DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > Dodge Ram 4x4 - Offroad Discussion

Notices

Dodge Ram 4x4 - Offroad Discussion All about Off-Road in here! From prep to execution! Let us know how you roll Off Road in your Dodge Ram Truck!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 05-11-2014, 10:03 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2003 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Black
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:22
Dingo is on a distinguished road
Default Rear end question

I have an 03 QC Ram, 4x4, Hemi, 3.92 gears. When I bought the truck I had the diffs serviced and while the rear was open I noticed I had what I believed was a LSD. Normally I don't keep the windows down in the truck when off road in the desert when it gets hot but yesterday was a nice day. When in 4WD either 4HI or 4LO, I noticed the read tires "scrubbing" when I turned as though it was locked. I've had other trucks with LSDs and never heard or noticed it in them until I installed a locker in the rear of my Blazer. Also should mention, when in 2WD, it doesnt do it. Or doesn't seem to do it. Thoughts? Another thing, at one point in 4LO, 1st gear, OD off, going down a steep embankment, my ABS, brake, and airbag lights cam on until i was down the hill and drove level for a bit. Is THAT normal? Slope was about 50- 60%
Sponsored links
Old 05-11-2014, 08:31 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2005 QC 4X4 HEMI RAM
Trim Level: Thunder Road
Color: Mineral Grey
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:418
hydrex is just really nicehydrex is just really nicehydrex is just really nicehydrex is just really nicehydrex is just really nice

It's normal in 4wd to for the tires to scrub and fight each other. It's real 4x4 and does not have a viscous coupling. As someone who uses my Ram in the woods and drag races, I like it. In snow, you need to be aware that on sharp corners, it might crab a wee bit. Use Mopar differential lube with the limited slip additive. Mine works excellent at the track, never had a peg leg. Don't know about the ABS lights, etc coming on on such a steep hill, guess it kept you from crashing.
Inertia Spartan Plus cam, Circle D 3,000 rpm stall converter,Sonnax line pressure booster, Vararam, JBA's with cut outs, Rancho 9000's,3:92's, extra rear leaf.Line-X Bedliner, 210,000 miles To Hell and back. 14.2/96 mph NEDW

Last edited by hydrex; 05-11-2014 at 08:34 PM.
Old 05-12-2014, 09:28 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2013 RAM 1500
Trim Level: Tradesman
Color: White and black
Engine: 2013-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 395hp 410lb/ft
Rep:46
preachp is on a distinguished road

HI Dingo,

Don't know about the ABS lights etc. Maybe because of the angle the truck thought it was in a crash situation or there may be an inertia switch someplace that doesn't like being tipped like that.
On the other point I get the exact same thing with my 2013 LSD equipped 4X4 1500. I was putting in a new shed the other day and was pulling it into position. The tries slipped just a bit before grabbing and dragging that thing right where I wanted it. I got out and looked at where the tires had slipped and much to my surprise there were four little dig marks?!?! Yeah I'm sure they were from the truck since I was on my lawn and I am not big on people driving on my yard. Also when in 4Lo I have to allow for extra turning space it will hop like a bunny. So I only use 4Lo for serious heavy duty stuff. I honestly did not think it would act like a locker but in 4 Lo it takes traction control off and apparently activates the LSD system and keeps it on until it comes out of 4 Lo.

preachp
Philippians 4:13 I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.

MODS: Kenwood DNX570 HD, Jeraco Hirise cap, black 4" nerf bars, Ultra Baron wheels, BFG Rugged Terrain A/T tires, Spyder smoke headlights and red smoke LED taillights, Bumble Beast stripe.