DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.7 HEMI V8

Notices

Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.7 HEMI V8 Discuss modifying your Dodge Ram with Performance Parts and Accessories!
Factory Spec: 5.7-liter HEMI® V8 engine - 390 horsepower, 407 lb-ft of torque.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 07-26-2012, 01:17 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2014 5.7 Ram 1500 RCSB/2WD
Trim Level: ST
Color: White
Engine: 2013-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 395hp 410lb/ft
Rep:43
WarBaby is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firehawk View Post
Thanks for this post OP, your Mineral Grey Metallic Ram further inspires me to step up and start doing some performance upgrades on my Ram. Did you go with the Mcgaughey spindle kit or the 2/4 drop with new shocks?
You are welcome. Mine is McGaughy's 2/4" "econo" drop without spindles using factory shocks.

Old 07-26-2012, 01:43 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Express RCSB/2WD
Color: Mineral Gray Metallic
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:11
Firehawk is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to Firehawk

Also, do you mind explaining how the day-to-day drivability was impacted by the torque converter upgrade? Does you engine spin up much more to get off the line during stop and go driving? I know the gains are huge for 0-60 times, but I've also heard that sometimes these higher RPM torque converter upgrades make you lose top end performance and acceleration on the highway (say 70mph+).. What do you think?

RacingTorqueConverterTheory.pdf - http://www.ustperformance.com/docume...rterTheory.pdf

Is this the model torque converter you have installed?

Dodge 258mm Pro II 545RFE Torque Converter - http://www.circledspecialties.com/p-...converter.aspx

*EDIT* Thanks, you have this one: Dodge 11" HP-I 545RFE Torque Converter - http://www.circledspecialties.com/p-68-dodge-11-hp-i-545rfe-torque-converter.aspx

Last edited by Firehawk; 07-26-2012 at 11:47 AM.
Old 07-26-2012, 02:55 AM

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Ram Sport
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Black
Engine: 2009-???? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:111
TheBlackHemi will become famous soon enoughTheBlackHemi will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Also, do you mind explaining how the day-to-day drivability was impacted by the torque converter upgrade? Does you engine spin up much more to get off the line during stop and go driving? I know the gains are huge for 0-60 times, but I've also heard that sometimes these higher RPM torque converter upgrades make you lose top end performance and acceleration on the highway (say 70mph+).. What do you think?

RacingTorqueConverterTheory.pdf - http://www.ustperformance.com/docume...rterTheory.pdf

Dodge 258mm Pro II 545RFE Torque Converter - http://www.circledspecialties.com/p-...converter.aspx
I can tell you from my experience that yes you rpms do rev up higher than stock but it's not how you would think.....it's not gonna get up to 2800-3000 before you start moving like some people probably think. It will just feel a tad bit loose/easier to spool up but yeah when you launch off the line it will instantly spool the stall speed of the TC. There's so much torque management built down low and with a higher stall TC it helps out/feels so much better off the line. BTW his circle d TC isn't the 258mm Pro II, I wanna say its the base model....Here's what the 258mm Pro II TC looks like.

Old 07-26-2012, 07:50 AM

Vehicle: sold* 10' R/T... 13' R/T
Trim Level: R/T
Color: black
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:142
autobred will become famous soon enoughautobred will become famous soon enough

in a cool November Sunday morning, 102 octane/full tilt race tune and a pair of drag slicks.. IMHO This truck has the potential to be the first gen 4 n/a stock block to hit 13 flat. You sir have created a super awesome bolt on build, hope you get out there and prove me right.
Old 07-26-2012, 10:15 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Quote:

I couldn't describe it much better than TheBlackHemi did above. I have not felt any loss of performance at any speed/RPM but I have not been past about 80 yet since recently completing these mods. It is completely "driveable"--even fairly small throttle openings seem to produce disproportionately large acceleration gains. I pretty much allowed Chris at Circle-D to decide which TC I should get for my objectives and truck specs, and he suggested that a higher-grade TC might be overkill for my purposes which are street and drag. The high-stall TC is so impressive to me that I will never own another automatic without one! I have this one: http://www.circledspecialties.com/p-...converter.aspx

Last edited by WarBaby; 07-26-2012 at 10:45 AM.
Old 07-26-2012, 10:29 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by autobred View Post
in a cool November Sunday morning, 102 octane/full tilt race tune and a pair of drag slicks.. IMHO This truck has the potential to be the first gen 4 n/a stock block to hit 13 flat. You sir have created a super awesome bolt on build, hope you get out there and prove me right.
Your generous comments made my day because...you nailed my objective. I salute your keen insight. I might not get there, even under ideal conditions, but it's a worthy goal, tons of fun trying, and it beats crying in my beer over past girlfriends. If I don't make it to a 12.99--NA with a stock block, it should still be a quick, nimble hot rod for messing with the local talent `cause they just don't expect an old fart in a truck to smoke their butts!

Last edited by WarBaby; 07-26-2012 at 10:46 AM.
Old 07-26-2012, 10:54 AM

Vehicle: 2005 Dodge Ram 1500 RC Daytona
Color: Silver
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:33
JimmyTheKid is on a distinguished road

What a beauty she is, only if I had the time and money to spend on mine. As for now, I shall enjoy the plethera of pictures on the Z !

2005 Dodge Ram 1500, Daytona, 4x4 RC
Mods: 25% tints, Smoked 3rd Light & Tail Lights, Black'd Out Accents, Black'd Out Grille, HID 8k Fog/Head Lights, K&N Intake System, Black'd Out Rims, Leveled, Diablo inTune
Old 07-26-2012, 11:32 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyTheKid View Post
What a beauty she is, only if I had the time and money to spend on mine. As for now, I shall enjoy the plethera of pictures on the Z !
Wow, much appreciation to you.
Old 07-26-2012, 01:26 PM

Vehicle: 2009 Ram 2500 Megacab
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Red
Engine: 2007-2011 409ci (6.7L) Cummins Turbo Diesel 350hp 650lb/ft
Rep:167
jpaul51 has a spectacular aura aboutjpaul51 has a spectacular aura about

Those are awesome mods to a great looking truck! How much did it run to change out the torque converter? Just cost without parts. I really want to put one in mine....
2007 Ram 1500 QC - SOLD and bought a 2009 4x4 Megacab 2500 with 6.7 Cummins. Full Sinister EGR/Throttle Valve/dpf deletes, 4" Turbo back exhaust, Banks cold air intake, EFI Live tuning by Anarchy Diesel running 100hp Street tune. Peragon bed cover.
Old 07-26-2012, 01:37 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpaul51 View Post
Those are awesome mods to a great looking truck! How much did it run to change out the torque converter? Just cost without parts. I really want to put one in mine....
Muchas gracias! I paid a local transmission shop slightly over $300 for installation.