live data section. At idle, it shows around 12.5 percent and at full throttle, it shows around 66 percent. I have no idea if that's normal or not, but it seems to be running okay at the moment. I'll drive it for a couple of days and see how it does and report back. Thanks for the reply ramfam!
Old 07-26-2012, 02:34 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

I forgot to mention that I have a dealer service manual that someone sent to me. I thought I'd share it with all of you, it has a lot more info than my haynes manual. I can't post it here because it's too big of a file. Anyone interested in it can just PM me with an email address and I'll send it to you.
Old 07-26-2012, 07:32 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2001 1500/1982 D150
Trim Level: Base
Color: White
Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
Rep:21
ramfam is on a distinguished road

So it was prob just dirty. I know with some gm's they don't sugest k&n oil bath filters cause they clog mass air sensor. But I will have one on my 01 soon enough! Well glad you might have it.
Old 07-26-2012, 07:45 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramfam View Post
So it was prob just dirty. I know with some gm's they don't sugest k&n oil bath filters cause they clog mass air sensor. But I will have one on my 01 soon enough! Well glad you might have it.
Actually, I got this one off of ebay and the guy I got it from said not to put the oil on it. He told me to wash it just like the K&N, but don't oil it. I'm going to drive it a while and take it off again to inspect it. If it's as dirty as it was yesterday, I'll go back with stock. The one that was on it when I got it was broke, at least all of the tabs were. That's why I ordered the one that's on it now. I had a friend that gave me a stock one that's pretty much intact. I just thought that the cold air intake was better, and it probably is as long as it fits right.
Old 07-26-2012, 07:56 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500 Crew Cab 4x4
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Mineral Gray Metallic
Engine: 2013-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 395hp 410lb/ft
Rep:2008
Arth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond repute

The idling issue is defiantly caused by that dirty throttle body. My 03 suburban had a cold air intake on it for a while and then one day I pretty much had the same symptoms as you. It wouldn't idle unless you kept your foot on the gas all the time. So I pull off that air intake and low and behold its dirty in there. It was causing the idler control valve to stick so the truck wouldn't idle. Cleaned it up just like you did and stuck the factory air intake system back on it and that took care of that issue.

Chrome... in moderation.
Old 07-26-2012, 08:08 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arth View Post
The idling issue is defiantly caused by that dirty throttle body. My 03 suburban had a cold air intake on it for a while and then one day I pretty much had the same symptoms as you. It wouldn't idle unless you kept your foot on the gas all the time. So I pull off that air intake and low and behold its dirty in there. It was causing the idler control valve to stick so the truck wouldn't idle. Cleaned it up just like you did and stuck the factory air intake system back on it and that took care of that issue.
Thanks Arth, I hope that's all it was. Like I said though, it's baffled me about the CEL light with the EVAP codes aren't there anymore. That's the one that has me scratching my head. We'll just see how it does and if it acts up again, I'll post about it.