DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 4.7 Liter V8

Notices

Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 4.7 Liter V8 Discuss modifying your Dodge Ram with Performance Parts and Accessories!
Factory Spec: 4.7-liter V8 engine - 310 horsepower, 330 lb-ft of torque.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 09-12-2012, 02:17 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2008 DODGE RAM
Trim Level: ST
Color: LIGHT KHAKI METALLIC CODE -PJC
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:10
hemiluv54 is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up $60 a pony ?

Just paid $44.95 for 8-10 rwhp @ AIR RAM PERFORMANCE ask Nick for the power wire.This guy knows how to get real power out of a 4.7 if that's what engine you run.
Sponsored links
Old 09-12-2012, 02:21 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT
Color: White
Rep:1385
snrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud of

I hate to tell you but the power wire does nothing for adding power. Nick is a great guy but that product doesn't work like he says. It is just a resistor that alters the input voltage from the intake air temperature sensor to the pcm, causing the engine to run slightly richer. This messes up the a/f ratio, not adding power. More fuel does not mean more power, common mistake. Also, since the pcm goes into open loop mode at wide open throttle it will ignore the intake air temperature sensor when you are flooring it, so it will do absolutely nothing when you want it to the most.

EDIT: I just want to clarify that I'm not against Nick or airram, he is a great and knowledgable guy and has a great company with a lot to offer. Just not the power wire IMO.

Breathing in and out is good enough for me.
Old 09-12-2012, 03:18 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Default Just want more power

Sean your absolutely rite texting while driving is just stupid.yea i wondered about cheating the ecm by the resistor you mentioned and i am gonna try it for a while to see if it actually works but i have to question the theory about more fuel equal less power at w.o.t. i run a lot of performance parts on the 4.7H.O. and am foot to the floor alot. i have a airaid mxp and that puts plenty of oxygen to the manifold and eventully to the heads.i kinda decided against headers for a few reasons like i mentioned b4. cost,heat,they don't make them for the 2008 etc.your rite Nick knows his stuff when it comes to the 4.7. your lucky you live in florida that's where AIR RAM is as im sure you know.
Old 09-12-2012, 03:30 PM

snrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud of

Quote:
Sean your absolutely rite texting while driving is just stupid.

Quote:
i have to question the theory about more fuel equal less power at w.o.t. i run a lot of performance parts on the 4.7H.O. and am foot to the floor alot. i have a airaid mxp and that puts plenty of oxygen to the manifold and eventully to the heads.
If you only add more fuel you are richening the a/f ratio, and this doesn't add power. Actually usually a leaner a/f ratio will make more power(hence the term lean is mean). The pcm controls the a/f ratio taking feedback from the sensors and will adjust fuel injector pulse width(how much fuel is sprayed) to keep the a/f ratio as close to stoich as possible which is technically 14.7:1 but actually richer on cars for some reason. I think it's normally in the 12's on a stock engine for whatever reason. If you use a tuner to change the a/f ratio then yes more fuel(AND air) will add more power. But adding more fuel without adding more air will give a richer a/f ratio and not add more power. It probably would actually decrease power IMO. The key is to increase fuel AND air proportionally, to get more air and fuel while keeping proper a/f ratio.

I mean I've never used the power wire or dynod before/after or anything but from my understanding of obdII fuel injection it won't do any good. If anything, it'd reduce power slightly.

Last edited by snrusnak; 09-12-2012 at 03:33 PM.
Old 09-15-2012, 06:56 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Cool Power wire ?

SNRUSNAK if your still hanging around this post you were rite strait up that p**** w*** don't work. i could tell just like you said it was running way to rich just by the smell (stench) of my exhaust.thanks for the heads up man.after all isn't that why were all here-to help one another.one minute to install that p.o.s. 10 seconds to get the engine back to normal.thanks again.The seller is a very good 4.7 builder but he should pull that product.w.t.f. for $45 it only hurt a little.DODGE 4EVER.
Old 09-15-2012, 08:11 PM

Hey man yeah Nick is great I'm not sure why he sells that product...

It's good to get feedback from you like this because I know a lot of time I can come off like a know it all, but I'm just putting my understanding of how it works to use. It's good to see real results that confirm that.

Old 09-19-2012, 01:55 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Red face U know what you know

Thanks again for the heads up. Even einstien said no one could possibly know everything.you knew that particular part did not function as advertised and explained it in terms that i could understand and you were rite. My truck runs a lot better because of it and i appericiate that.
Old 09-23-2012, 09:44 AM

Vehicle: 2008 4.7l Dodge Ram
Color: Graphite Grey
Engine: 2008-???? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
4pnt7 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by snrusnak View Post

If you only add more fuel you are richening the a/f ratio, and this doesn't add power. Actually usually a leaner a/f ratio will make more power(hence the term lean is mean). The pcm controls the a/f ratio taking feedback from the sensors and will adjust fuel injector pulse width(how much fuel is sprayed) to keep the a/f ratio as close to stoich as possible which is technically 14.7:1 but actually richer on cars for some reason. I think it's normally in the 12's on a stock engine for whatever reason. If you use a tuner to change the a/f ratio then yes more fuel(AND air) will add more power. But adding more fuel without adding more air will give a richer a/f ratio and not add more power. It probably would actually decrease power IMO. The key is to increase fuel AND air proportionally, to get more air and fuel while keeping proper a/f ratio.

I mean I've never used the power wire or dynod before/after or anything but from my understanding of obdII fuel injection it won't do any good. If anything, it'd reduce power slightly.
the power wire only works at wot. If your running lean you want to richin it up little. but it also only work when iat temps are hotter then normal. 14:7 a/f is usually at idle and cruising. You don't want that at wot. You want it 12:7 -13:2 to make power. at least that where I would want it. And that's still with out a tuner. Hell a super chips don't even give you the correct a/f radio. Get a gauge and tell us it don't work. I'm not saying to go buy one cause I use to have one. And it does work just not like I wanted. I wanted something that worked throughout the whole rpm range. So then I got sct and that was well worth the money.
Old 09-23-2012, 10:00 AM

How would it do anything at WOT if at WOT the pcm is in open loop mode and ignores the IAT sensor?

Old 09-23-2012, 10:26 AM

Vehicle: 2008 4.7l Dodge Ram
Color: Graphite Grey
Engine: 2008-???? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
4pnt7 is on a distinguished road

I'm not to sure on how to answer that cause I don't know how it actually works.but I do know it did work on my 2002 4.7l.. I had videos of where it changed my a/f but not through out the rpm range like I wanted. I can't find any on my phone but I was gonna post one. Without custom tuning the a/f just bounces every where. That why I say its not for me. And it want consistent. Maybe cause of different temps.