DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 3RD Generation Dodge Ram 2002 to 2008 Dodge Ram Trucks > Suspension

Notices

Suspension 3rd Gen Dodge Ram Suspension Problems and Questions

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 06-23-2012, 11:54 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2007 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Patriot Blue
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:10
greyguy1 is on a distinguished road
Default Anyone has this happen...worn threads on tie rod (NOT tie-rod ends)

Wondering if anyone has seen, heard, or otherwise experienced this problem.

2007 Ram 1500 with 60,000 miles, started making a clunking noise a few weeks when turning right at parking lot speeds. I figured I would get under there and check things out soon, but today sped the process along a bit.
I was backing out of a parking space and all of a sudden the truck feels like the brakes were applied, got out and my truck is sitting there looking all pigeon-toed. Left side tie rod had come out of the tie rod end.....nothing broke, but the steering arm was pulled out of the tie-rod end.
So I get it home and start looking at the threads on the tie rod....very worn and had a tapered look from the nut to the end and a little rusty. So I grab the calipers to measure the difference and there was about a 1/16" difference from nut to the end of the tie rod. I could slip the tie rod end on about 1/2" before it started to barely engage the threads on the actual tie-rod.
Can't seem to find just the tie rod for sale so it looks like I will have to replace the whole rack & pinion assembly. Is this normal for a 5 year old truck? I understand worn tie-rod ends, but the actual rod being worn??
Sponsored links
Old 09-05-2012, 01:36 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2003 Dodge Ram Hemi
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Black
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:10
HemiBeast is on a distinguished road

I have seen it happen before, it is usually the result of the jam nut being left loose during the last alignment. To fix it you will need a new inner tie-rod end and a new outer tie-rod end. The inner tie-rod requires a special tool for easy removal, but I have gotten them off with some inventive measures with a crescent or pipe wrench before. Whatever you do DO NOT DRIVE your truck as it is, the steering could come apart at any time. and after the parts are installed it needs to go STRAIGHT to a REPUTABLE alignment shop so it doesn't kill your tires. Hope this helps and isn't too late!!