DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 4TH Generation Dodge Ram 2009+ Dodge Ram Trucks > Body & Interior
Register Advertising Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Body & Interior 4th Gen Dodge Ram Body & Interior Problems and Questions.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 05-23-2015, 09:11 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2015 Ram
Trim Level: R/T
Color: Granite Crystal
Engine: 2013-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 395hp 410lb/ft
Rep:14
AlwaysSomethin is on a distinguished road
Default DIY: How To Remove Airbag Emblem

So I got a replacement badge for my steering wheel from Nate at rebadge, and couldn't really find a good idea on how to remove the old emblem (some say pry it off etc. but I couldn't find a definitive answer)

I came to the conclusion the best was was via removing the Airbag, then its cover. I first followed steps from a Steering wheel control how-to to remove the airbag, found here:
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgeorgemo View Post
Step 1: Disconnect the Negative terminal of the truck battery.

Step 2: Using the Torx screwdriver remove the screws holding the column cover together. Then remove and set aside the upper column cover. the lower doesn't need to be removed for this installation.

Step 3: Use the standard screwdriver or Airbag tool to flip the spring clips on the air bag from the studs on the steering wheel.

This is the hardest part of the install in my opinion.

The spring clips are located at about 10 o'clock, 2 o'clock and 6 o'clock on the rear of the steering wheel under the rear cover of the wheel. They are hard because it is going to be nearly impossible to see what you are doing.
This picture of the back of the wheel when removed shows where the openings that you need to use to access the spring clips are located. Notice the little half circle cutouts at 10, 2, and 6. The little black bar on the metal in each cutout is the back side of the airbag retaining studs. The clips will be over the studs and you can feel them, even though you can't see them.

The picture below show what the spring clip looks like coming off the back of the airbag.

In the picture below the red circles are where the studs are located once you get the airbag off.

Turn the wheel so that each position is centered on the top of the wheel's rotation. This will help when you are prying off the clip.
You need to slide the blade under the clip and pull it outward from the center of the wheel while pressing the horn cover away from the steering wheel. If you do it right the horn cover will pop off the stud. .

Once you get one turn the wheel to center the next spot and get the others.

Take a break.....you deserve it. I was almost ready to cuss at this point because of the frustration in getting the airbag off.

Step 4: Disconnect the airbag wiring from the rear of the airbag and set it aside until you are ready to replace it. While you are disconnecting the airbag go ahead and disconnect the steering wheel harness which is the white clip you can see at 12 o'clock in the picture above.

by @Cgeorgemo

once you have the bag off, you can bend the tabs back, as you see in the pics, and remove the actual cover, that will get you to this:

I never fully removed the cover, i simply pulled the lower part away, and gently pushed the silver tab down with a screwdriver and it popped right off releasing the emblem. You can now hook the cover back over the tabs an bend them back.

After the cover is back on, You can make all your connections, snap the bag back in, reassemble the column cover, install your new badge before reconnecting the battery.

I probably should've taken more pictures, but this is my first shot at a writeup, and I obviously had no clue what I was doing to begin with haha. So hopefully this can help someone! I'm glad I didn't choose the "Just pry it off" method, A. because id hate for the metal piece to just be rattling behind the bag cover, B. Because my luck the bag would deploy and itd find my face.
Sponsored links