DODGE RAM FORUM banner

engine swap ?'s

4K views 20 replies 4 participants last post by  snrusnak 
#1 ·
im only familiar with the late 80's-90-s turbo Dodges. we have a couple vendors that can flash our ECU's for custom cals. whatever our mods our, they can set it up custom for us.

as an example, say the cal is from a 2.5L and my car is a 2.2L. they can flash it with whatever cal we want and it will work so we can change computers if we needed to as long as its from that year. so my question is, can i swap in a 5.7L HEMI and still use my stock engine harness and computer? can it be flashed for that setup without the hassle of changing out everything. my plan is to get the HEMI and get the 6.4L HEMI stroker kit and stick it in my 4.7L truck. thanks guys

#4 ·
Really if you want a hemi it's best to sell your truck and buy a hemi truck.

I think I'm going to build long tubes for my 4.7 and maybe eventually turbo charge it. Not much else out there(as far as cams, etc). It'll be probably 450+ hp which is better than a hemi but will also be more expensive($3-5k). But to me it's fun and I like my truck and a turbo 4.7 will get better mpg than a hemi.

#5 ·
well, if its not hard to pump out around 450 HP or more than ill stick with the 4.7. i dont have any issues with it other than a little start up lifter tick which isnt even an issue. i just want it faster. the HP is 10 HP more than my 4 banger LOL i would have thought for a V8 it would be more. turbo is def. where i want to go no matter what engine. i was thinking of getting headers too but i wanna be sure what motor is staying in there first

#6 ·
Yeah to get any real hp out of the older 4.7 you have to do a lot of work(heads,cams, etc) just to get 350-400hp. With turbo 400+ should be fairly easy.

The new 4.7 has a lot more hp stock, so it's easier to get to 450/500hp. Turbo'd it should hit 450 hp pretty easy (6-8psi). Still though I haven't seen any turbo 4.7. The bad thing about the new 4.7 is there's basically no aftermarket support.

Keep in mind all these engine's were designed to be truck engines. The older 4.7 may only have 235hp and isn't real fast but it has nearly 300lb ft of torque which is more than adequate for a light duty truck. And the newer 4.7 at 310hp/330lb ft is pretty impressive for a small v8.

#15 ·
Are you thinking 450+ at the crank or at the wheels? My 5.7 put 488 at 9psi to the wheels. My 6.1 will most likely be around 600 at 13 psi :)

#7 ·
true. im just used to my turbo 4 bangers. my RT is 224HP stock and my buddy has a holset on his that runs 35 PSI and over 500 HP. first thing i think of is V8 should be high HP. it seems theres really nothing for our 4.7's, old or new which sucks. im happy with it but we all want more if it can be obtained. ive googled it and have found a few turbo 4.7's. with the right compression it can happen but i havent dug around to see if i can get 8.5 to 1 pistons for the 4.7. id really like to run more along the lines of 12+ PSI

#8 ·
That's a lot of work and money. You could safely/reliably run 6-8psi on a stock 4.7 with no real mods other than what is required to mount up a turbo, injectors, etc. for a few thousand dollars and gain 150hp. At that rate you would get good mpg also.

To run that much boost you'd have to do internal engine work and spend some money, just not really worth it.

#9 · (Edited)
eh. i like to go crazy LOL im gonna dump around 8 grand into my IROC so i have no problem doing it to the truck. mod bug always bites me hard. with the mileage on my truck anyway, id wanna rebuild it so ill look for another 4.7L and tear it down, rebuild it and play. if its custom work anyway, i can get a holset for 300 bucks thats ready to run and just go from there. fresh rebuilt motor with a holset shouldnt run me too bad. ill want better cams and shit too anyway so it will be a project i can start when i find a motor and save some cash

just found this.

from.airram.com

If your building your 4.7L and plan to add boost or even Nitrous we have the set up for you.

We currently offer Forged Cranks, SCAT H-Beam Rods & Ross Pistons all for your 4.7L engine.
Here is a direct link to our 4.7L Performance section!

4.7L DODGE/JEEP - FORGED ROSS PISTONS
LOCATOR ID: 1023
BRAND: ROSS
PART #47ROSS

Price:
$750.00
FREE SHIPPING!

4.7L - FORGED CRANKSHAFT -
LOCATOR ID: 1290
BRAND: AIR RAM PERFORMANCE

Price:
$669.00
FREE SHIPPING!

1999-2007 4.7L - PERFORMANCE HEAD GASKETS - COMETIC - (EACH)
LOCATOR ID: 1401
BRAND: COMETIC
PART #C5213-X3X EA

Price:
$99.00
FREE SHIPPING!

4.7L SCAT H-BEAM RODS - 4340 FORGED - ARP2000 BOLTS
LOCATOR ID: 1313
BRAND: SCAT
PART #2-287-6125-2007-A2000

Price:
$895.00

4.7L SCAT H-BEAM RODS - 4340 FORGED - ARP8740 BOLTS
LOCATOR ID: 1051
BRAND: SCAT
PART #2-287-6125-2007-8740

Price:
$795.00
FREE SHIPPING!

#10 ·
Yeah airram has what you'd need. It's expensive though. You're talking thousands of dollars to build an engine that can handle the boost. Then you still have to spend the thousands to boost it lol. I like the 4.7L but if I were to be looking for 500+hp I'd look at other options that or supported better. Personally, I wouldn't touch the bottom end of the 4.7L, it's good for up to about 500 hp and if you want more than that you're asking a lot of a 287 cid engine.

#11 · (Edited)
nah, even 400 is fine for me. they have a lot of good stuff on their site. supercharger stuff too but id rather go turbo. my total was around 2500 for that stuff, not including the ARP's. im thinkin for 5 grand i could have a built 4.7 and the turbo. use turbo Dodge guys know how to get it done cheap and reliable LOL. for power, ill just build my RT up. theres a guy whos pushing 600 on his. the other guy beat a viper with his holset powered RT. its on youtube for anyone thinking a 4 banger cant beat a viper :)

new total is 3715.39 without the tubo stuff or motor and machining. to me, not bad at all. gonna be less than my RT build, but then again its not including all the valve train, porting and whatever else im not thinking of. still not bad to me

#13 ·
I have an 01 Durango with a 4.7l and 200000 miles and its getting tired. I'd like to swap in the 300 hp version. How much headache am I asking for? I plan to use a low mileage unit from a wrecking yard, what do I need to get with the engine. Can someone please give a summary of what I need to know to make the swap? Thanks in advance.

#14 ·
CTFolmar, I haven't done the swap so am not 100% sure but just know that there may be more involved than you are thinking. The newer 2008+ 4.7L has two spark plugs per cylinder, electronic throttle body, and other differences(heads, manifolds, cams, etc) as compared to the 2007 and older 4.7L. It will bolt right in to to the frame/transmission, but your biggest obstacle will likely be the pcm, wiring harness(s), and sensors.

#16 ·
Are you thinking 450+ at the crank or at the wheels? My 5.7 put 488 at 9psi to the wheels. My 6.1 will most likely be around 600 at 13 psi
Hey karateman, yes I was talking about at the engine. Surely it's possible at the wheels but would probably require a lot more work and money.

So if you're at 488rwhp that's probably about 550+hp at the engine, right?

#17 ·
Yeah it depends on the drivetrain loss... I've read any where from 21%-29%.

Heck if it is 29% I'm at 630+ at the crank.

At 21% I'm at 590 at the crank.

#18 ·
Most new hemi trucks Dyno at around 300-310rwhp. So that would be around the 29% dt loss.

#19 ·
Yeah well 300hp/390hp would be a ~23% loss. But keep in mind it's not really a percentage loss, you don't lose more power just because you make more power.

That example above with the hemi is a 90hp loss. It's probably the same in your truck(depending on what you've changed in your drivetrain such as transmission modifications and TC). Just assuming it's still 90hp loss, the percent changes.

Say my 4.7L makes 350hp as is. Stock was 310hp. Say I didn't change my TC and the drivetrain is 100% stock. I don't lose more power to the wheels just because I make more power. So if a stock 4.7L dynos 220rwhp and mine makes 260rwhp, both only lose 90hp to the wheels. That's ~29% for the stock 4.7L and ~26% for mine.

Just wanted to clarify that going by a set percentage for drivetrain loss isn't really accurate. Basically any 4.7L or hemi with similar drivetrain loses ~100hp, unless maybe you start getting into really high hp numbers with FI and aftermarket transmissions....I'm not sure if it'd be more or less then. I'd think a better transmission would mean less loss.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.