DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Interior Modifications - Custom Audio / Video

Notices

Custom Dodge Ram Interior Modifications - Custom Audio / Video All custom mods on the interior of your Dodge Ram. Dodge Ram stereo mods, alarms, electronics, shift knobs, upholstery, etc.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 08-09-2012, 08:28 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2010 Ram 2500 Crew 4x4
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Dark Brown Metallic / Tan
Engine: 2007-2011 409ci (6.7L) Cummins Turbo Diesel 350hp 650lb/ft
Rep:13
hhg is on a distinguished road
Arrow 2011 MyGig in 2012 Ram

In an earlier thread I had installation questions about putting a 2011 RHR in my 2012 Ram 1500 with standard radio. First I like to thank everybody for their answers or input. I installed the RHR today and here is what I learned:

1. If you have the Sirius option you already have a dual band antenna (GPS/Sirius) in your 2011/2012 truck.

2. Some claim that, starting in 2012 the hig bus speed was increased. Not true because I tried a stock 2010 radio in my 2012 truck and it works. High speed bus is high speed bus.

3. At least 2011 and below radios are plug & play. No trip to the dealer required for TIPM updates, though it took some driving around before the nav portion realized that it was in Missouri. Now it works flawless.

4. Keep in mind that you need an additional GPS antenna when you get a2010 or older nav unit and put it in a 2011up truck. The older radios have three antenna connections.

Again, thanks for the help and I hope the above information helps somebody.

Quiet Professional

Last edited by hhg; 08-09-2012 at 08:31 PM.
Sponsored links
Old 08-09-2012, 11:07 PM

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 Crew Cab
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Deep Water Blue
Engine: 2009-???? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:52
astroman54 will become famous soon enough

Congrats on the install and good luck with it.. So far I love mine that I put in my 2009.

It looks like there is an upgrade to 2.169 for it at:
http://mofv.com/mygig/BBS/index.php

You also may wish to perform the upgrade to Gracenotes as well which is available at the same site..

Andy
Old 08-10-2012, 09:04 AM

Andy,

I do have older software versions on my unit, but it seems to work just fine and I don't know if there is a bebefit to it. Did you ever upgrade yours? I have been reading up on this and it seems like there is a potential of locking up the radio and then needing some unlock code to make it work again. By the way, how do I determine the map version and year?

When I installed mine yesterday it didn't ask me for any codes, so is it safe to assume that the code (if there is one) is 1-2-3-4? I haven't read the whole manual yet so I don't know if I can put my own code in before I do the updates. That would probably the way to go....at least I would have the right code.

Quiet Professional
Old 08-10-2012, 10:55 PM

When I first installed mine, it did not ask for a code either.

I've updated both the base software for the radio and the Gracenotes. There is another new base software update that was just posted and I just downloaded it.

For starters, the base software update did wonders for the voice recognition on my RHR. I would highly recommend it as I was frustrated with the performance prior to me performing it and I'm very satisfied now since the update.

The Gracenotes update is only for the identification of the CD or music uploaded to the hard drive. Prior to the update it didn't seem to recognize any album I installed or uploaded to the hard drive, even The Beatles Albums which I thought was strange. Since updateing it, it now recognizes a lot more, but there are some that it still doesn't recognize... So if you don't care if it recognizes and displays the album covers on the screen, you can opt not to do the update. Plan on spending about an hour or more to do each update and you can't turn the truck off (you can have the key in the aux position though) until the update finishes. It does update faster if performed with a USB Stick rather than with a DVD-R.

Overall, I've been happy with the updates..

There was once where I attached something to the USB only to have the radio lock up. I disconnected the battery and when I reconnected it, it asked for the security code and 1234 worked for me (Very Thankfully!!!)

I've heard of some radios needing the code put in after doing the update, but mine did not.

One last note.. There are two additional USB ports on the back of the radio, and I ran cables from there to the glove box and the console box. This way I could connect something and have it hidden.

Andy
Old 08-12-2012, 07:35 PM

OK, taking a chance of assking a stuoid question. I read all kinds of stuff on how to download and update as well as some hooror stories about the radios getting locked.

Andy,

could you post some good link where to get the latest firmware and Gracenote software. And maybe some detailed instruction on what to download and how to name the folder or directories on the USB? Does this stuff need unzipping? Can you put both, firmware and Gracenote on the USB stick at the same time?

Thanks,

Hans

Quiet Professional

Last edited by hhg; 08-12-2012 at 07:57 PM.
Old 08-12-2012, 07:56 PM

Maybe this will help others too.

Thanks, Hans

Quiet Professional
Old 08-12-2012, 11:40 PM

Here is where I got the updates and how-to's on how to install it.

http://mofv.com/mygig/BBS/index.php

Andy
Old 10-10-2012, 02:02 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2011 Ram Sport Thunder Road
Color: White
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:22
Zalman is on a distinguished road

Maybe I'm crazy but after I installed 2.169 I found the stereo sounded way better! I no longer have to turn the mid settings way down to get decent sound, in fact I used to have it set at +4,-10,+1 now it's +4,+1,+1 and sounds way better than before......but it might just be in my head.....

Btw here is a link to the 2.169 update for RHR/RHW/RHP: http://mofv.com/mygig/BBS/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=7537
and the newest gracenotes for RHR: http://mofv.com/mygig/BBS/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=6266

Last edited by Zalman; 10-10-2012 at 02:05 PM.
Old 10-10-2012, 03:43 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 2X4
Trim Level: quad cab SLT
Color: sunburst orange pearl
Rep:2615
GTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond repute

If there is any chance of you having to leave while the update is going on
leave the ignition in the ON position & use your 2nd FOB to lock the truck
it does work, i know, i had to leave the Ram to get rid of some beer & i live on a street that you wouldn't want to leave your vehicle unlocked unless it was close by, real close by.

I shut off the ignition & that stopped the download, the Ram radio functions locked up, everyone one of them. I accidentally found a way to get it working again. Then i restarted the d/l again, & i watched it progress & progress, i needed to run into the house again, but i had the spare FOB handy, i locked the Ram & let it run on its own. I sat in the garage & kept drinking beer, checking on the d/l every couple minutes.

I had 2 d/ls to do & i am glad that i did them, more sound adjustment, better voice recognition, Uconnect now d/ls my phone book

I have a suggestion on the Navigation, do not upgrade the maps for a minimum of 3 years. If you are thinking about buying the map upgrade, find out FIRST what the CD revision date was, you don't want to spend $178 just to find out that what you thought was a map upgrade, is the same thing as what is already in your unit. I had waited 3 years & the version that came on the CD, was only 6 months newer than what i already had. I was irritated to say the least.
I don't have a Smart phone, if i did, i would be using the Mapping on that, it is way more current & a ton cheaper
I bought a Garmin NUVI, now i don't have to pay for mapping, it came with LIFETIME MAPS & TRAFFIC free with the purchase of the NUVI

Traffic on the MYGIG touch screens is indicated by the 3 cars on the upper right corner of the soft screen
Traffic is an small extra monthly charge, as long as your Sirius acct. is active
Ram 1500 SLT Quad cab, 5.7 HEMI(R) MDS VCT, 5 speed auto 545RFE, 3.55 differential gears, 18" Magnaflow muffler, EGR bug deflector, Bushwacker fender flares, customized Nfab nerf bars, CB radio, Autonet wi-fi router, custom soft tonneau cover, Line_X bedliner, DEBO Step, build date 10/15/08 a Wednesday built vehicle
Old 11-04-2012, 02:38 AM
Ram Ham

Vehicle: 2012 Ram 1500 Crew Cab
Color: Mineral Gray Metallic
Engine: 2009-2012 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:1475
KA1OTE has much to be proud ofKA1OTE has much to be proud ofKA1OTE has much to be proud ofKA1OTE has much to be proud ofKA1OTE has much to be proud ofKA1OTE has much to be proud ofKA1OTE has much to be proud ofKA1OTE has much to be proud ofKA1OTE has much to be proud ofKA1OTE has much to be proud of

Pardon my ignorance, but I am confused after reading this..

I have the RHR 730N.. do I need any of these updates as mentioned here?
How do I know what version of software I currently have loaded?

Sorry for the questions.. somehow I just assumed these things updated themselves.. LOL