DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.9 Liter V8

Notices

Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.9 Liter V8 Discuss modifying your Dodge Ram with Performance Parts and Accessories!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 07-30-2012, 08:17 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 1996 dodge ram
Trim Level: slt
Color: green
Engine: 1994-1997 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 230hp
Rep:10
zachcroft is on a distinguished road
Default super charger or turbo?

i have been toying with the idea of putting a super charger or a turbo on my 5.9. wich is better? if the performance worth the cost? what do you think?
Sponsored links
Old 07-31-2012, 12:44 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 1998.5 Dodge 2500HD 4x4
Trim Level: SLT Laramie
Color: Black
Engine: 1998-1998 359ci (5.9L) Cummins ISB 24-valve Diesel I6 235hp 420lb/ft (manual), 215hp 420lb/ft(auto)
Rep:57
ArtNJr will become famous soon enough

Since nobody makes a "bolt-on" setup for that engine it'd be expensive either way you went, but for that engine I'd choose a supercharger over a turbocharger for several reasons. My diesel truck is turbocharged, but Cummins engines are designed from the drawing board with a turbo & that's a whole different ballgame from a unit that's added to an engine that wasn't originally designed to be "blown".

And there are two types of superchargers you could use -- the centrifugal Procharger makes, which is basically a belt-driven turbo, or the "Roots" type like the Eaton Ford uses on some of its engines & Edlebrock offers for certain engines (like the Hemi). Both can be set up with a relatively low "boost" pressure so you can use stock engine parts without blowing anything apart, although if your stock compression ratio is over 9.5:1 you'd want different pistons to lower it. Fun project, but time-consuming and expensive.
Old 07-31-2012, 09:41 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Thanks...i know its a little on the wild side. i have also been looking into a bigger cam, with matching lifters and the whole deal. i do a lot of towing on the side and im really looking for low end power,not so much a hot-rod. Most of the time im pulling a mid-size bob cat so im also leaning towards 4:56 gears or 4:11's. do you think that the pro charger would help me much in the torque department. thanks again!
Old 07-31-2012, 09:52 PM

Vehicle: 1998 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: sport
Color: Intense Blue
Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
Rep:23
Dodge Boy13 is on a distinguished road

last time i looked into it a super charger kit ran about 6k..idk if thats right or not but surely insane!
Old 08-01-2012, 12:26 AM

Engine: 1998-1998 359ci (5.9L) Cummins ISB 24-valve Diesel I6 235hp 420lb/ft (manual), 215hp 420lb/ft(auto)

Quote:
Originally Posted by zachcroft View Post
Thanks...i know its a little on the wild side. i have also been looking into a bigger cam, with matching lifters and the whole deal. i do a lot of towing on the side and im really looking for low end power,not so much a hot-rod. Most of the time im pulling a mid-size bob cat so im also leaning towards 4:56 gears or 4:11's. do you think that the pro charger would help me much in the torque department. thanks again!
The majority of aftermarket cams are designed for mid-range & top-end power, not low-end torque, but you can get cams designed for that purpose if you focus on it only & Lunati is known for knowing what Mopar engines need for a given purpose.

Regarding the Procharger, you'd want to consider the highest rpm the engine will run, including the fact that the blower will raise peak HP by about 500 rpm & they'll help you pick the right pulley so the max boost hits @ the proper rpm -- boost increase is linear with rpm increase. In other words (general terms) if you had a max of 8 psi @ 5000 rpm you'd have about 2 psi @ 2000 rpm, so while you would not have max boost right away, you'd already have some just as you're getting going. The typical Roots type blower is setup to make 5 psi (all the time), which you'd have before you got to peak HP & should be in by peak torque. Towing you'd typically be looking @ 2500-4500 rpm & that range would be markedly improved over stock (55% - 60% intercooled) -- as long as you had a good free-flowing exhaust to make use of the additional airflow. Bad news is price -- intercooled system lists @ about $5600.
Old 08-01-2012, 12:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodge Boy13 View Post
last time i looked into it a super charger kit ran about 6k..idk if thats right or not but surely insane!
Depends on what you want to accomplish & how important that is. For example, I checked with Cummins to find out what changing the fuel system on my '98.5 truck would cost after the 1st VP44 injector pump failed, not knowing @ the time how serious the problem was & having been assured that those failures were rare (not true). Cummins said $4500 to change to the later common rail system & had I known then what I know now I would have made the change -- 1st injection pump failure was covered under warranty, but the next 2 were not & even though I've now got the best VP44 you can get (not available when the 1st & 2nd failures happened), I've spent that $4500 & then some.

I should never have to mess with it again, but if I'd have made the fuel system changeover way back when (much more expensive now) I wouldn't have had to go thru injector pump failures #2, #3 & all the related issues that go along with it. The was a sign on a shop wall I always liked -- "Why is there always enough time to do it over, but never enough time to do it right?" If the project is important enough, best to "bite the bullet" & pay the price to do it right the 1st time -- it can pay for itself in the long run.
Old 08-03-2012, 06:07 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

thanks for all the help! ill definitely keep ya updated on this project!