DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > 2012 Dodge Ram Forum

Notices

2012 Dodge Ram Forum For specific discussion of the 2012 Dodge Ram!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 01-10-2014, 07:44 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2014 Express 3.6/8 speed auto
Trim Level: Express
Color: WHITE
Rep:902
oldhp is a splendid one to beholdoldhp is a splendid one to beholdoldhp is a splendid one to beholdoldhp is a splendid one to beholdoldhp is a splendid one to beholdoldhp is a splendid one to beholdoldhp is a splendid one to beholdoldhp is a splendid one to behold
Default Cleaning Out The Catch Can.

Took the cup off first. Then I took the hose off the PCV and poured about a qt of carb cleaner down it. I had a bowl wired underneath the catch can. Really nasty crud came out. I was thinking, if the cup gets full of crud, what is on the other side screen thing? More crud.
Probably will be yearly thing to remove the can and really give it good cleaning.
Still the best mod I've done to my engine, even it if takes some maintenance.
Thought I would let you guys/gals know.
Sponsored links
Old 01-11-2014, 10:12 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2012 Ram 1500 4WD Quad Cab
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Flame Red
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:2549
Hermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond repute

I am under the impression all that is required is to drain it periodically, though cleaning as you described can't hurt. I agree installing a catch can is well worth it.
Old 01-12-2014, 08:55 PM
"Just living the dream"

Vehicle: 2013 Dodge Ram Longhorn
Trim Level: Longhorn Rambox
Color: Prairie Pearl / White Gold Trim
Rep:1634
Chunkem has a brilliant futureChunkem has a brilliant futureChunkem has a brilliant futureChunkem has a brilliant futureChunkem has a brilliant futureChunkem has a brilliant futureChunkem has a brilliant futureChunkem has a brilliant futureChunkem has a brilliant futureChunkem has a brilliant futureChunkem has a brilliant future

Yeah I have to get one....I am a little gun shy because service manager at my dealership said installing one would void my warranty if I brought my truck in with any issues with the motor.....

Enjoy RamForumZ? Support your forum and become a SITE SUPPORTER today!

Please be sure you understand the Ram ForumZ RULES

"MOST OF ALL HAVE FUN AND ENJOY THE SITE"
Old 01-13-2014, 02:39 AM

Vehicle: 2012 Ram 4X4 Crew CAb
Trim Level: LoneStar Rambox
Color: White
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:74
ghorn will become famous soon enough

Claims by dealers that any mods will void the warranty are without basis. They'd have to prove that your catch can installation was the primary cause of any failure of their product. While I personally do not believe a catch can is particularly important.... (If so important then why did both my previous vehicles achieve the extraordinary-high trouble-free miles they attained without one?...over 300K miles on cheap WalMart oil and filters)... it's fairly difficult to imagine any harm it might do.
The dealer/Chrysler would have to show convincing evidence of the harm such a device creates. And Chrysler would be loathe to admit publicly that their product is so sensitive that a device which catches dirty vapors ruins it, even if that unlikely matter were true.
Old 01-13-2014, 08:23 AM
I push the skinny pedal

Vehicle: 2009 Blown 349 Hemi
Trim Level: Sport - Modified
Color: Brilliant Black/Snake Skin Green
Engine: 2009-2012 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:3277
CdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghorn View Post
Claims by dealers that any mods will void the warranty are without basis. They'd have to prove that your catch can installation was the primary cause of any failure of their product. While I personally do not believe a catch can is particularly important.... (If so important then why did both my previous vehicles achieve the extraordinary-high trouble-free miles they attained without one?...over 300K miles on cheap WalMart oil and filters)... it's fairly difficult to imagine any harm it might do.
The dealer/Chrysler would have to show convincing evidence of the harm such a device creates. And Chrysler would be loathe to admit publicly that their product is so sensitive that a device which catches dirty vapors ruins it, even if that unlikely matter were true.
Canada has no Magnuson Act, if a dealership wants to void a warranty they can, but we do have compartmentalized warranties, so only the power train warranty can be voided. And it would be a dick move of any dealership to void the engine based on a catch can, since they obviously aren't a mod friendly dealership.
Old 01-13-2014, 10:26 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Hermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chunkem View Post
Yeah I have to get one....I am a little gun shy because service manager at my dealership said installing one would void my warranty if I brought my truck in with any issues with the motor.....
Simple solution, retain the original hose from the PCV to the intake and put it back prior to a visit to the dealer if you have a potential warranty claim.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghorn View Post
While I personally do not believe a catch can is particularly important.... (If so important then why did both my previous vehicles achieve the extraordinary-high trouble-free miles they attained without one?...over 300K miles on cheap WalMart oil and filters)... it's fairly difficult to imagine any harm it might do.
Understand catch cans do not prevent a failure of any sort. Rather, by collecting the crap coming out of the PCV, it keeps the intake clean. By doing so performance is maintained and saves time and/or money having to clean the throttle body. Also, the crap coming out of the PCV can have the effect of reducing octane. So while vehicles without a catch can can and do achieve high mileage, catch cans do offer a real benefit.
Old 01-13-2014, 06:15 PM

Vehicle: 2012 ram
Rep:117
Red-Stripe will become famous soon enoughRed-Stripe will become famous soon enough

What's the theory again, on pvc oil and water lowering fuel octane?
Old 01-14-2014, 10:39 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red-Stripe View Post
What's the theory again, on pvc oil and water lowering fuel octane?
Because of dilution.
Old 01-14-2014, 07:58 PM

Vehicle: 2012 ram
Rep:117
Red-Stripe will become famous soon enoughRed-Stripe will become famous soon enough

oil and/or water should if anything, raise octane, not lower it, no?
Old 01-14-2014, 08:01 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2013 ram crew cab sport
Trim Level: sport
Color: True blue pearl
Rep:69
hemi4452 will become famous soon enough

I put mine on yesterday. Figured it cant hurt by reading all the write ups on it.