DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > 2011 Dodge Ram Forum

Notices

2011 Dodge Ram Forum For specific discussion of the 2011 Dodge Ram!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 08-17-2012, 02:11 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: sport
Color: black
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
goingcrazy is on a distinguished road
Default transmission issue or ????

As some people may know I put my '11 Ram Sport in a ditch full of water. 4 feet of water to be honest. The water wasn't the issue as much as the hour it sat there waiting to be pulled out. Water did make its way in the cab as I had about an inch of water on the driver side front and back. Under floor compartment was full of water. Dealer charged $3008.16 for repairs and now I THINK I have a transmission issue.

Most of the repairs were fluid flushes. Trans, transfercase, both diffs and brakes were flushed. Now when I'm cruising down the road at any speed and let off the gas it feels like the trans is in a lower gear. You can almost feel the truck slow down like I'm on the brakes. If you aren't expecting it you get a little of a jolt forward because it drops speed so fast. It has done this twice with me and once with my brother. No codes and dealer says everything is fine. I don't buy it though.

Has anyone who hasn't submerged their truck in water had an issue like this?
Sponsored links
Old 08-17-2012, 02:27 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2011 Power Wagon
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Black
Rep:256
battlerattle is a jewel in the roughbattlerattle is a jewel in the roughbattlerattle is a jewel in the rough

My insurance company automatically totals flood/submersions, to many headaches. I think you are in for a long fight with this one. Good luck!
Old 08-17-2012, 02:40 AM

Yeah, I have Geico and he said if the water was up to the dash they total without even looking at it for the very reasons you mentioned.

I hope that I don't have issues but if I do then I will trade this one in when I get to the end of my rope with it. I still love my truck but I refuse to put up with issues when I pay so much for insurance that is suppose to fix it. I already came to the decision that I will never deal with the local Dodge dealer ever again. I would rather pay a $600 tow bill to have it towed to Phoenix or Tucson first.
Old 08-17-2012, 06:32 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram 1500 QC 4wd
Trim Level: Express
Color: Deep Cherry Red Crystal Pearl
Rep:69
jacksonsnorth will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by goingcrazy View Post
Yeah, I have Geico and he said if the water was up to the dash they total without even looking at it for the very reasons you mentioned.

I hope that I don't have issues but if I do then I will trade this one in when I get to the end of my rope with it. I still love my truck but I refuse to put up with issues when I pay so much for insurance that is suppose to fix it. I already came to the decision that I will never deal with the local Dodge dealer ever again. I would rather pay a $600 tow bill to have it towed to Phoenix or Tucson first.
That sux man, but your right in changing dealerships if you have any doubts. Make sure you let them know your planning the move if they dont figure out your problem. This can sometimes put them on the move to get your rig fixed because your service after the sale is what makes them money and ensures repeat customers. In my mind, service after the sale is what makes me go back when I trade. Good luck man.
Old 08-17-2012, 07:00 AM

Vehicle: N/A
Rep:350
TransEngineer is just really niceTransEngineer is just really niceTransEngineer is just really niceTransEngineer is just really nice

I suspect you may be noticing the decel fuel shut off, where engine fueling is shut off when you are coasting down. This saves fuel, but it does put a noticeable drag on the vehicle.

I presume that if you shift to Neutral it smooths out?

Easiest way to verify whether it's in a lower gear is to tap the ERS (-) switch as you're coasting down. That will display the current gear in the instrument cluster. You can then tap it down a notch and see what a lower gear feels like. But it wouldn't surprise me if you're just noticing the decel fuel shut off.
Old 08-17-2012, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TransEngineer View Post
I suspect you may be noticing the decel fuel shut off, where engine fueling is shut off when you are coasting down. This saves fuel, but it does put a noticeable drag on the vehicle.

I presume that if you shift to Neutral it smooths out?

Easiest way to verify whether it's in a lower gear is to tap the ERS (-) switch as you're coasting down. That will display the current gear in the instrument cluster. You can then tap it down a notch and see what a lower gear feels like. But it wouldn't surprise me if you're just noticing the decel fuel shut off.

I hope you are correct. I actually thought about down shifting it the first time I felt it just to see what gear it went into. I'm wondering if maybe it is in a lower gear then normal and just happens to be "engine braking" or whatever it's called now. The first time I felt it I was cruising at 45 mph and came up on a 35 zone so I left off the gas and noticed it. I wonder if it just hadn't shifted to a higher gear for 45 and I left off before the shift?

Either way I will tap the shifter to see where it's at the next time.
Old 08-21-2012, 04:13 PM

Vehicle: 2014 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Granite
Rep:25
RedDodge is on a distinguished road

When my truck was brand new if I let off the gas and the truck dropped below 50mph it would downshift by itself. At first the dealer said this was normal but when my brother's truck didn't have the same thing they looked into it deeper. In the end there was a new "flash" for the computer that fixed this. My truck was built a few months before my brothers so they had already made the fix on his.

So my point to this story is maybe your computer needs to be "flashed" again to bring it up to spec's. Maybe something when they first did the work restored old codes in your computer.... just a thought.

Mods: Tinted front windows, UnderCover tonneau bed cover, step rails, bed mat, cabin air filter, 4 corner mud flaps, slush mats, drop in K&N filter.
Old 08-21-2012, 06:26 PM

Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Deep Cherry Red Crystal Pearl
Engine: 2009-2012 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:33
doug713 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedDodge View Post
So my point to this story is maybe your computer needs to be "flashed" again to bring it up to spec's. Maybe something when they first did the work restored old codes in your computer.... just a thought.
Exactly what I was going to suggest in reading this thread.
Old 08-21-2012, 09:11 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2014 Ram Sport
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Maximum Steel Metallic
Rep:910
primo spaghetti is a splendid one to beholdprimo spaghetti is a splendid one to beholdprimo spaghetti is a splendid one to beholdprimo spaghetti is a splendid one to beholdprimo spaghetti is a splendid one to beholdprimo spaghetti is a splendid one to beholdprimo spaghetti is a splendid one to beholdprimo spaghetti is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedDodge View Post
When my truck was brand new if I let off the gas and the truck dropped below 50mph it would downshift by itself. At first the dealer said this was normal but when my brother's truck didn't have the same thing they looked into it deeper. In the end there was a new "flash" for the computer that fixed this. My truck was built a few months before my brothers so they had already made the fix on his.

ive said this a million times to to other guys, and i mean no disrespect by it..i look at it as a compliment actually, but i love it...you're just like me, astout. my mechanic friend calls me the "ever since " guy. i know how you feel, ever since you were in the ditch, you now notice this "new" problem.

rest assuered my friend, I had the flash done to mine too...problem gone, and no water full of ditch for me...it just always did it.

search the posts, i think there is a TSB on it. it will help your arguement at the dealer.
2014 Dodge Ram 4X4 Sport, BakFlip F1 cover, Weathertech DigiFit Liners, BedRug bed mat, PIAA Extreme White Fog Bulbs, ProComp 2.5" / 1.5" Nitro Level Lift, Zone Off Road Upper Control Arms, ProComp 5050 20" -12 offset, MT Deagan 38 35x12.5.20, iron Cross Step Bars, DeeZee Tail Gate Strut

I am the heir to the primo spaghetti sauce fortune!

Last edited by primo spaghetti; 08-21-2012 at 09:14 PM.
Old 08-22-2012, 04:17 AM

After reading the last few posts it dawned on me that every time I take it to the dealer the MyGig settings are all changed and something is different about my truck. Now that I think about it, it's like it gets flashed every time I go in.

I know for a fact that it has been flashed twice in the last year. How often do they have updates for these trucks?