DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 2ND Generation Dodge Ram 1994 to 2001 Dodge Ram Trucks > Powertrain > 5.2L V8 Specific Topics


Notices


Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 08-10-2012, 03:47 AM
Goatboy's Avatar
Goatboy Goatboy is offline
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Washington State
Posts: 45
Gender: Male
Vehicle: 2001 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: Economy
Color: White
Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
Rep Power: 0
Rep:10
Goatboy is on a distinguished road
Default How to decode transmission serial number?

I have a 2001 Dodge Ram 1500 with a 5.2L 318 V8 4x2, with a 46RE automatic transmission. Bought it from a used car dealer and was writen into the contract that I got to have my mechanic check it out. Long story short, the PCM coded as failed and we found a 3 inch piece of a snap ring in the trans pan. But the rest of the trans looked in almost new condition, so agreed to let them fix it and Id still buy the truck. Have had the truck 2 weeks and the trans is in terrible working order. I looked at it and I swear that is not the same transmission. This one seems older and dirty. So I took down the serial number but cant for the life of me find a decoder for it anywhere. I have called my mechanic, trans shops and locale dealer parts depts with no luck. The dealership has agreed to take it back again to fix it but I want to make sure I dont get stuck with a crap trans when the original just needed the snap ring replaced. Here is the serial number.

PK52119943AB 0991 1091

Figured Id add the current issue with the trans that is sending it back to the used car dealership.

Not long after getting the truck back, every few days I would notice that accelerating from a stop was almost nothing. At one point I even floored the gas for a second and got almost no added acceleration. Two of the times it happened I did hear the trans whine. Once it slipped and engaged. A few days ago it got bad so I tried to manual shift on the column. At first I thought I had lost second gear as it would accelerate much better doing it manually and when I would move to second gear, nothing. I would then move to drive and it would shift. I took the truck out yesterday to see if I could get a better understanding of what its doing as I am hunting the web for ideas and I now think its not second gear thats the problem when this happens. I am thinking that first gear isnt engaging and its starting off in second gear. Thus the sluggish acceleration. Why it seems less sluggish when I manually shift it is kinda odd. I should also mention this only happens after its warm and ran for say 40 minutes. When its cold, it accelerates just fine. The only kinda odd thing I have noticed, and it did this from day one from the dealership, it shifts very quickly. You take off and when it shifts from first to second its maybe 1.5 seconds and it shifts to third and then another 1.5 seconds and it shifts to OD. It does this 99% of the time when I take off from a stop. Thanks
__________________
Trinity Dairy & Pack Goats http://trinitydairygoatfarms.webs.com http://trinitypackgoats.webs.com

Last edited by Goatboy; 08-10-2012 at 11:24 AM.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
  #2  
Old 08-11-2012, 10:03 AM
ramvan2500's Avatar
ramvan2500 ramvan2500 is offline
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Florida USA
Posts: 1,830
Gender: Male
Vehicle: 1995 Dodge Ram B2500 Van
Trim Level: SLT - 2500
Color: Deep Molten Pearl Coat, Silver, Grey
Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
Rep Power: 4
Rep:127
ramvan2500 will become famous soon enoughramvan2500 will become famous soon enough
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatboy View Post
I have a 2001 Dodge Ram 1500 with a 5.2L 318 V8 4x2, with a 46RE automatic transmission. Bought it from a used car dealer and was writen into the contract that I got to have my mechanic check it out. Long story short, the PCM coded as failed and we found a 3 inch piece of a snap ring in the trans pan. But the rest of the trans looked in almost new condition, so agreed to let them fix it and Id still buy the truck. Have had the truck 2 weeks and the trans is in terrible working order. I looked at it and I swear that is not the same transmission. This one seems older and dirty. So I took down the serial number but cant for the life of me find a decoder for it anywhere. I have called my mechanic, trans shops and locale dealer parts depts with no luck. The dealership has agreed to take it back again to fix it but I want to make sure I dont get stuck with a crap trans when the original just needed the snap ring replaced. Here is the serial number.

PK52119943AB 0991 1091

Figured Id add the current issue with the trans that is sending it back to the used car dealership.

Not long after getting the truck back, every few days I would notice that accelerating from a stop was almost nothing. At one point I even floored the gas for a second and got almost no added acceleration. Two of the times it happened I did hear the trans whine. Once it slipped and engaged. A few days ago it got bad so I tried to manual shift on the column. At first I thought I had lost second gear as it would accelerate much better doing it manually and when I would move to second gear, nothing. I would then move to drive and it would shift. I took the truck out yesterday to see if I could get a better understanding of what its doing as I am hunting the web for ideas and I now think its not second gear thats the problem when this happens. I am thinking that first gear isnt engaging and its starting off in second gear. Thus the sluggish acceleration. Why it seems less sluggish when I manually shift it is kinda odd. I should also mention this only happens after its warm and ran for say 40 minutes. When its cold, it accelerates just fine. The only kinda odd thing I have noticed, and it did this from day one from the dealership, it shifts very quickly. You take off and when it shifts from first to second its maybe 1.5 seconds and it shifts to third and then another 1.5 seconds and it shifts to OD. It does this 99% of the time when I take off from a stop. Thanks
Well from left to right, the first part is the part number, the middle is the building date, and the last 4 digits is the serial number.

As for decoding not going to happen, I have had hard times even figuring build dates because it's based off of a 10,000 day calender. I can tell you that you can search by part number to find which applications this specific transmission was used in.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 08-11-2012, 02:02 PM
Goatboy's Avatar
Goatboy Goatboy is offline
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Washington State
Posts: 45
Gender: Male
Vehicle: 2001 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: Economy
Color: White
Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
Rep Power: 0
Rep:10
Goatboy is on a distinguished road
Default

Well a build date would be better then nothing. At least then I should be able to figure out if this trans came outta a 96 lets say. Unless of course they built a million of them in 96
__________________
Trinity Dairy & Pack Goats http://trinitydairygoatfarms.webs.com http://trinitypackgoats.webs.com
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 08-11-2012, 02:40 PM
ramvan2500's Avatar
ramvan2500 ramvan2500 is offline
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Florida USA
Posts: 1,830
Gender: Male
Vehicle: 1995 Dodge Ram B2500 Van
Trim Level: SLT - 2500
Color: Deep Molten Pearl Coat, Silver, Grey
Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
Rep Power: 4
Rep:127
ramvan2500 will become famous soon enoughramvan2500 will become famous soon enough
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatboy View Post
Well a build date would be better then nothing. At least then I should be able to figure out if this trans came outta a 96 lets say. Unless of course they built a million of them in 96
I think it's from a 1999
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 08-12-2012, 01:12 AM
Goatboy's Avatar
Goatboy Goatboy is offline
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Washington State
Posts: 45
Gender: Male
Vehicle: 2001 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: Economy
Color: White
Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
Rep Power: 0
Rep:10
Goatboy is on a distinguished road
Default

Thanks for the effort. More then I have gotten from ANYONE else. I really got under there today and I am starting to think its the original trans or at least the casing. There is one area where the dirt matches up. You can see a crack where it has been removed but the dirt looks the same. Just thought It was cleaner then that. Dealership is taking the truck back on Monday. I gave them some ideas (bands, pcm if they flashed it instead of replacing it)

OH I did notice something else that I took note of. The orange marker on the dash behind the P R N D 2 1 is off quite a bit now. Where before it would line up for what gear you put it in. Now lets say I put it in drive, the orange slider is half way into the neutral. Not sure if this means anything other then someone not adjusting something minor of if this can effect the trans itself. Also, notice today 2 times when starting, the started seemed to engage kinda wrong. More evidence of the trans not being seated back correctly?
__________________
Trinity Dairy & Pack Goats http://trinitydairygoatfarms.webs.com http://trinitypackgoats.webs.com
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 08-12-2012, 02:07 PM
ramvan2500's Avatar
ramvan2500 ramvan2500 is offline
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Florida USA
Posts: 1,830
Gender: Male
Vehicle: 1995 Dodge Ram B2500 Van
Trim Level: SLT - 2500
Color: Deep Molten Pearl Coat, Silver, Grey
Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
Rep Power: 4
Rep:127
ramvan2500 will become famous soon enoughramvan2500 will become famous soon enough
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatboy View Post
Thanks for the effort. More then I have gotten from ANYONE else. I really got under there today and I am starting to think its the original trans or at least the casing. There is one area where the dirt matches up. You can see a crack where it has been removed but the dirt looks the same. Just thought It was cleaner then that. Dealership is taking the truck back on Monday. I gave them some ideas (bands, pcm if they flashed it instead of replacing it)

OH I did notice something else that I took note of. The orange marker on the dash behind the P R N D 2 1 is off quite a bit now. Where before it would line up for what gear you put it in. Now lets say I put it in drive, the orange slider is half way into the neutral. Not sure if this means anything other then someone not adjusting something minor of if this can effect the trans itself. Also, notice today 2 times when starting, the started seemed to engage kinda wrong. More evidence of the trans not being seated back correctly?
If you remove the knee bolster there should be a black cable that runs to the steering colum and it should have a nylon screw that you use to adjust the shifter indicator thing a ma bober.

As for the starter, yea if the transmission wasn't positioned properly during the PROPER install then it could mess up the starter but the starter could also be position wrong. Many times after removing these transmissions and installing them they never start up in park afterwards, eventually things go back to normal but for the first or second start it's a no go then everything goes to normal because of the cable system.

I do know that many people and these are people who do it for a living never put the transmission in properly and most times don't take it out properly.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 08-12-2012, 03:14 PM
Goatboy's Avatar
Goatboy Goatboy is offline
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Washington State
Posts: 45
Gender: Male
Vehicle: 2001 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: Economy
Color: White
Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
Rep Power: 0
Rep:10
Goatboy is on a distinguished road
Default

The guy who removed and installed the trans is a master mechanic but when asked by the dealership if he could do the work said he didnt have the knowledge to fix it. So I am guessing if he didnt have the knowledge to fix it, he probably didnt have the knowledge to be touching it. Will bring that up as a suggestion to the dealership as well. Maybe just needs to be PROPERLY installed. Thanks again!!!

EDIT: I also did some looking into the trans shops there in town where they trans was sent to get fixed, there all general mechanic shops with no actual trans shops... Not very optimistic about getting this trans dialed back in. If any issues at all remain, ill just tell em to take the truck back (which I dont wanna do as this is my first dodge pickup and even though there are a few things I dont really like, I love this truck) OR see if they will pay half to let me have it fixed. From all my hunting on the decoder I have found a place that sales PCMs that are flashed with your vin and have a year warranty for $200 and a trans place that has rebuilt 46er trans for $1350 with free shipping. Ill post the links. Let me know what you think.

PCM: http://store.allcomputerresources.co...025003500.html

Trans: http://www.tomsrivertransmissions.com/id7.html
__________________
Trinity Dairy & Pack Goats http://trinitydairygoatfarms.webs.com http://trinitypackgoats.webs.com

Last edited by Goatboy; 08-12-2012 at 03:23 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 08-12-2012, 05:39 PM
ramvan2500's Avatar
ramvan2500 ramvan2500 is offline
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Florida USA
Posts: 1,830
Gender: Male
Vehicle: 1995 Dodge Ram B2500 Van
Trim Level: SLT - 2500
Color: Deep Molten Pearl Coat, Silver, Grey
Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
Rep Power: 4
Rep:127
ramvan2500 will become famous soon enoughramvan2500 will become famous soon enough
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatboy View Post
The guy who removed and installed the trans is a master mechanic but when asked by the dealership if he could do the work said he didnt have the knowledge to fix it. So I am guessing if he didnt have the knowledge to fix it, he probably didnt have the knowledge to be touching it. Will bring that up as a suggestion to the dealership as well. Maybe just needs to be PROPERLY installed. Thanks again!!!

EDIT: I also did some looking into the trans shops there in town where they trans was sent to get fixed, there all general mechanic shops with no actual trans shops... Not very optimistic about getting this trans dialed back in. If any issues at all remain, ill just tell em to take the truck back (which I dont wanna do as this is my first dodge pickup and even though there are a few things I dont really like, I love this truck) OR see if they will pay half to let me have it fixed. From all my hunting on the decoder I have found a place that sales PCMs that are flashed with your vin and have a year warranty for $200 and a trans place that has rebuilt 46er trans for $1350 with free shipping. Ill post the links. Let me know what you think.

PCM: http://store.allcomputerresources.co...025003500.html

Trans: http://www.tomsrivertransmissions.com/id7.html
Well jack of all trades master of one... Thing is, there are very few mechanics out there that can do everything to a vehicle from rebuilding a transmission to designing a suspension system. Surely if you can rebuild a transmission you should be able to do brakes, oil changes, suspension replacement, and some engine work. But anyways whatever happens I hope you get everything straight and narrow. Don't expect a full fledge rebuild to be cheap, they can be expensive.

As far as the links are concerned, the PCM one seems legit and ok priced you can always check ebay.

The link for the trans, they seems reputable but try someone like PATC, I don't like PATC why I don't know but they are a very reputable company and they I must admit some amazing rebuilds. Anyone with a transmission dyno is who you should deal with because they can test the transmission before installing it in a vehicle. I can tell you I wish I had one, it would of saved me much time at one point.

A proper install, alot of times mechanics don't use loctite on the torque converter bolts and like clockwork they come loose, I learned that the hard way on my first rebuild but these are things that a specialist would know to do.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 08-13-2012, 09:20 PM
Goatboy's Avatar
Goatboy Goatboy is offline
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Washington State
Posts: 45
Gender: Male
Vehicle: 2001 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: Economy
Color: White
Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
Rep Power: 0
Rep:10
Goatboy is on a distinguished road
Default

Dear Dave:



Thank you for contacting the Ram Customer Assistance Center regarding

your 2001 Ram 1500.



We are pleased to provide vehicle build information per your request.



According to our records, your vehicle was equipped from the factory

with a 4-Speed Automatic 46RE Transmission which has the same serial

number as the one provided in your email.

It only took 2 weeks but finally found the answer
__________________
Trinity Dairy & Pack Goats http://trinitydairygoatfarms.webs.com http://trinitypackgoats.webs.com
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 08-13-2012, 09:46 PM
ramvan2500's Avatar
ramvan2500 ramvan2500 is offline
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Florida USA
Posts: 1,830
Gender: Male
Vehicle: 1995 Dodge Ram B2500 Van
Trim Level: SLT - 2500
Color: Deep Molten Pearl Coat, Silver, Grey
Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
Rep Power: 4
Rep:127
ramvan2500 will become famous soon enoughramvan2500 will become famous soon enough
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatboy View Post
Dear Dave:



Thank you for contacting the Ram Customer Assistance Center regarding

your 2001 Ram 1500.



We are pleased to provide vehicle build information per your request.



According to our records, your vehicle was equipped from the factory

with a 4-Speed Automatic 46RE Transmission which has the same serial

number as the one provided in your email.

It only took 2 weeks but finally found the answer
Well you got what you wanted, but now that you have proof that the transmission was never replaced you can file a claim or something.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


Advertisement






All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:15 AM.


= Copyright RamForumZ.com a Gigathreads.com Network Site =Ad Management by RedTyger
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vB.Sponsors


=Gigathreads Network=
CLUBS MOPAR NATION DSM GPMM MAMM JAM
DIESEL Diesel Forum      
CHEVY Chevy Camaro Forum Chevy Volt Forum    
CHRYSLER Chrysler 300C Forum      
DODGE Dodge Avenger Forum Dodge Caliber Forum Dodge Challenger Forum Dodge Charger Forum
  Dodge Circuit Forum Dodge Hornet Forum Dodge Magnum Forum Dodge Nitro Forum
  Dodge Ram Forum Dodge Dakota Forum Dodge Durango Forum Dodge Dart Forum
FORD Ford Raptor Forum Ford F150 Forum Ford F100 Forum  
JEEP Jeep Forum      
PONTIAC Pontiac G8 Forum      
SRT SRT Viper Forum SRT Cuda Forum