DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > Dodge Ram Detailing and General Maintenance Forum > Washing & Waxing
Register Advertising Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Washing & Waxing Washing and Waxing your Dodge Ram! Talk about it here!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 08-19-2012, 10:48 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram Sport
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Black
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:47
GhostR1der is on a distinguished road

Well they have two type of sealents. Machine super sealent last for 4+ months and quick sealent which you spray on and wipe off. It last for several months but on a black truck I find it a pain to get it even. You can see anything on black so it's hard to not see things. I have a routine that I do and break it down to steps. I clean almost everything on the truck in a few hours.
Sponsored links
Old 08-19-2012, 10:52 PM

Buy the machine super sealent and the pad combo. It's the black pad if I recall correctly and then just watch the video's and get to work. I would clay bar first though. Also make sure you strip wash so the sealent bonds straight to the paint. You spread it on, wait 30 minutes or so until it hazes up and then remove with a soft microfiber towell. Wait 12-24 hours for the sealent to cure and then apply your wax. You out the porter cable on speed 2 to spread the sealent.
Old 08-19-2012, 11:02 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT
Color: White
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:1385
snrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud of

Thanks for all the info. Will think about it tonight and probably buy that polisher and the sealant tomorrow evening.

Breathing in and out is good enough for me.
Old 08-20-2012, 04:05 AM

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram
Color: Dark Red Cherry
Rep:201
audio1der has a spectacular aura aboutaudio1der has a spectacular aura aboutaudio1der has a spectacular aura about

Zaino is REALLY tough to beat. After some reading, it the easiest to apply & buff, lasts the longest lasting sealant I've tried (and I have several Rubbermaid storage containers of sealants & waxes).
On top of how long it lasts, you can layer it without removing the preious layer, adding protection. Most waxes and some polished usually remove the previous layer, leaving you with 1 coat at most.
A major advantage is you can apply in direct sunlight, even to a warm surface; a major advantage if you don't have access to a garage.

It smells good enough to eat on toast (a silly thing, but if you've ever tried Nu-Finish you know how bad some can smell, although its great for rims), and just SUPER easy to use. I only stopped using it because I didn't care for the way it made my paint look, like UBER-shiny plastic.
Old 08-20-2012, 07:55 AM

snrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud of

^the zaino, which product is the sealant? I couldn't figure it out since they name their products weird.

Old 08-20-2012, 07:49 PM

Vehicle: 2014 Dodge Ram 8 Speed 3.92
Color: Deep Cherry Red Crystal Peral
Rep:95
Jayincali will become famous soon enough

For the price and product, there are far better products than Adams. I know, I know Adams is awesome. I used to be a Adams fan boy back in the day when Adam lived in So Cal, would be at his warehouse in Gardena a day or two out of the week hanging out, helping detail, checking out products and how they work etc. Then opened my eyes to the rest of the detailing world.

OP the products you listed are very well know and great products, Wolfgang is one of the more popular ones. Also check out 4 Star UPP (Ultimate Paint protection), or Optimum Opti Seal. If you really want a good protectant, try Optimum Opti Coat, it’s a "permanent" paint sealant and will last far longer than a year or two. If you go that route, you will need a full complete detail as everything left behind will be trapped under the coating. So I would clay, polish to remove swirls, then non cut polish to remove any micro marring and enhance the depth and gloss, then IPA wipe down to make sure everything is removed from the finish, then Opti Seal.

You can of course top all the products with a wax if you like. Will make your sealant last a lil longer. Collinite 845 is pretty damn awesome.

The reason for a machine polish is the product will breakdown when using the machine due to some heat, pressure on the pad and the speed it works the product onto the paint. As for a machine wax, humm nothing really as you don't need to break the wax down for it to work like a polish does. Just speeds up the process and lays down a more uniform layer of product.

If you only just wash a couple times a year, I would pass on the PC as you won't realy use it. A PC is more for paint correction, polishing etc. If you just wash and wax, no need for it.

Check this, or this for products listed above.

JMO and .02

Last edited by Jayincali; 08-20-2012 at 07:55 PM.
Old 08-20-2012, 08:38 PM

I'm not saying Adams is end all be all. I young in my detailing experience so I was put on to it and it's so simple to use. When I gain more knowledge and experience I might move on to new products but for now it's adams all the way.
Old 08-20-2012, 09:04 PM

Vehicle: 1998 Dodge Dakota
Color: Red
Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
Rep:276
Leadfootluke is a jewel in the roughLeadfootluke is a jewel in the roughLeadfootluke is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by snrusnak View Post
Thanks for all the advice. I'm not really looking for shortcuts, just that I very rarely wash my cars, and want to apply something that will last and protect.

When I wash my truck it takes me all day(realistically like 5 hours....but feels like all day lol) just to wash it, clean the wheels and tires, and vacuum and clean the interior. That doesn't count applying a wax or sealant. When I do it though I am thorough, I do door jambs, under the rockers, under the mud spats, etc.

Personally I don't think I need to clay bar for the sealant to bond, but maybe I'm wrong. I don't want to pay someone to do the work, I don't trust others to not damage my stuff.

The adams stuff looks good. I don't really understand why it has to be applied with a polisher though, if I do it by hand will it really not work? Maybe I could just buy a polisher and safe some time and labor.
You do have to clay the surface, it makes a huge difference believe it or not.

Especially with a sealant which requires utterly bare paint to bond to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by snrusnak View Post
Thanks for all the info. Will think about it tonight and probably buy that polisher and the sealant tomorrow evening.
Woh there seabiscuit. Adam's is middle of the pack at best for the price and quality. Their polisher is definitely way too expensive and their sealant is nothing special. Look into Griots polisher or the HD polisher. Both are cheaper [most of the time] and significantly more powerful. Most of the sealant listed in the first post are great options. Wolfgang, Menzerna, Blackfire, Collinite, Zaino, HD Poxy, as well as many others can be applied by hand and allowed to cure and remove with great ease. No need to use a machine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayincali View Post
For the price and product, there are far better products than Adams. I know, I know Adams is awesome. I used to be a Adams fan boy back in the day when Adam lived in So Cal, would be at his warehouse in Gardena a day or two out of the week hanging out, helping detail, checking out products and how they work etc. Then opened my eyes to the rest of the detailing world.

OP the products you listed are very well know and great products, Wolfgang is one of the more popular ones. Also check out 4 Star UPP (Ultimate Paint protection), or Optimum Opti Seal. If you really want a good protectant, try Optimum Opti Coat, it’s a "permanent" paint sealant and will last far longer than a year or two. If you go that route, you will need a full complete detail as everything left behind will be trapped under the coating. So I would clay, polish to remove swirls, then non cut polish to remove any micro marring and enhance the depth and gloss, then IPA wipe down to make sure everything is removed from the finish, then Opti Seal.

You can of course top all the products with a wax if you like. Will make your sealant last a lil longer. Collinite 845 is pretty damn awesome.

The reason for a machine polish is the product will breakdown when using the machine due to some heat, pressure on the pad and the speed it works the product onto the paint. As for a machine wax, humm nothing really as you don't need to break the wax down for it to work like a polish does. Just speeds up the process and lays down a more uniform layer of product.

If you only just wash a couple times a year, I would pass on the PC as you won't realy use it. A PC is more for paint correction, polishing etc. If you just wash and wax, no need for it.

Check this, or this for products listed above.

JMO and .02
This post is excellent. Expanding horizons beyond the blinders is an eye opening experience. I do use some Adam's products, but Optimums Power Clean, Opti-Seal, Car Wax, Car Wash, Poli-seal, AND Opticoat have all made their way into my collection. Collinite waxes, P21S products, Klasse, Meguiars Professional and Detailers line, Mirror Glaze polishes M105/205/101 D300, Menz 85rd, etc have all found their place as well. I've tried most brands on the market and as easy as it is to gravitated towards one brand, that really prevents you from seeing the best available.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostR1der View Post
I'm not saying Adams is end all be all. I young in my detailing experience so I was put on to it and it's so simple to use. When I gain more knowledge and experience I might move on to new products but for now it's adams all the way.
And Adam's works great. It is not for most professional detailers or people who have a budget. If you want simple and easy, Adams is the right option. They make their products idiot proof, and inherently, they aren't as strong or near as good as their competitors in many respects.
Old 08-20-2012, 09:19 PM

Vehicle: 1998 Dodge Dakota
Color: Red
Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
Rep:276
Leadfootluke is a jewel in the roughLeadfootluke is a jewel in the roughLeadfootluke is a jewel in the rough

I feel kinda stupid posting without some credentials. Here are a few threads of details I have done.

2002 Silverado Opticoat

2012 Kia Soul Opticoat

HD SPEED Detail

Personal Vehicle with Optimum Products

2006 Dodge Charger with Wolfgang Sealant

1971 Chevy Cheyenne

1967 Plymouth Satellite

2005 Dodge Magnum RT

Trim Test Thread

I've detailed anything from a C5 Corvette to a dozen minivans with trucks and cars in between. It's just a hobby but once you get sucked in it's a heck of a lot of fun. And that's something I learned from the Junkman and the Adam's forum. Even though I do use some products from them I have tried the alternative and kept what I liked and use what works for me. That's some of the best advice I have been given as well, find what works and use it.

Last edited by Leadfootluke; 08-20-2012 at 09:21 PM.
Old 08-20-2012, 10:05 PM

I appreciate all the info.

Seems to me if I ask 10 people what the best product is I'll get 10 different answers(just like best oil, best gas, best tires, etc...).

If I can avoid buying a machine I'd love to save the money. Maybe I will do the clay bar if it's really necessary. What sealant product do you think would be best to apply by hand(wolfgang?.....seems very popular).

I'm also very interested in the Optimum Opti Seal "permanent" stuff. Could this be done by hand?