DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > 2012 Dodge Ram Forum

Notices

2012 Dodge Ram Forum For specific discussion of the 2012 Dodge Ram!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 08-10-2012, 09:17 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Black
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
Fordconvert is on a distinguished road
Angry I think my CAI is junk

Installed a Volant CAI on my 2012 BigHorn at around 200 miles. The first 1,000 miles, I noticed that my mileage actually dropped and I was lucky to pull 17 MPG going down the interestate. Those first 200 miles my truck said it was doing 19 and the CAI is the first thing I changed. In between, I also installed a Magnaflow 14".

I wasn't overly concerned about it at first. But now I've got a 4 inch lift with 35s that I know are going to drain my gas, so I'd kinda like to get that 2 mpg back if possible. Anyone else have issues with Volant? It made no difference in performance and very little in sound. Should I go back to stock on the intake?
Sponsored links
Old 08-10-2012, 09:25 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2012 1500 CC Express 4WD
Trim Level: Crew Cab Express
Rep:14
mikeb33 is on a distinguished road

The computer uses data from the oxygen sensor to adjust the fuel injectors to achieve the proper mixture. I am not sure why people think a CAI is going to improve their mileage? Especially at cruising speed, you are getting no more air than a stock setup, and even if you did, the computer would meter the fuel to the proper mixture.
The only point to a CAI is for WOT performance, and even then there isn't a lot to be gained for us, since the oem airbox is pretty good.
Old 08-10-2012, 09:26 AM

Vehicle: 2012
Rep:13
pogster is on a distinguished road

Sounds familiar. The best thing to do is put the factory intake back on and test it yourself to eliminate the flood of opinions. Let us know how it goes.
Old 08-10-2012, 09:36 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: .
Rep:4362
Asur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeb33 View Post
The computer uses data from the oxygen sensor to adjust the fuel injectors to achieve the proper mixture. I am not sure why people think a CAI is going to improve their mileage? Especially at cruising speed, you are getting no more air than a stock setup, and even if you did, the computer would meter the fuel to the proper mixture.
The only point to a CAI is for WOT performance, and even then there isn't a lot to be gained for us, since the oem airbox is pretty good.
Tend to agree about the gas thing here, the only thing the CAI will do is allow less restrictive flow of air to the intake and if its sucking the air from somewhere else than the engine compartment, the air may be cooler and as such provide better burn in the engine, cooler air has a higher density, thus containing more oxygen per volume unit than warmer air. But the end result will still only make small differences.
Old 08-10-2012, 11:53 AM
Banned

Vehicle: 2012 Ram 1500 Sport Crew Cab
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Mineral Gray
Rep:26
Miami Son is on a distinguished road

On a stock engine a CAI is basically a waste of money. The factory intake is not really that restricting to the stock engine. I did mine (K&N) for the sound, not for performance or gas mileage. The only way to take advantage of more airflow is if you modify the truck to breathe better, i.e. a more aggressive cam profile, larger valving, ported/polished heads and free-flowing exhaust. As expensive as these things are that money would be better spent elsewhere, especially since we do not yet have a tuner specifically for our '11-'12 models.
Old 08-10-2012, 02:36 PM

Vehicle: 2012 1500 CC Express 4WD
Trim Level: Crew Cab Express
mikeb33 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asur View Post
Tend to agree about the gas thing here, the only thing the CAI will do is allow less restrictive flow of air to the intake and if its sucking the air from somewhere else than the engine compartment, the air may be cooler and as such provide better burn in the engine, cooler air has a higher density, thus containing more oxygen per volume unit than warmer air. But the end result will still only make small differences.
I think CAIs are beneficial because they allow more air at WOT because of a larger, less restrictive filter, and bigger pipes. Not because of the "cold" part.
But even though "cooler air has a higher density, thus containing more oxygen per volume unit than warmer air" is true, the computer would sense the leaner mix and adjust for it.
Only reprogramming can do much to improve mileage, other than driving habits.
Old 08-10-2012, 02:51 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: .
Rep:4362
Asur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeb33 View Post
I think CAIs are beneficial because they allow more air at WOT because of a larger, less restrictive filter, and bigger pipes. Not because of the "cold" part.
But even though "cooler air has a higher density, thus containing more oxygen per volume unit than warmer air" is true, the computer would sense the leaner mix and adjust for it.
Only reprogramming can do much to improve mileage, other than driving habits.
Thats what I said " CAI will do is allow less restrictive flow of air to the intake "
Old 08-10-2012, 03:50 PM
Banned

Vehicle: 2012 Ram 1500 Sport Crew Cab
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Mineral Gray
Rep:26
Miami Son is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asur View Post
Thats what I said " CAI will do is allow less restrictive flow of air to the intake "
The only way that is of any benefit is if the stock air filter setup was restrictive and choking off the engine. In stock configuration, that just isn't the case. The stock airbox is more than capable of flowing enough air to meet stock engine demand. Now, like I said earlier, if you change the flow characteristics of the engine to where it needs more air, then a CAI makes sense.
Old 08-10-2012, 04:13 PM

Trim Level: Express Quad Cab
Color: Deep Cherry Red
Rep:153
06 BigHorn has a spectacular aura about06 BigHorn has a spectacular aura about

Send me your CAI & I'll tell you if its junk for free.
Old 08-10-2012, 05:05 PM

Trim Level: ST express
Color: Mineral Grey
thunder98110 is on a distinguished road

i installed a KN cai the other day. pleased with it, more power over stock.

2012 RCSB, Hemi,3.92,2wd,Fastman TB,180tstat,K&N CAI,AeroTurbine 3030xl + Magnaflow Y,v6efan, LEER 100xl