DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > 2012 Dodge Ram Forum
Register Advertising Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

2012 Dodge Ram Forum For specific discussion of the 2012 Dodge Ram!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 08-10-2012, 06:30 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member

Vehicle: .
Rep:4371
Asur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miami Son View Post
The only way that is of any benefit is if the stock air filter setup was restrictive and choking off the engine. In stock configuration, that just isn't the case. The stock airbox is more than capable of flowing enough air to meet stock engine demand. Now, like I said earlier, if you change the flow characteristics of the engine to where it needs more air, then a CAI makes sense.
wow, your so right, sorry for indicating the wrong information, yup, stock airbox is the best, it wont help to have cold air or anything with less restriction like a less restricting air filter, or a box that will get cooler air from somewhere where cooler air is located like at the lower level of the front of the truck. His CAI is junk, so he should scrap it and chuck it in the garbage, and anyone else looking to buy one, should not, its all just junk.
Sponsored links
Old 08-10-2012, 06:36 PM

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: ST express
Color: Mineral Grey
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:14
thunder98110 is on a distinguished road

you must have missed what i posted.

i installed a KN cai the other day. pleased with it, more power over stock.

2012 RCSB, Hemi,3.92,2wd,Fastman TB,180tstat,K&N CAI,AeroTurbine 3030xl + Magnaflow Y,v6efan, LEER 100xl
Old 08-10-2012, 06:40 PM
Banned

Vehicle: 2012 Ram 1500 Sport Crew Cab
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Mineral Gray
Rep:26
Miami Son is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asur View Post
wow, your so right, sorry for indicating the wrong information, yup, stock airbox is the best, it wont help to have cold air or anything with less restriction like a less restricting air filter, or a box that will get cooler air from somewhere where cooler air is located like at the lower level of the front of the truck. His CAI is junk, so he should scrap it and chuck it in the garbage, and anyone else looking to buy one, should not, its all just junk.
Dude, your sarcasm is misplaced. I never said the stock airbox is best. I said that on a stock engine there is nothing to be gained by a CAI in terms of performance. There is not enough restriction in the stock airbox to affect a stock engine. There is no benefit in increasing the airflow of a stock airbox if the engine is incapable of using that increased airflow. You might see a tiny bit of benefit at high RPM, but how many people drive their trucks that way? Even then, it would only be measurable on a dyno or a racetrack, neither much help to those of us who don't visit either one. If your plans are to open up the exhaust (just throwing a Magnaflow on doesn't count) and doing some headwork or adding a better cam, then by all means don't ignore the airbox, but for someone planning to rock the stock engine the cost of a CAI is better spent elsewhere.
Old 08-10-2012, 06:48 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunder98110 View Post
you must have missed what i posted.

i installed a KN cai the other day. pleased with it, more power over stock.
I didn't miss anything. Did you look at the dyno charts that came with it? I defy anyone that says they can actually feel that little bit of difference (mostly at high RPM) by the seat of their pants. You would need an actual 25 or more horsepower difference to really feel a quantifiable performance increase. I've done this kind of performance testing for magazines I used to write for and have even used the K&N dyno at their CA facility many times. I'm not just talking off the top of my head. What you're feeling has more to do with the increased intake sound and the psychological effect of your purchase than any real increase from the CAI. But don't take my word for it. There's lots of companies that will gladly take your money to sell you a device that gives you 3-4 peak horsepower more and zero improvement in gas mileage or E.T.
Old 08-10-2012, 06:51 PM
Now 2012

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram 1500
Color: Deep Red Pearl
Rep:146
Ram11 will become famous soon enoughRam11 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by pogster View Post
Sounds familiar. The best thing to do is put the factory intake back on and test it yourself to eliminate the flood of opinions. Let us know how it goes.
I have too agree 100% do your own testing
Factory Fender Flare's... Smoked Rain Guard's... 8,000 Hid'... Zeta Body Side Molding... Painted Pinstripe... Dodge S/S Door Sills... S10 Bed Slide... Ghost Flames... Mopar Tonneau Cover... Mopar High Performance Exhaust... K and N Cold Air Intake...Bilstein 4600 Front Shocks.....Thunder Form enclosure Loaded with 2 10 Kenwood Subs,,
Old 08-10-2012, 06:58 PM

Vehicle: .
Rep:4371
Asur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miami Son View Post
Dude, your sarcasm is misplaced. I never said the stock airbox is best. I said that on a stock engine there is nothing to be gained by a CAI in terms of performance. There is not enough restriction in the stock airbox to affect a stock engine. There is no benefit in increasing the airflow of a stock airbox if the engine is incapable of using that increased airflow. You might see a tiny bit of benefit at high RPM, but how many people drive their trucks that way? Even then, it would only be measurable on a dyno or a racetrack, neither much help to those of us who don't visit either one. If your plans are to open up the exhaust (just throwing a Magnaflow on doesn't count) and doing some headwork or adding a better cam, then by all means don't ignore the airbox, but for someone planning to rock the stock engine the cost of a CAI is better spent elsewhere.

Installing a CAI can benefit the truck, Stock air filtration systems usually include Resonator-based muffling tubes. Most CAI will be Removing them this in turn reduces pumping losses but will increases engine noise. Most CAI will create less air turbulence and in so doing help with the flow of air to the engine. Many CAI also pick up the air from locations that have lower temperatures again aiding in engine combustion, some will also provide an intake duct so as to use the ram air effect to give positive pressure at speed. There are many reasons to get a CAI and your right in saying it cannot change the truck into a race car but over the long term it benefits the engine and is a fun mod to do, a cold air intake system will reduced air flow resistance. All of the pipes in this system have been polished and tuned to reduce air flow resistance. This reduces unwanted turbulence within the pipes which would otherwise reduce airflow into the engine. There are many ways to increase airflow into an engine. Turbochargers, superchargers, and cold air intakes all qualify in this category. Cold air intakes are the cheapest and easiest of the three to install. Cold air intakes also do not cause a major increase in fuel consumption. It is a cheap alternative when you don't have the time or money to invest in the engine modifications needed for the other systems. Add that up with a free flow exhaust you will benefit the engine of your truck., IMO most CAI will provide some fuel economy over the stock unit, but since they sound so great, and you feel that extra push in your pants, you end up many times putting the pedal to the floor, this in turn makes your economy go out the exhaust lmao

Last edited by Asur; 08-10-2012 at 07:06 PM.
Old 08-10-2012, 08:23 PM
Banned

Dude, you just keep missing the point. I'm not going to argue that a CAI does those things you used way too many words to tell us about. It does. What I am arguing is whether on a stock engine it makes any real difference. It doesn't. It only would if the stock airbox was incredibly inefficient. It isn't. Again, if your plan is to modify your engine then a CAI should be included, but for the majority of owners who probably won't then a CAI is a waste of money. When you look at the minimal gains against the amount of money a CAI costs, they just aren't worth it on their own. Period, time to move on.
Old 08-10-2012, 08:49 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Black
Rep:10
Fordconvert is on a distinguished road

I can tell you that in 1,000 miles with the cai, my mileage went down between 1-2 mpg, mostly noticeable at around 65 mph when I was pulling 19, now 17.3 on long hauls. No power gain I can feel, a slight improvement to sound. Not a mod I would do again. Figured by posting maybe I save someone else the money I wasted.
Old 08-10-2012, 10:27 PM
Just some guy in Canada

Vehicle: 2010 Ram 1500 QC
Color: Black
Rep:2581
brad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond repute

Converting from the Volant back to the stock CAI will only take about 30 minutes so I highly recommend you do that to find out once and for all. I will be very interested in your results as I also have a Volant CAI and really like the Donaldson filter that does not require replacement for a very long time and maintains a constant air flow restriction during it's life. What I don't particularly care for is the 'sound'. I would much prefer to hear my exhaust at WOT.

I wish I had a dyno at my disposal, or a race track close by so I could measure the difference (if any) between the factory and the Volant CAI. Although my butt dyno seems to think there is a difference, it is very subjective and has a history of inaccurate readings along with repeatability issues.

If I knew with absolute certainty that I was dealing with less then 5HP difference at WOT with my 91 tune, I would switch back to the factory CAI just so I don't have to listen to the Volant.

Interested in one of my mods?
If it's underlined, it's a link to that mods thread.

2010 Ram 1500 Hemi Sport, 3.92, Leather, NAV, Alpine, Sunroof, Trailer tow, Brake Contoller, Rear Cam
Mods - 3M clear protect, Decals removed, Electric Tailgate Lock, Tow Hooks, Skid Plates, Bed Rug, Pace Edwards Bedlocker Electric Tonneau, Timbren Rear SES, Tinted Tail Lights, Debadged, Grill Blacked Out, Shorty Antenna, Black Chromed Emblems, Lightly tinted front windows, DS Predator, Cabin Air Filter, K&N Drop In, Mufflex (Magnaflo) DOD24M, Sonnax line pressure booster, Volant CAI
Old 08-11-2012, 12:33 AM

Color: Tequila Sunrise Pearl
Rep:75
quills will become famous soon enough

OK not to get off topic but I was wondering what you guys think of the drop in K&N filters? I had one on my 98 Dakota and I had no complaints. Just wondering what your opinions are?