DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > 2010 Dodge Ram Forum

Notices

2010 Dodge Ram Forum For specific discussion of the new 2010 Dodge Ram!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 08-17-2012, 04:27 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member

Vehicle: 2014 Ram Crew Cab
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Granite Crystal Metallic
Rep:81
gregster will become famous soon enough

The key "in" the fob can be pulled straight out from the end of the fob (where the loop is for a keychain). Just slide the release tab over to the left and pull it out.
Old 08-17-2012, 08:25 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2010 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Not Black
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
faxxy is on a distinguished road

They look like this...

Old 08-18-2012, 12:17 AM

Vehicle: 2009 dodge Ram 1500 4x4
Trim Level: Laramie crew cab
Color: Grey
Rep:41
uktitus is on a distinguished road

I will go back to my experience and explain again. I have extra key which can be removed from the Fob I also have the same key which is not attached to the Fob or built into the Fob both these keys work to unlock the doors and tail gate and in my case also the ram boxes.The fob unlocks the doors and starts the truck as well as other electric functions it was designed for, it does not open the tail gate or the ram boxes.The only way i can start the truck is with the Fob.The other day I took the Fob apart to replace the battery but left the dismantled Fob in the truck and locked the truck with the key came back and unlocked with the key and the alarm went of and the only way to turn it of was put the Fob back together with the battery installed.My truck is a 2009 Laramie I don't know if the key arrangement has changed on later models or if some of the other models are not equipped with an alarm system, I would be surprised if the Fob started the truck without a functioning battery but I could be corrected on that.
Old 08-20-2012, 05:19 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Ram Crew Cab
Trim Level: Lone Star
Color: Mineral Gray
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:15
Kdubag is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkerr24 View Post
Tested and confirmed. The FOB will start the vehicle, even if the battery has been removed from the FOB.

To give myself some spare keys, I bought 2 chipped metal keys from a online reseller, took the keys to my Dodge dealer, who cut the keys to fit my locks and they programmed the key to start my truck.

Cost:

$20 for each key
$20 to cut/program them

The key will unlock the door/tailgate and will start and run the truck. The key has the same notch that the FOB has that allows it to fit in the ignition.

Darin
Where did you get these said keys? Do you have a link to the online dealer? This would be nice to have if I decide to get a viper or clifford remote start/security system for the truck. So I don't have to carry to bulky fobs.

**Nevermind. Picked up two from ebay at 13.xx a piece.

Last edited by Kdubag; 08-21-2012 at 11:04 AM. Reason: Found some.
Old 08-21-2012, 11:05 AM

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Dk Cherry Red
Rep:14
dkerr24 is on a distinguished road

ikeyless.com/dodge is where I found mine. They are the same key as the one pictured above in this thread.

Darin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kdubag View Post
Where did you get these said keys? Do you have a link to the online dealer? This would be nice to have if I decide to get a viper or clifford remote start/security system for the truck. So I don't have to carry to bulky fobs.

**Nevermind. Picked up two from ebay at 13.xx a piece.
Old 08-21-2012, 11:11 AM

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT
Color: White
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:1385
snrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud of

Just FYI, the key fob doesn't even have to be in the ignition, just close by. The ignition somehow senses the key fob(hence it has to be programmed correctly for your truck) and then when you turn the ignition it starts and runs. You can actually just hold the fob near the ignition and stick your finger in the ignition and turn it with your finger and it will work.

For those that leave a key fob in the truck(dead battery or not) someone could break your window, put the fob in the ignition and drive away. Battery isn't required in the fob.

The metal key inside the key fob is for if the battery in the fob dies and you can't unlock your doors electronically.

Breathing in and out is good enough for me.
Old 08-22-2012, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snrusnak View Post
Just FYI, the key fob doesn't even have to be in the ignition, just close by. The ignition somehow senses the key fob(hence it has to be programmed correctly for your truck) and then when you turn the ignition it starts and runs. You can actually just hold the fob near the ignition and stick your finger in the ignition and turn it with your finger and it will work.

For those that leave a key fob in the truck(dead battery or not) someone could break your window, put the fob in the ignition and drive away. Battery isn't required in the fob.

The metal key inside the key fob is for if the battery in the fob dies and you can't unlock your doors electronically.
I must apologize I just tried the Fob without the battery and the truck started right up. I don't know if that is good to know or not?
Old 08-22-2012, 04:19 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT
Color: White
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:1385
snrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud of

Yeah you don't need to have a battery in the fob to start the truck. The battery in the fob is only to use the remote control(lock/unlock the doors from 20ft away, etc).

That's why I said it's not a good idea to leave a fob in the truck even without a battery, as someone could break the window and simply drive away with the fob in the ignition.

I believe it is the same type of technology used in the new epass/sunpass/ezpass (whatever) things that they stick on your wind shield(with no battery) to pay tolls, so you can keep driving without stopping and it automatically pays it from your bank account. The sticker on the wind shield has no battery but somehow the thing that sends a signal recognizes it and identifies it.

Breathing in and out is good enough for me.
Old 08-22-2012, 04:38 PM

I have to say I was very surprised. Where I was when I put the new battery in I think was pretty safe from the truck being stolen. Somewhere else defiantly a different matter.
Old 08-22-2012, 05:03 PM

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 2X4
Trim Level: quad cab SLT
Color: sunburst orange pearl
Rep:2616
GTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond repute

the FOB is for remotely starting or unlocking your vehicle
it also sets the ALARM
without the FOB someone could enter your vehicle by whatever means, steal everything in it, but supposedly they can't start the vehicle & drive it away
take a penlight & look into where your FOB fits into the ignition, there is really nothing there
The little release mechanisms used to break off inside there, the manufacturer had to do a recall on many ignitions, when they first started using the FOBS
Ram 1500 SLT Quad cab, 5.7 HEMI(R) MDS VCT, 5 speed auto 545RFE, 3.55 differential gears, 18" Magnaflow muffler, EGR bug deflector, Bushwacker fender flares, customized Nfab nerf bars, CB radio, Autonet wi-fi router, custom soft tonneau cover, Line_X bedliner, DEBO Step, build date 10/15/08 a Wednesday built vehicle