DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > Dodge Ram Detailing and General Maintenance Forum > Brakes

Notices

Brakes Brake Maintenance and Replacement

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 12-16-2014, 08:13 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: Express Quad Cab
Color: Black
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
fwpart is on a distinguished road
Default Technician Help - Brake Inspection

Hey all!

3,000 miles ago dealership said my front and rear brakes were in Yellow category on their Red, Yellow, Green grading scale. So I began preparing for a break job. Today got oil changed at another mechanic who told me the dealership was dead wrong. Said I have 6mm on front pads and 7mm on rear pads and rotors looked good. On a 1-10 scale, 1 = brand new and 10 = "Oh S^*T, replace, replace!" how do I interpret 6mm and 7mm left on the pads? Advice?

Thanks in advance
Sponsored links
Old 12-16-2014, 08:29 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Laramie
Rep:364
spoiler is just really nicespoiler is just really nicespoiler is just really nicespoiler is just really nice

A quick google search yielded this synopsis- I'm sure that the pad material is a factor but this a good guide.

Most brake pads are equipped with sensors built in to the brake pad material. When a brake pad that's 12 mm thick new wears to approximately 3 mm of pad life remaining, the metal sensor usually becomes exposed and makes contact with the disc. The resultant metal-on-metal contact causes squealing and may trigger an electronic sensor to display a warning light on newer vehicles. Either way, the brake pads themselves are worn to about 25% and will need replacement soon, depending on how brake-intensive your driving is. Gauge how many miles it took you to reach this point, and divide it by three to get a rough idea how much more time until ‘pad zero' is reached. At 3 mm thickness remaining, you've got a little time left. At 1 or 2 mm, it's time to schedule an appointment or order the parts to have at the ready for a specific future date if you're doing them yourself.

BTW- I am NOT a technician.
Old 12-17-2014, 08:53 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: Express Quad Cab
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
fwpart is on a distinguished road

Spoiler, Thanks for the quick google search. I did one too but must not have been entering the right info to get that specific of a result. Thank you for your efforts and this helps me. I might not be a technician - but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.