DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > 2012 Dodge Ram Forum

Notices

2012 Dodge Ram Forum For specific discussion of the 2012 Dodge Ram!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 08-11-2012, 01:20 AM
Banned

Vehicle: 2012 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Lone Star
Color: Black
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:34
Jchaney579 is on a distinguished road

I like turtles... You guys seem to be forgetting... K&N sticker adds 15 HP. You guys must not be putting yours on the back window???
Sponsored links
Old 08-11-2012, 01:51 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2012 dodge ram 1500 2x4
Trim Level: express
Color: white
Rep:134
hodgeee will become famous soon enoughhodgeee will become famous soon enough

Just my opinion, but I just put a volant intake with the donaldson filter, and a 14" Magnaflow muffler on the same day. Butt dyno right off the bat noticed, lighter throttle application all around, and after 3500rpm to shifting at 5500, the truck feels noticably more peppy, just a butt dyno comparison, but love how it sounds, and feels, and I noticed that the torque management is not as intrusive as once, before. I couldn't even chirp the tires originally, now I get a good squak off the line with a quick blip of the throttle, as of last, week, it would not do that!

I do notice I am on the gas more, but I have gotten the same mileage since last tank of gas. So no improvement in mileage, my fault for sure, but I would definately do it again. Very happy with my results.

I could be wrong, and it could all be in my head, but I have modded just about every vehicle I have ever bought, and have seen results at the track, that compare with what I have expected. Usually just a .1 to .2 second improvement in the 1/4 mile, but that is at least a whole car length faster at the end of an expressway ramp, or the difference of a win at the track! (these results are of typical intake and catback modifications only!)
BellTech 2/4 Street Performer, Spohn PanhandRod, Hellwig Sways, Volant Intake(Donaldson Filter), 85MM Fastman Throttle body, 14" Magnaflow, T1000 w/Hemifever Tune, 180 T-stat, 4.10 Gear Swap, Edge Street Perf - 2600 Stall, Billet Catch Can, E-Fan Swap, ARH LongTubes
Old 08-11-2012, 03:34 AM

Vehicle: 2012 Express
Trim Level: Express
Color: WHITE
Rep:902
oldhp is a splendid one to beholdoldhp is a splendid one to beholdoldhp is a splendid one to beholdoldhp is a splendid one to beholdoldhp is a splendid one to beholdoldhp is a splendid one to beholdoldhp is a splendid one to beholdoldhp is a splendid one to behold

All this is based on "IF" the stock airbox is restrictive. But at what RPM?
Crusing along at 65mph the biggest, and you can not change it, restriction is the butterfly in the throttle body. Its barely cracked open, so you are no where near the flow capacity of the stock system. That being said, if you are on the loud pedal alot, a more free flowing CAI "could" provide more usable HP, IF the engine physically could pump more air thur it. But that would take bigger cam, better flowing exhaust and most probably bigger throttlebody opening. Everything has to work as a package or it won't work like it should. Not trying to start any kind of a arguement here, but have been playing and learning for many years, never have seen one item bolted on a engine with no other modifications and it run noticeably better.
oldhp
Old 08-11-2012, 09:29 AM
Banned

Vehicle: 2012 Ram 1500 Sport Crew Cab
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Mineral Gray
Rep:26
Miami Son is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldhp View Post
All this is based on "IF" the stock airbox is restrictive. But at what RPM?
Crusing along at 65mph the biggest, and you can not change it, restriction is the butterfly in the throttle body. Its barely cracked open, so you are no where near the flow capacity of the stock system. That being said, if you are on the loud pedal alot, a more free flowing CAI "could" provide more usable HP, IF the engine physically could pump more air thur it. But that would take bigger cam, better flowing exhaust and most probably bigger throttlebody opening. Everything has to work as a package or it won't work like it should. Not trying to start any kind of a arguement here, but have been playing and learning for many years, never have seen one item bolted on a engine with no other modifications and it run noticeably better.
oldhp
This guy gets it (as do some others, I see).

To the guy that asked about the K&N drop-in, the best feature of that mod is replacing a disposable paper filter with a washable oiled fabric one.
Old 08-11-2012, 10:13 AM

Vehicle: 2012
Rep:13
pogster is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by quills View Post
OK not to get off topic but I was wondering what you guys think of the drop in K&N filters? I had one on my 98 Dakota and I had no complaints. Just wondering what your opinions are?
I've used them in the past and liked them for the sole reason I didn't have to buy another. They made no difference in fuel milage or performance.
Old 08-11-2012, 02:09 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2011 RAM 1500 SXT 4x4
Trim Level: SXT
Color: Wash everday black.
Engine: 2008-???? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:24
KWPartsGuy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miami Son View Post
I didn't miss anything. Did you look at the dyno charts that came with it? I defy anyone that says they can actually feel that little bit of difference (mostly at high RPM) by the seat of their pants. You would need an actual 25 or more horsepower difference to really feel a quantifiable performance increase. I've done this kind of performance testing for magazines I used to write for and have even used the K&N dyno at their CA facility many times. I'm not just talking off the top of my head. What you're feeling has more to do with the increased intake sound and the psychological effect of your purchase than any real increase from the CAI. But don't take my word for it. There's lots of companies that will gladly take your money to sell you a device that gives you 3-4 peak horsepower more and zero improvement in gas mileage or E.T.
I think I love you!
Old 08-11-2012, 03:01 PM

Vehicle: 2012 1500
Trim Level: SXT
Color: sagebrush green
Rep:15
Jaytwo is on a distinguished road

I am pretty sure that my KN CAI did nothing for performance. I knew that before I bought it though. Sounds nicer though. Put a 14" magnaflow on, and that is where I noticed a pick up on power, albeit not a considerable amount.
Old 08-11-2012, 03:04 PM

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: ST express
Color: Mineral Grey
Rep:14
thunder98110 is on a distinguished road

it pulls better hands down. fastman tb, kn intake, 180tstat v6efan, and muffler. pulls harder than stock.

2012 RCSB, Hemi,3.92,2wd,Fastman TB,180tstat,K&N CAI,AeroTurbine 3030xl + Magnaflow Y,v6efan, LEER 100xl
Old 08-11-2012, 04:17 PM

Vehicle: 2012 Express
Trim Level: Express
Color: WHITE
Rep:902
oldhp is a splendid one to beholdoldhp is a splendid one to beholdoldhp is a splendid one to beholdoldhp is a splendid one to beholdoldhp is a splendid one to beholdoldhp is a splendid one to beholdoldhp is a splendid one to beholdoldhp is a splendid one to behold

thunder98110, Yours probably does because it has somewhat of a complete performance package. Bigger intake opening, better flowing exhaust, cooler water temp works all together for better 1/2 to WOT performance, as it should.
Did your gas mileage stay the same as stock with cruise on at a steady speed?
oldhp
Old 08-11-2012, 04:23 PM

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: ST express
Color: Mineral Grey
Rep:14
thunder98110 is on a distinguished road

my driving is primarily city. I get about 320miles before the gas light comes on. dunno about highway yet.

2012 RCSB, Hemi,3.92,2wd,Fastman TB,180tstat,K&N CAI,AeroTurbine 3030xl + Magnaflow Y,v6efan, LEER 100xl