DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Exterior Modifications - Body Mods - Body Kits

Notices

Custom Dodge Ram Exterior Modifications - Body Mods - Body Kits All custom mods on the outside of your Dodge Ram. Custom Dodge Ram Body Kits, Custom Paint, Grilles, Camper Tops, Bed Liners, etc.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 08-08-2012, 03:13 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT
Color: White
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:1385
snrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud of
Default Line-x problems

I just had my bed sprayed with line-x and when I picked it up it had two bubbled spots. My guess is improper prep, maybe moisture. The guy says he will fix it, I'm just worried about the rest of the bed, and if the fix will be crappy or good. I don't want a patch job I want a nice liner.

The shop is reputable, I went far out of my way to go there because I've seen several liners he's done and none had issues. I'm just wondering if anyone has had experience with patching liners, and how it works, what they do, and how it holds up...

I've heard some people say they puncture the bubble and super glue it down, some say they sand it down and respray the area, some say they sand it and spray it with crappy rattle can undercoating.

Just trying to be informed before I go back...

Breathing in and out is good enough for me.
Sponsored links
Old 08-08-2012, 06:23 PM
Banned

Vehicle: 2012 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Lone Star
Color: Black
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:34
Jchaney579 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by snrusnak View Post
I just had my bed sprayed with line-x and when I picked it up it had two bubbled spots. My guess is improper prep, maybe moisture. The guy says he will fix it, I'm just worried about the rest of the bed, and if the fix will be crappy or good. I don't want a patch job I want a nice liner.

The shop is reputable, I went far out of my way to go there because I've seen several liners he's done and none had issues. I'm just wondering if anyone has had experience with patching liners, and how it works, what they do, and how it holds up...

I've heard some people say they puncture the bubble and super glue it down, some say they sand it down and respray the area, some say they sand it and spray it with crappy rattle can undercoating.

Just trying to be informed before I go back...
Now by bubbles do you mean huge muffin tops? Or like somebody took a tooth pik to a section and poked the still wet bed liner with it? I have seen the second one on my dads ranger. He has a 2010 with their regular base line black sprayed liner. It looks amazing IMO still after a year and he loves it. There is an entire section over the rail and his tailgate that looks like somebody took a pin or a tooth pick and poked, poked, poked, playing around with it. Only noticeable when looking directly at is, but still there. I have told him to take it back and get them to fix/correct it when I get mine done! If we are talking about the same thing I will head out to his place and take pictures of his truck to compare! Like you said most likely poor paint prep! My old mans how ever has developed a few spots baking out here in the Texas son it seems.

Last edited by Jchaney579; 08-08-2012 at 06:29 PM.
Old 08-08-2012, 10:12 PM

snrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud of

There are two "bubbles". One is very minor, about a quarter size, where it basically didn't bond to the paint and is "loose". It was "bubbled" up but I guess after a day settled and lays flat now, but is not bonded to the paint.

The other area is really bad, it is huge, like softball size. It's bubbled up and squishy(either trapped air or moisture) but you can push it with your finger and it deforms like a balloon.

Old 08-08-2012, 11:11 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 2X4
Trim Level: quad cab SLT
Color: sunburst orange pearl
Rep:2608
GTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond repute

I watched Line-X do a repair after someone slid a heavy loaded pallet into a truck bed, they ground down the bad area & gave it a quick spray, it looked great

by the way, your bed doesn't have a paint job under the Line-X
they use a grinder to rough up the paint
that is why i couldn't stand there & watch them prep my pretty orange Ram
Ram 1500 SLT Quad cab, 5.7 HEMI(R) MDS VCT, 5 speed auto 545RFE, 3.55 differential gears, 18" Magnaflow muffler, EGR bug deflector, Bushwacker fender flares, customized Nfab nerf bars, CB radio, Autonet wi-fi router, custom soft tonneau cover, Line_X bedliner, DEBO Step, build date 10/15/08 a Wednesday built vehicle
Old 08-09-2012, 12:53 AM
Banned

Vehicle: 2012 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Lone Star
Rep:34
Jchaney579 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTyankee View Post
I watched Line-X do a repair after someone slid a heavy loaded pallet into a truck bed, they ground down the bad area & gave it a quick spray, it looked great

by the way, your bed doesn't have a paint job under the Line-X
they use a grinder to rough up the paint
that is why i couldn't stand there & watch them prep my pretty orange Ram
^ Yea haha... When they did my old mans truck it was brand spanking new with dealer plates on. We stayed to watch... Was a sickening feeling to watch them take a freaking grinder to it
Old 08-09-2012, 07:51 AM

Yeah I'm pretty familiar with the whole process, just not sure about how they patch it. Hopefully it's like you said and they respray that area and it's not noticeable. I'll be upset if they do a "patch" with some other product or something else...

It's funny people who don't like spray ins show the videos of them grinding all the paint down and scuffing it up and use that as advertising as why you shouldn't use a spray in; "do you want them doing this to your brand new truck?". YES, otherwise it won't bond lol.

Old 08-19-2012, 11:46 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: '12 RAM 1500
Trim Level: Big Horn
Rep:420
gotbrains230 is just really nicegotbrains230 is just really nicegotbrains230 is just really nicegotbrains230 is just really nicegotbrains230 is just really nice

Did you ever get this taken care of
Old 08-20-2012, 08:01 AM

Yeah went there saturday. Basically he super glued it. He told me if I wanted that he would rip it all out and respray it but I told him we could try to glue first and if it didn't hold then rip it out. He had basically a needle that he punctured the bubble with, then injected super glue, then pushed it down and so far it's stayed bonded. A few white spots on top of the liner from the glue but he said it'll wear off quickly which I believe. He said they can't just cut the bad spot out and touch it up with linex because the spray pattern on the gun is so large. If it happens to not hold I will take it back and he will rip out the whole liner and redo it.

He's a really nice guy, met me on a saturday(when they are closed), took him about 15-30 minutes to do the repair, then we BS'd for about 2 hours about trucks, cars, and other crap. Then he gave me a tube of sealant to use on the screws when I install my toolbox, and gave me a bottle of bed liner cleaner/conditioner. He had some cool things there like a styro foam cooler that was sprayed with linex. He also had a ram 2500 that was nice. He had his wife's ram 1500 in the bay that he color matched and sprayed the bumpers, bed cover, and put some rams heads in the bumpers in the linex. Pretty cool.

Old 08-20-2012, 08:24 AM

Vehicle: 2011 dodge ram rt
Trim Level: rt
Color: brilliant black pearl
Rep:1061
dodgert has much to be proud ofdodgert has much to be proud ofdodgert has much to be proud ofdodgert has much to be proud ofdodgert has much to be proud ofdodgert has much to be proud ofdodgert has much to be proud ofdodgert has much to be proud of

thats why i got a bed rug aint no one grinding my bed
Old 08-20-2012, 08:45 AM

Well I'm glad they grind it lol, if they don't prep it it won't adhere. What's the problem with it? Just like anything else, would you not have your car painted because you know they are going to sand it first? It's just prep.

Most likely this spot that bubbled is from air in the gun or the guy touched his knee there or something like that. Just like painting, if you get any oils from your skin on the surface then it won't adhere. I think it was air in the nozzle though, as the super glue has bonded. If it was oil on the surface the glue also probably wouldn't have bonded. The linex guns have a nozzle about 1" long and that's the entire "mixing chamber" for the material. It's mixed 1:1 at the nozzle, if a little air gets in the mix there which is possible since it's such a short chamber then it won't activate because the mix is off.

I love the liner, it looks amazing, is tough, easy on the knees, doesn't hold moisture.... the benefits are endless lol. I'm so glad that I finally have one in my truck after admiring all my friend's and family's liners over the past 7-8 years. I hated that plastic liner that I had, it warped, was hard on knees, slippery, trapped crap under neath, rattled and moved around, etc. I know some like the bed rugs but I don't. I just think that's a really strange thing to put in the bed of a truck. I can't see dragging a shovel in there being easy with carpet for it to hang up on, and even if they are durable they won't last forever like the linex. I can also sweep the linex out with a broom, can't imagine you could do that with a carpet. The biggest thing though is that I could see the carpet ripping and bunching up the first time I push a pallet of block or mortar in there or something like that.