DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > Dodge Ram Detailing and General Maintenance Forum > Oil Change

Notices

Oil Change Ready to change the oil in your Dodge Ram? Engine -Trans - Differential - Transfer Case

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 09-05-2012, 12:17 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2012 Ram
Trim Level: SLT (Lone Star)
Color: Deep Cherry Red Crystal Pearl
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
pendeflex is on a distinguished road
Default oil change light and synthetic oil

(I apologize in advance if this question has been brought up. I looked through the forum and didn't see my question. Sorry if I overlooked it.)

I am a bit confused by the owner's manual when it comes to oil changes. The manual states that I can go up to approximately 8,000 miles between oil changes. But for years, I've been with the understanding that oil changes should occur about every 3,000 to 4,000 miles. Should I go with what the manual says?

Also, the last oil change I did was at 8,000 miles, and I went with Royal Purple mostly because a friend got me a deal I could not refuse. When should the oil change light come on? Will it come on automatically at a preset odometer reading, or does the engine have a way of knowing when the oil needs to be changed?

It would be ideal to get the oil change light to come on when the truck actually needs an oil change.

Any insight would be much appreciated.
Old 09-05-2012, 12:49 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: .
Rep:4364
Asur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond repute

Depending on when you did your last oil change, your driving habits, the ECU will let you know when to change your oil. With today's oils like royal purple, full synthetics etc, and how today's engines are engineered, you can go much further on an oil change than what used to be recommended. Changing your oil more often will not adversely affect your engine, It may even help it, but it can take a few extra dollars out of your pocket. There are many threads here at the forum on engine oils and in those you can read about members and there oil changing principles, I myself like to change my oil after the first few thousand miles, then every 3000-4000 miles after that or every 6 months, whichever comes first, I use full synthetic oil and after my second oil change, I keep some of the oil and have it analyzed to see whats happening in my engine since I have a tendency of keeping my Vehicles for a long time. Changing oil is a personnel preference. I am sure you will agree that changing your oil less often than the recommended times may hinder your engine and your warranty. I am sure many others will have there own preferences. JMO
Old 09-05-2012, 12:56 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT
Color: White
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:1385
snrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud of

If you do what the manual says you'll be safe. I just change mine at 5,000 miles though to make it easy, and it's cheap so who cares if you waste a few bucks every year. I use amsoil.

The oil change indicator is like he said above, not on a mileage timer, but takes in to account many things.

Do whatever you're comfortable with, just don't go beyond what the manual says. More often won't hurt.

Breathing in and out is good enough for me.