DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > 2010 Dodge Ram Forum

Notices

2010 Dodge Ram Forum For specific discussion of the new 2010 Dodge Ram!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 08-19-2012, 12:39 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2012 Sport Reg Cab 4x4
Trim Level: Sport Reg Cab
Color: Mineral Gray Metallic
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:186
rdsabin has a spectacular aura aboutrdsabin has a spectacular aura about
Default Stealership tries to strike again!!!

Well after much thought I decided to get rid of my Ram 1500 4x4 Crew Cab Big Horn. I check NADA, KBB and Black Book and they all came up at 27,600 -27,900 on the high end since I have only 7100 miles on the truck. I just don't trust this thing especially since they had to replace the PIMD at 6500 miles.

Anyway I contacted 4 different dealers in the area two contacted me and they tried to tell me that my truck is only worth 24,500. The one said this was higher than KBB for excellent condition. Needless to say that I told him "You are lying and that if you want I will show you on your internet connection that you are full of it". He was not pleasant to talk to after that. Oh well there loss. The owner came out and wanted me to go back and I advised no way, I know what KBB says mine is worth and if I can't get 27,000 then I can continue to drive it. It should be noted I own the truck outright. So it is not that I am upside down like a lot of people today trying to buy vehicles. My truck looks like it just came out of the show room and I expect a fair price.

I have contacted a couple of other dealers and will see what they have to say. I would like to get a new 2012 RT or Sport loaded with trailer tow, brake controller,skid plates and tow hooks, backup camera and NAV 730n I believe. Tow mirrors and adjustable pedals.

With the current rebates and incentives you can get a 40,000 down close to 30,000 to 32,000 depending on options. You can the RT even cheaper. However they all seem to want to screw you on your trade based on there giving rebates and other incentives to move the 12's.

Thanks for letting me vent.
Sponsored links
Old 08-19-2012, 01:13 PM

Vehicle: 2012 Ram
Trim Level: Sport Crewcab
Color: True Blue Pearl
Rep:248
LeftCoast has a spectacular aura aboutLeftCoast has a spectacular aura aboutLeftCoast has a spectacular aura about

Its unfortunate, but with the price incentives that dealerships are giving these days the Rams do lose a bit of value, quick. I plan on keeping mine for a very long time, so that wasn't an issue, but to trade in a 2 (almost 3) year old truck, ya the dealership will try to make as much as possible on the trade.

Good for you on knowing your facts and figures before going in. At least you have that advantage. I heard talking to the fleet manager over the sales manger might be a good idea too. I hear that the fleet manager's are just looking to move vehicles, whereas the sales managers are all about the money.
Old 08-19-2012, 02:39 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2012 dodge ram
Trim Level: express
Color: cherry red
Rep:20
redramsrule is on a distinguished road

when i bought my ram they told me same thing about my silvrado. low trade because of rebate.problem i had with that is ram had even bigger rebate. took a few days but we worked it out.hold your ground and get what you want for your trade
Old 08-19-2012, 04:27 PM

Vehicle: 2012 2500 4x4 Crew
Trim Level: Bighorn
Color: Silver
Rep:11
Mophead is on a distinguished road

Suggestion... Find a truck you want to buy. Get the price on the truck. Do not mention or devulge whether you are financing, trading or anything until you've got what you want price wise. Let them assume if they want you are trading, financing, buying and extended warranty. Negotiate one thing at a time. I wouldn't shop trade in, especially first thing. Just my experiences, hope it helps.
Old 08-19-2012, 04:29 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2010 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Not Black
Rep:10
faxxy is on a distinguished road

I let them finish their sales pitch, and slide the piece of paper in front of me with their price to sign, I scratched out their price, wrote in my own. Then I scratched out the $1,600 they wanted to give me for my trade in and wrote in $3000.

The sales guys jaw dropped and he went and got his boss. The boss started a sales pitch and I stopped him and told him that if he couldn't do what I was asking, to let me know right then so we didn't waste any more time. He told me there was no way I was going home with the truck for that price, so I gathered up my kids and left.

20 minutes later they called me on my cell.

I drove the truck home that night for exactly what I told them I would pay.

When you go to buy a car, remember three things..

#1. They need the sale much worse than you need the buy. They have competition. You do not.

#2 (and this applies to real estate agents too) They work for you! They are your employees. If the sales guy can't (or won't) do what you want him to, you fire his ass and go next door to his competition. Never feel bad about making your salesman (agent) work for your money. You had to work for it, why shouldn't he? Let him show you several cars, but don't feel like you are obligated to buy the first or second car just because your taking up your salesman's time.

#3. They have a LOT of wiggle room. They have what they spent on the car, plus enough for the dealership, the boss, and the salesman all to get a cut. That's a lot of profit and a lot of room for you to negotiate.

My last three cars have been bought for about 2/3 of sticker price.
Old 08-19-2012, 05:22 PM

Vehicle: 2012 2500 Mega 4x4 Laramie
Color: White
Rep:73
Bikenut will become famous soon enough

Trading in at the dealership is always the worst way to go for trade in value. You can't be mad at them for low balling you, they're in the business for the money and have to put time/money/effort into processing that vehicle for resale. And ya, they want to make a profit on that process. When we go to buy a new truck, our intention is to get it for the least amount as possible and don't care if they only make a couple hundred buck on a 30-50 Thousand dollar vehicle so it works both ways.

Take the time to sell it yourself private party if you want to get the most back out of it or pay them for the convenience.

I made an extra FIVE THOUSAND over trade in value selling my last truck private party after I bought my Ram. I hate doing it, but That's worth it.

Retro-Soutions 55W HIDs - Firestone 5K Airbags -
18" Magnaflow - integrated electric tailgate lock and EZ-Down kit - Cabin air filter retrofit - $79 Catch Can - KORE leveling kit and Bilsteins front and rear
Old 08-20-2012, 10:16 AM

Default Stealership Strikes again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikenut View Post
They're in the business for the money and have to put time/money/effort into processing that vehicle for resale. And ya, they want to make a profit on that process. Take the time to sell it yourself private party if you want to get the most back out of it or pay them for the convenience.

I made an extra FIVE THOUSAND over trade in value selling my last truck private party after I bought my Ram. I hate doing it, but That's worth it.
That is very true if you live in or close to a metro area, however when you live out in the sticks like here private party is a crap shoot. I am in no hurry and have purchased new vehicles ever since 1973 when I came back from VN. I have never paid MSRP. I agree they need to make $$$ but they don't need to make over 3-4 thousand on each trade and then get the rebates from Chrysler to boot and the other incentives, Military, Loyalty, Financing and Extra Cash that they are offering.

I firmly believe they should make and have alway dealt that way, however the New Manager of this dealership, been using since 1973, doesn't operate the way that they used to. He tries to steal every trade, since they do not come close to Book either on low or high end. They are right on the prices of selling the new vehicles but if you have a trade you are more than likely going to get screwed. I am working with 3 other dealers at the moment and will see where it goes, as I do not have to trade or buy. As I said before I just don't trust my Ram and it is missing a few options I would prefer. No loss if I don't get a new one either as I only drive the Ram typically in the winter, otherwise I take the Super Bee out if I need to go somewhere.
Old 08-20-2012, 09:12 PM

Vehicle: 2012 2500 Mega 4x4 Laramie
Color: White
Rep:73
Bikenut will become famous soon enough

Do you have Carmax anywhere near you? I've done good with them in the past selling them a car but the last time I tried they were as low as the dealership. Anyway, if you have one within reasonable distance, it's quick and free to see what they'll buy your vehicle for...
GL

Retro-Soutions 55W HIDs - Firestone 5K Airbags -
18" Magnaflow - integrated electric tailgate lock and EZ-Down kit - Cabin air filter retrofit - $79 Catch Can - KORE leveling kit and Bilsteins front and rear
Old 08-21-2012, 02:11 PM

No Biknut nothing like that around here within 100 miles. Like I said I live in the boonies nothing out here but cows and fields. Biggest town around is about 20,000 people. Not much of a market like big cities.
Old 09-03-2012, 01:23 PM
"Just living the dream"

Vehicle: 2013 Dodge Ram Longhorn
Trim Level: Longhorn Rambox
Color: Prairie Pearl / White Gold Trim
Rep:1634
Chunkem has a brilliant futureChunkem has a brilliant futureChunkem has a brilliant futureChunkem has a brilliant futureChunkem has a brilliant futureChunkem has a brilliant futureChunkem has a brilliant futureChunkem has a brilliant futureChunkem has a brilliant futureChunkem has a brilliant futureChunkem has a brilliant future

Keep us updated and please let us know how you make out.......

Enjoy RamForumZ? Support your forum and become a SITE SUPPORTER today!

Please be sure you understand the Ram ForumZ RULES

"MOST OF ALL HAVE FUN AND ENJOY THE SITE"