DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 2ND Generation Dodge Ram 1994 to 2001 Dodge Ram Trucks > Powertrain > 5.9L V8 Specific Topics

Notices

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 08-06-2012, 08:04 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 1994 dodge ram
Trim Level: slt
Color: red
Engine: 1994-1997 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 230hp
Rep:10
opelts94ram is on a distinguished road
Default just inherited 94 ram 5.9 build up questions

I have a 1994 2wd ram that had a 5.2 in it. I am currently in the process of building a 1997 5.9 block for it.. with KB .030 hypertuetic pistons. i am planning on buying aluminum heads for it and a hughes f1 aluminum intake along with headers. My goal is to achieve aroung 300-350 on motor if possible with most of it being low end grunt for tire shredding torque . But as i know with obd1 restricts any tuning. ANd i currently have a mopar perf. computer for it. I am trying to find out what kind of camshaft would be recommendend along with compression ratio that the computer could handle. Open to any suggestions also if there is anything that i could possibly do with the computer. Thinking of a high stall torque converter but not sure of what company or stall would be recommended. IT is a frame of restoration currently that I inherited from my grandpa when he passed and just cant let it rust away.
Sponsored links
Old 08-06-2012, 10:11 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 1990 RamCharger
Color: Red
Engine: 1988-1991 318ci (5.2L) LA V8 140hp
Rep:85
Gen1dak will become famous soon enough

CompCams offers considerably hotter cams for both stock and aftermarket computers (Mopar Perf OBD I). The stock Magnum heads will flow enough to put out 400hp at 6,000rpm at the flywheel, so your goal with the aluminum heads is very reasonable. Keep in mind that with the MP aftermarket computer, you will have to run premium gas due to the increased ignition timing. Since you're doing the other mods, the computer will help build good power, but it's not really oriented towards lower rpm power. Same for cams.
If you want heavy low end power, milder cams deliver. Milder cams tend to do fine with the stock computer. Hughes FI AirGap? Good idea. The stock computer has enough room in it to handle simple bolt-on superchargers running 5-7psi. That's all that's really safe for long-term use on cast pistons anyway, and that was a solid 35-40% increase in power right there. Point being, the OBD I does have limits, but it depends on where you push those limits. A computer-friendly cam with 112-114 degrees lobe separation and gross lift not exceeding around .480" lift and appropriate moderate duration will prove the saying "less is more". Anyway, give CompCams a call and they can set you up. As for the aluminum heads, generally you can get away with about one additional point of compression (all else being equal) as opposed to an iron head setup. With the aluminum heads, you should have some wiggle room on fuel vs detonation if you use the hi-perf computer. You could stick with a stock compression, run hi-perf computer, but run on less than premium gas. Just remember that your powerband will move up or down the rpm range depending on the cam. So decide where you will be running the engine, and tailor the package to match. Opinions vary on converters. Don't go too high on stall or you'll be wasting some of the low rpm power you're shooting for. Do add an external transmission fluid cooler. I deal with PATC on transmission matters, but there are others.
Want roller rockers on those heads? Use CompCams screw in studs #4542-16 and guide plates #4825-8 Then you could use any chevy style roller rockers. Tends to open up choice at less of a price premium.
With all that intake capability, don't forget an nice free-flowing exhaust system.
Old 08-06-2012, 11:01 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 1994 dodge ram
Trim Level: slt
Color: red
Engine: 1994-1997 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 230hp
Rep:10
opelts94ram is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the info..im kind of new to the dodge scene have only had chevys mostly so any info is always appreciated..i didn't know bout them rocker studs that will be nice. Im pretty much just trying to get to a nice streetable truck with low end grunt that a truck should have. I will be giving comp cams a call for sure as soon as i get a chance here also. The exhaust will be open also thinking about getting long tube headers with true duals and some type prolly a magnaflow mufflers for a nice deep tone. thanks