DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Chassis - Drive Line - Suspension - Wheels and Tires - LIFTING - Dodge Ram 4x4, 2x4
Register Advertising Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Custom Chassis - Drive Line - Suspension - Wheels and Tires - LIFTING - Dodge Ram 4x4, 2x4 Discuss anything related to Custom Dodge Ram Wheels, Tires, Brakes, Suspension Mods, Chassis Mods and Tuning, Towing options, Driveline, 4x4, Differentials, Sway Bars, Lifting Springs, Body Lifts, Strut Braces, etc.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 07-30-2012, 10:09 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member

Vehicle: 2004 Dodge Ram 1500 4X4
Trim Level: Sport quad cab
Color: Bright Silver Metallic
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:367
starquestbd22 is just really nicestarquestbd22 is just really nicestarquestbd22 is just really nicestarquestbd22 is just really nice
Default Cranked my torsion bars today....couple of quick questions

Well I finally did it today. Cranked my torsion bars to get the front end up a little. Went for a short drive afterward to test the ride quality and settle the suspension. I could tell it was a little firmer but doesn't seem to be a huge difference. Couple of quick questions.....

I went five rounds on each side and gained about 1-1/8". That sound about right for the number of turns?

Also, I noticed that the driver's side bolt appears to be tightened down further than the passenger side but the truck is within 1/8" of being level from side to side. Anyone know why this is?

I noticed that the steering seems to require a tad more effort....like it's a little heavier and more resistant to moving on it's own than before. I don't know much about suspensions. Could the crank have caused this somehow or am I just imagining it?

Lastly, I put it in 4 high briefly in a paved lot at low speeds just to see if it had any vibes on acceleration. I did not notice anything. I stopped perpendicular to the road and switched back to 2wd while stopped. The 4x4 light went out. When I pulled out and turned 90 deg left the front wheels were still pulling until I straightened out then it seemed to release. Is this normal? Was it because I switched it while stopped?

Thanks everyone!!
06-08 chrome clads w/33" Cooper Discoverer H/T Plus, Mopar tailgate spoiler, debadged door trim & tailgate emblems, 13" antenna, LED dome & maps, Magnaflow 22" SI/DO, 18% tint, "HEMI" hood spears, VHT tinted tails & third brake light, Lamin-x optic blue fogs, leveled w/McGaughys 2" drop shackles.

Last edited by starquestbd22; 07-30-2012 at 10:12 PM.
Sponsored links
Old 07-31-2012, 06:51 PM

Vehicle: 2004 dodge ram
Trim Level: slt
Color: silver
Rep:10
crazychevy88 is on a distinguished road

cranking the torsion bars up definately affects alot on your suspension, and probably did make you steering tighter because things are binding up at differant angle than they were. Your front tires will also wear out faster starting from the outer tread/sidewall. the 4x4 probably didn't fully release until the wheels were straight, I always try to back up a good 10 ft when I drive anything in 4x4, auto hubs or not. I would set the bars back to where they were and just save up the $150 for a leveling kit. Good luck!
Old 07-31-2012, 09:31 PM

starquestbd22 is just really nicestarquestbd22 is just really nicestarquestbd22 is just really nicestarquestbd22 is just really nice

I'm going to get the truck aligned if I decide to keep it like this. That should solve the tire wear issue. As for getting an actual leveling kit...the only kit that I am aware of for my truck is the torsion key type kit. My understanding is that it levels the truck by doing the same thing that the crank did. The only difference is that it retains the stock adjustability (as far as the position of the torsion key bolts) and if you buy forged keys they are probably stronger than the stockers. Plus, I don't know of any aftermarket keys that only lift one inch...I don't want it any higher than that.
06-08 chrome clads w/33" Cooper Discoverer H/T Plus, Mopar tailgate spoiler, debadged door trim & tailgate emblems, 13" antenna, LED dome & maps, Magnaflow 22" SI/DO, 18% tint, "HEMI" hood spears, VHT tinted tails & third brake light, Lamin-x optic blue fogs, leveled w/McGaughys 2" drop shackles.
Old 08-01-2012, 10:43 AM

Can anyone that has cranked their bars or that is more suspension savvy than me weigh in on this question in particular?

"I noticed that the steering seems to require a tad more effort....like it's a little heavier and more resistant to moving on it's own than before. I don't know much about suspensions. Could the crank have caused this somehow or am I just imagining it?"
Old 08-01-2012, 12:03 PM
Banned

Vehicle: 95
Trim Level: Cloaking
Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
Rep:1776
Warlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant future

I was perusing your thread and stopped to think about it...so I Googled it to make sure I wasn't going to give you information that was less than correct.

You are going to undoubtedly going to notice a difference in the steering since the torsion bar is an alternative to the coil spring and adjusting it also adjusts the wheel travel, it's position on the steering stops, and the characteristics of the lower control arm. Which all have an independent part of how the vehicle handles and steers.

You're putting more downward force on the lower control arms which should effect the steering at least somewhat noticeably.

Last edited by Warlock III; 08-01-2012 at 12:06 PM.
Old 08-01-2012, 02:42 PM

Vehicle: 2012 2500 Mega 4x4 Laramie
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: White
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:73
Bikenut will become famous soon enough

Your ball joints are going to wear out pretty quickly too.

The gains are Not worth the damage done by doing a torsion lift.

Did you notice any 'pogo-ing' front the front end? You'll probably need better shocks to make it quasi-rite but I'd never do it again having gone through what I did doing a torsion key lift.

Retro-Soutions 55W HIDs - Firestone 5K Airbags -
18" Magnaflow - integrated electric tailgate lock and EZ-Down kit - Cabin air filter retrofit - $79 Catch Can - KORE leveling kit and Bilsteins front and rear
Old 08-01-2012, 02:47 PM

Warlock....I can't tell any difference in how the truck drives or tracks or anything like that. It just seems like it takes a tad more effort to turn the steering wheel. Not like a truck without power steering or anything that severe...just a tad bit heavier. The kinda strange part is that I went up 5 full turns but I drove it after only going 1.5 turns (to let it settle and see how much lift I got) and noticed the difference then. After going up 3.5 additional turns the steering still feels like it did at 1.5 turns.

I am going to try to have it aligned at the end of the week. Maybe that will return the steering effort to normal. If it doesn't I really don't care because it's so slight that unless you had driven the truck before you wouldn't notice it. I was just wondering what might have caused it and what everyone's opinion is.

Bikenut...You think an inch of lift is going to make that big of a difference? I have read of guys going a full 2" (8-10) turns and running for years with no issues. What kind of experience did you have? As far as I know there is no other way to level a torsion bar truck is there? The differences that I have noticed are extremely minor and nothing I would consider a negative at this point. I just put new Monroe Sensa-tracs on about two weeks ago but I don't know if they are any longer than stock or not. With only an inch of lift I didn't really think it would matter even if they aren't.

Thanks for the posts guys.

Last edited by starquestbd22; 08-01-2012 at 02:52 PM.
Old 08-03-2012, 04:44 AM

Vehicle: 2007 RAM
Engine: 2007-2011 409ci (6.7L) Cummins Turbo Diesel 350hp 650lb/ft
Rep:64
NWRQC will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazychevy88 View Post
cranking the torsion bars up definately affects alot on your suspension, and probably did make you steering tighter because things are binding up at differant angle than they were. Your front tires will also wear out faster starting from the outer tread/sidewall. the 4x4 probably didn't fully release until the wheels were straight, I always try to back up a good 10 ft when I drive anything in 4x4, auto hubs or not. I would set the bars back to where they were and just save up the $150 for a leveling kit. Good luck!
Quote:
Originally Posted by starquestbd22 View Post
I'm going to get the truck aligned if I decide to keep it like this. That should solve the tire wear issue. As for getting an actual leveling kit...the only kit that I am aware of for my truck is the torsion key type kit. My understanding is that it levels the truck by doing the same thing that the crank did. The only difference is that it retains the stock adjustability (as far as the position of the torsion key bolts) and if you buy forged keys they are probably stronger than the stockers. Plus, I don't know of any aftermarket keys that only lift one inch...I don't want it any higher than that.
Yes you are correct, aftermarket keys will have the same affect as cranking the stock keys... Buying them would be a waste of $150.
As far as components wearing out faster, I haven't seen this on any of the vehicles ive adjusted. While I agree that it puts more strain on the suspension and steering components, but if you keep it to about 2" or less you will be fine. I have done it on several of my own vehicles and a few friends vehicles (all about 2") and combined I couldn't even tell you the amount of miles driven, but A friends 02 ram was cranked with about 35K on the clock and she is now on the other side of 150K with the only part replacement being the shocks.
Shocks are a must if you want a decent ride.
Old 08-03-2012, 06:50 AM

Thanks for the replies everyone. I had it aligned yesterday with no issues. Also, as I said earlier, I only raised it up a tad over an inch so I'm not particularly worried about it causing any issues. I am really digging the way it looks and rides. It seems to be a little firmer over dips and bumps and whatnot but raising it did not create the harshness that I was afraid of. Obviously, with just an inch lift it's still around 1-1/2" higher in the back but if it's parked on level ground you can just barely see it. It looks pretty darn close to level. Before, every time I walked out to get in it I caught myself thinking "I wish it didn't sit so much lower in the front." Not anymore!!!
Old 10-14-2012, 11:21 AM

Vehicle: 2003 dodge ram 1500 reg cab
Trim Level: SLT Sport
Color: Black
Rep:155
99gp has a spectacular aura about99gp has a spectacular aura about

I know this is kinda an old thread, but I am looking at doing this to my truck this week. Do you still like it? I also have new shocks to put on it at the same time