DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > Dodge Ram Detailing and General Maintenance Forum > Oil Change

Notices

Oil Change Ready to change the oil in your Dodge Ram? Engine -Trans - Differential - Transfer Case

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 08-23-2012, 03:35 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Black
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
Fordconvert is on a distinguished road
Cool OIL: Changing and catching

So I hit 2,000 miles on my truck today and realized I should at least START thinking about changing the oil. I'm curious if most of you guys are sticking with synthetic oil or going with the ol fashioned stuff?

And since we're talking about oil, it's been suggested on these forums that a catchcan is a good mod for the truck. I had only heard of catch cans for race cars, drag cars, etc. in the past. What say you, worth it or not?

I've been trying not to look at these forums for the past week because I THINK I have all the mods that I need on my truck, but sure enough you guys always have more ideas that I can't live without...
Sponsored links
Old 08-23-2012, 04:22 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2012 RAM 1500 Big Horn
Trim Level: Big Horn Crew Cab
Color: Mineral Grey
slobes is on a distinguished road

Funny, I was just thinking the same thing and JUST hit 2000 miles on Tuesday...small world.

A lot of owners of my previous car, which was a sports car (Genesis Coupe), love to post pictures of all the oil they would catch making its way back into the engine. I was always very surprised to see how much oil a catch can actually removes from the intake in a short amount of time. This is something that I am definitely considering as I have never heard of an adverse effect being caused by it. I believe it is something that manufacturers leave out because it's just another thing to maintain.

I am not a car guru, so I could be wrong. If others agree, does anyone know of a good catch can for the RAM? I know most are universal, but maybe there is a specific one.

Sticking with my free dealership provided oil changes...which of course means traditional oil
Old 08-23-2012, 04:53 PM
Addicted to the Z

Vehicle: 2014 RAM 1500 Limited
Trim Level: Crew Cab 4X4 Limited
Color: PX8 Black
Engine: 2014-20?? 182.3ci (3.0L) L630DOHC V6 240hp 420lb/ft Eco-Diesel
Rep:2463
RansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond repute

Went with 100% synthetic at 5,000 kms and never looked back. The Amsoil 0W20 that I am using has been an excellent oil and I have no regrets. I have also installed a catch can from BT and, like everyone else has posted, it is catching alot of oil that would have gone into my intake. Definitely a mod worth doing.
Old 08-23-2012, 09:30 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: .
Rep:4364
Asur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond repute

Same as with RansRAM, hit 5000klm and went full synthetic. Also have a catch can.
Old 08-23-2012, 10:05 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: White
Sprinkfitter669 is on a distinguished road

Just hit 2700 miles today in the new truck love it. So it sounds like synthetic is deffinatly the way to go? Where is the catch can installed exactly?
Old 08-23-2012, 10:40 PM
Addicted to the Z

Vehicle: 2014 RAM 1500 Limited
Trim Level: Crew Cab 4X4 Limited
Color: PX8 Black
Engine: 2014-20?? 182.3ci (3.0L) L630DOHC V6 240hp 420lb/ft Eco-Diesel
Rep:2463
RansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond repute
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprinkfitter669 View Post
Just hit 2700 miles today in the new truck love it. So it sounds like synthetic is deffinatly the way to go? Where is the catch can installed exactly?
The catch can is plumbed in between the PCV valve outlet (Top Left Rear on engine) to the left side of the throttle body inlet. The can mounts on the left front of the engine block and some can be mounted on the upper rad supports. Here is my install thread for reference, http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=101219
Old 08-24-2012, 11:47 AM

Trim Level: Sport
Color: Dark Red Cherry
Rep:201
audio1der has a spectacular aura aboutaudio1der has a spectacular aura aboutaudio1der has a spectacular aura about

I plan on going to syn. oil at our first oil change. With our cold weather for half the year its just cheap insurance to me.
Old 08-24-2012, 03:50 PM

Trim Level: SLT Lone Star
Color: Sagebrush
Rep:-5
jgos929 has a little shameless behaviour in the past

I switched to synthetic at 500miles and catch can = pointless mod. Manufacturers dont put them in their automobiles because they're not needed.
Old 08-24-2012, 07:28 PM

Trim Level: Sport
Color: Silver
Rep:16
X231 is on a distinguished road

Just did my first oil change and went to Mobil 1 5w-20 and a Napa Gold filter. The synthetic really isn't that much more than the blend and I think it's far superior for the small price difference. All my research indicates that Napa Gold (same as Wix) is one of the better filters out there and it too is priced very reasonable at $5.69 and readily available. Best deal I found for Mobil 1 was at wally world but they seem to be hit and miss on the 5w-20 at least around here.
Old 08-24-2012, 09:55 PM

Vehicle: 2012 Ram
Trim Level: Sport Crewcab
Color: True Blue Pearl
Rep:248
LeftCoast has a spectacular aura aboutLeftCoast has a spectacular aura aboutLeftCoast has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgos929 View Post
I switched to synthetic at 500miles and catch can = pointless mod. Manufacturers dont put them in their automobiles because they're not needed.
I think that oil going down the intake is not needed. I'm getting a catch can.